Team Nickname

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Gioca, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England Raging Revolution? :D

-G

2. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AC DC would be pretty cool though :D

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Rochester Rhinos is cool.

Rochester 'Raging' Rhinos is not cool.

4. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    The U.S. is not made up of people born here in America, but there are millions of people who imigrate to the U.S. every year. The U.S. is a melting pot of different cultures and so i think it's ok to have names like FC or SC, traditional or non-traditional soccer names. It's ok to have Rochester Raging Rhinos or Rochester Rhinos.

5. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Dallas Raging Burn?

or the

Kansas City Raging Wiz?

.......Ahhh but I kid 1996.

6. Dougly

Dougly New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Cape Neddick, Maine
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My point exactly... no matter how ridiculous some folks might think a club's name is.... the "Raging" in Rochester doesn't seem to be doing them any harm with their fan support, which is absolutely awesome. I don't care if they're called the Rochester Raging Rebel Rambling Rootin' Tootin' Rhinos - if they bring their level of fan support to the MLS, they'll be welcomed by everyone.

7. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Bingo!

The Rochester Ragin' Rhinos identity is, quite frankly, a tremendously successful example of establishing brand equity. We're talking about a team that is entering its tenth year of existence and the vast majority of the fan base is supportive of the club's name, logo and color palette AS IS. It doesn't matter what the naysayers - most of whom are fans of other teams in other markets - think about the Ragin' Rhinos identity. Bottom line? The Ragin' Rhinos' fans love it.

They should. If the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos are ultimately successful in their goal to join MLS, their brand package will be poised to achieve the delicate balancing act that all outstanding identity packages strive for: maintaining tradition while uniquely positioning the product in the marketplace.

Think about it. Given their nine-plus seasons without a name, logo or color change, the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos enjoy a level of brand consistancy and longevity which surpasses every MLS club with the exception of the Columbus Crew, Los Angeles Galaxy and New England Revolution. Yes, even vaunted DC United has undergone a change to the eagle icon in its primary logo. That's maintaining a tradition.

Yet, given the current branding packages of Major League Soccer's member clubs, the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos brand would be a rarity amongst the league's clubs in several ways. The Ragin' Rhinos would be the only MLS club officially named after a species of animal. The Ragin' Rhinos would be one of only two MLS clubs - along with the Los Angeles Galaxy - to utilize Green, Yellow/Gold and Black as its color palette. The Ragin' Rhinos would be one of only three MLS clubs - along with DC United and FC Dallas - to feature an animal in its primary logo, and said logo would be decidedly different in design then the stylized depictions of an eagle and a bull used by DC and Dallas. These attributes would establish the Ragin' Rhinos brand as being significantly different - i.e. unique in all of MLS.

Sports "traditions" - including those of soccer - vary from marketplace to marketplace, depending upon the history of the franchise in question. In Rochester, history and tradition embrace what some might consider a "corny" team name, a "childish" team logo and "garish" team colors. Still, its up to the supporters of the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos to determine what constitutes their club's traditions. So be it. That's as it should be.

The vast majority seem to have spoken loud and clear: they love their current name in its entirety, their current logo in all its cartoonish charm and their current colors in all of their bold glory.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well said Brian in Boston.

9. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Still sucks...

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brian in Boston again.

One of the best posts I've read in a while.

-G

11. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003

Yes well said mate.

12. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Heehee...
    Chicago Ragin' Fire....its "Ragin'" not Raging. No "g" means extra cheesy.

13. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    "Corny", "childish" and "garish" aren't my opinion of the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos identity package... nor, the opinion of the vast majority of Ragin' Rhinos supporters.

No, I used those words because they're the type of descriptive tripe bandied about by the likes of self-important, oh-so-traditional soccer snobs such as yourself. Hence, the quotation marks around each word, as well as the prefacing phrase, "...what some might consider". You are obviously a member of the "some" I referenced.

You are more than welcome to your opinion regarding the Rochester Ragin' Rhinos identity package. Still, as long as the vast majority of the team's fans support the identity... well, your opinion on the subject doesn't matter in the least.

Which, along with my critical analysis of just why the Ragin' Rhinos identity package constitutes a sports marketing success, was the point of my post.

By the way... anyone who willingly identifies himself as "mouseboy" in a public forum, probably shouldn't cast aspersions on a soccer team that labels itself the Ragin' Rhinos. :D

14. Adi_Dassler

Adi_Dassler New Member

YUK YUK, Brian.... you're welcome to come to Rachacha anytime.

I am a Rhino's supporter and I think the name and logo are rather childish but it bothers me not.

A Ragin Rhinos by any other name would still have Open Cup wins over the Rev, the Burn, the Crew, the Rapids, the Fire, the Mutiny. If Rochester's moniker offends any MLS snobs, tuff. It must be humiliating to get beaten by a cartoonish animal.

The name works in Rochester as far as marketing and getting fan support; but as I said, it's the team on the pitch that draws my passion.

15. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    "It also could be Toronto, which is believed to be the front-runner for 2007 expansion plans. Other cities in the mix include Houston, San Antonio, Seattle and Cleveland."

Guess Garber thought the Ragin' Rhino's name is cheesy too. Oh well better luck next time!

Mate the Rhino is not real. Its just a lame cartoon.

16. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Could be worse. They could've ripped off the city's old WFL team. Of course, Rochester didn't have a WFL team.

But Chicago did:

[​IMG]

17. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Yes, I'm sure that's a reason Rochester could potentially be passed over for expansion. :rolleyes:

Give it a rest. Rochester's success or failure in the expansion derby will be based on the financial wherewithal of their ownership group. Period.

18. rhinosfan392

rhinosfan392 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    I would like to retract my opinion about removing the Raging from Raging Rhinos. I no longer think that it should be changed at all. Mostly because it seems to anoy so many others. It won't be nearly as anoying as things are going to get when we get in our new stadium and the profits increase dramaticly.

While MLS teams are absorbing league losses the Rhinos will be experiencing the luxury of fielding MLS quality teams and capturing a few more US Open Cup championships. The Rhinos will have more funds available FROM PROFIT for player salary than any MLS side.

19. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US
    Thanks for that post. I was starting to feel that Rochester fans are becoming, dare I say, less than thrilled with the possibility of moving up to MLS, and a bit tired of Garber's treatment of Rochester.

Personally, I think Rochester does not need MLS, but not sure Rochester felt the same way. Now I'm beginning to think otherwise. Am I close?

20. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    No it doesn't. It looks like the thousands of other clubs that have FC in their names. I don't like that, I already know it's a football club and they don't have any other operations. It's not like Rochester Rhinos are also a rugby, handball, basketball or athletic team...

21. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good post Brian in Boston (rep duly applied)

I do disagree somewhat, as strong as the local identity may be, I think that the MLS would expect a certain level of professionalism from any new franchises. (Lets leave the 'ReAL' SL debate for the relevant thread) The days of the Burn, Clash and Wiz are gladly behind the league now. MLS is striving for credibility on the world stage.

The whole cartoon like logo and cheesy name would be a step in the wrong direction for MLS. Such monikers are usually associated with minor league sports in the US and really it's my opinion they should stay there.

There's no reason to drop the Rhino from the name or logo, just find a more professional way to represent the animal in the logo. Nothing need be lost.

As for the colors? Check out some of the old pictures from 10 years ago - BUT - use the colors you want, if people buy the kits then it's not a problem. Something distinctive wouldn't be a disaster. There are some ugly jerseys all over world football. As long as the kit looked good and given Adidas is in charge of that now I don't see the problem there.

I'm not saying a complete brand make-over, that would strip Rochester of one of it's key strengths, but lift's give it something of a facelift if we are to welcome them to the Top Tier of pro football in the US.

I hope you guys get in.

Al

22. rhinosfan392

rhinosfan392 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    The only way we will get in is if we buy an existing team such as SJ or KC. Our management is too intellegent to pay the full franchise fee. We don't need to move up. MLS wants us but knows we won't pay. As a PROFITABLE city we would lessen some of the anual MLS losses until it turns the corner. This is why Rochester is never mentioned anymore with expasion. On the other hand MLS would love to see Rochester get an existing team.

Actually it may do more for professional soccer in this country if Rochester stays in DIV I. Rochester an Charleston can be the model of what can be accomplished in the smaller markets and help other like cities trying to sell local governments on the viability and potential success of a SSS. I think this is where the growth of the sport can be tremendous. Not with cities that already have the NFL, NHL and MLB.

23. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok how bout rochester rhinos or rochester FC rhinos

24. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or better yet how 'bout the TEN year old "Rochester Ragin' Rhinos" moniker.

(the equivalent of a BUMP in this thread)

25. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Fantastic post. Been saying this all along, but most of the Rochester supporters are content with their lower division-lacrosse-indoor soccer image. The MLS isn't considering Rochester anyway, so let them revel in all their Velveeta Cheesy-ness. They are passing over small towns anyway. HELLO TORONTO!