Team News 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by kgilbert78, May 14, 2018.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new thread for the new season for "a German team".....;);)

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and Bananenflanke repped this.
  2. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/05/puma-gladbach-18-19-third-kit.html
    it has the ugly yellow bar again! how could that happen?

http://www.goal.com/en-tza/news/why...ewster-dilemma-this/tozvsr1cradt1srgp2ck1753i
    I'm very sceptical towards Hecking right now but I don't endorse the "a manager with a reputation in Germany for preferring older, more experienced players"-line

not sure how realistic this transfer is but our offense is 'open country' at the moment... other than in midfield where we have plenty of talent the only young competitor up in front is Villalba (might go on loan) while all the established forwards had their problems this season...

hard to tell... it's youth soccer...

3. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Dieter says it's no secret that the club has needs on the full back position(s)
    and he's wishing for a 'different' kind of striker (acc. to SportBILD Gregoritsch might be a candidate)

Max apparently is planning to raid the English youth squads:
    https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive/
    his agency (like Stindl's and Drmic') is SportsTotal I see; mother is German (we might save expenses for a language teacher which would open up a whole new vista of transfer market possibilities ;-)
    he definitely looks light on his feet:

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm liking some of the new Puma stuff. A nod to tradition.

5. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like that 3rd jersey...thanks for posting.How on earth it has leaked out so early???
    That beautiful green and black accents in the bottom certainly go down the drain with that huge ugly yellow post bank logo u are right.But we all knew this..the problem with postbank is that their yellow color will look terrible on any kit and jersey no matter what they do...only BVB would get away with it..or Nottingham Forest OMG i didnt just mention Forest...am certainly old school and ancient..dangggg:whistling::whistling::eek::eek::speechless::speechless: :speechless::speechless::confused::confused::(:(:cautious::cautious:

6. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope the quality is as good as the old ones o_O:rolleyes::thumbsdown:

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be heresy, but in general, while I like Puma, adidas quality is a bit better. I have a lot of team gear from the Crew, and it's pretty good, most years. 2010 wasn't--very uncomfortable (Nike is poor as well for wearability).

8. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    the Bennetts-deal isn't confirmed yet but it seems all parties have given their approval

acc. to Het Laatste News (Belgium) Onyekuru (owned by Everton, currently on loan at Anderlecht) is showing up today because he desperately wants to play for Borussia next season (on loan again)... just talks they say ... I don't know: already a troublemaker at Eupen ... and allegedly his relationship with Anderlecht's manager is pretty tense, too... but what do I know? maybe it's just a typical half-cooked internet-transfer-rumor and maybe the opposite parties are the real troublemakers...

another rumor about a Brazilian from FC Santos: Jean Mota
    http://www.espn.com.br/futebol/arti...negociar-jean-mota-procurado-por-clube-alemao

acc. to Focus Favre already vetoed Lichtsteiner's move to BVB... that's the Favre we know ;-)... yes, already 34 years old... but I still hope Max is gonna call him and Lichtsteiner is making a left-turn when coming up north alongside the Rhine...

9. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I didn't post much in the ruckrunde because I got sick of repeating my gripes with Hecking's instance that the team refuse to continue to play whenever a 1-0 lead was achieved.

But it looks like I'm going to spend this summer gushing about the work Eberl is doing up front & on the wings; with Brewster, Onyekuru & Bennetts; the way I spent last summer gushing about him securing Cuisance, Zakaria & Neuhaus. If there's legs to the Cucurella rumors as well, I'll be absolutely in love with the roster...although I wouldn't complain if Eberl could pounce on Henrichs as well, given that Leverkusen will be bringing Weiser in.

10. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seems like Vince G will be good as gone at Gladbach and will be jettisoned to 96 next seeon:cautious::thumbsdown: Thats a shame...am sure you guys just like me had high hopes for the lad here at the Park no??? What the facckkreally happened?
    :confused::confused::(:(:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_O:sick::sick::unsure::unsure::speechless::speechless::oops::oops:

11. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I never really loved that signing. He's great with set pieces, but he's too slow and not a could enough dribbler to play on the wing for you, and Hecking never used a midfield triangle to make room for Grifo in the middle.

With Bennetts & Onyekuru coming in, I just don't see the need for Grifo. Onyekuru, Hazard, Traore, Bennetts, Hoffman, Johnson, and Cuisance/Benes being able to deputize, is a lot of depth on the wings.

12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    acc. to media:
    + the wrong Borussia is going after Zakaria (no chance this season I guess... except they go wild regarding the transfer fee)
    + the wrong & the glorious Borussia are going after Favre's Plea (no chance for us I guess)
    + the Brewster-deal is off says KICKER, while BILD claims Borussia isn't thinking of backing out at all (L'pool is pissed and cancelled the friendly against the glorious Borussia... it's like a girl who is refusing to going out with you anymore... and the complained at UEFA... I'm totally confused: is the fan friendship off? do I have to root for Real at the CL-final? am I allowed to watch Kloppool-matches anymore? and in general: who is right and who is wrong?
    + the spread transfer fee of 5M for Grifo must be a very bad joke
    + the Onyekuru-deal seems to pretty serious... my gut feeling isn't very good on this but nobody should overestimate my gut feeling...

13. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    yes, high hopes here, too... we don't know for sure what happened! just some entry points:
    - when the team started into season Grifo was injured... the team scored and it was difficult to get in
    - pretty early when Grifo was healthy again Hecking complained about his attitude at the training (man, he's Italian! the stereotype is: Italians don't shine at the training but they are broad awake when it counts! Hecking should haven known ;-)
    - Grifo never get sufficient minutes to really gel with the team
    - when he got some playing time most of his actions with the ball were target-oriented but without the ball he often looked at least as lethargic as the rest of the team
    - later on Hecking renewed his criticism regarding his training performance
    - at the end there was a (kind of) pejorative hand movement of Grifo towards Hecking... not totally sure how this should be interpreted
    my guess: a) Hecking and Grifo aren't on the same wavelenght PLUS b) Hecking favors speedy wingers (which Grifo clearly is not) and thinks there is no place for him in the center (questions why they signed him at all)
    I'm disappointed & frustrated...
    anyway I heard Grifo told some days ago that he wants to 'bite through' at Borussia and I got fresh hope... now this... leaving after one season neither flatters the player nor the club...

14. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #14 Bananenflanke, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    seems you were right (so far)! I still think another coach would be smart enough to use him in the right way (like Streich did) ... I think Grifo would have been useful in Favre's system like Arango was but Hecking has another idea of how to play on the wings... so it's kind of plausible what Hecking does ... ... I'm still disapointed... and in my case it doesn't help to warm up with Hecking
    I'm sceptical regarding the depth on the wings: we already thought we had plenty before season started... turned out that Traoré and Johnson are more injured than healthy season after season... Herrmann is the same case... not sure if we really can count on them ... and Hofmann for my liking is no real winger (I stopped wondering what he is and why we signed him) ... just like I don't see Benes or Cuisance as wingers... I still hope Hecking is going to use Wendt/Elvedi/and at least! one new high class and defensively experienced signing as wing backs completed by a center-midfield of three with f.e. Cuisance totally let off the leash in front

15. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Bennetts + Onyekuru seem to suggest otherwise, of course
    (then again I heard Bennetts should be able to play all postions on the wing... I only know the video... looked like a clear-cut attacking winger to me.... maybe I have to re-watch ;-)

16. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are still linked to the la Masia LB Cucurella as well...if you could secure Cucurella, Brewster & Henrichs (who you unfortunately have not yet been linked to), I'd be absolutely ecstatic with the roster; even though I'd still begrudge the coach...

And I mentioned Hoffman because I actually like him as a wingback when you play a back 3, even if I'm not fond of him as a pure winger. But there's still Hazard, Onyekuru, Traore & Bennetts that should take most of the minutes on the wings when you play with a back 4.

17. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I almost forgot about Cucurella because we didn't hear so much for quite some time... the 'linked'-thing is often quite tenuous nowadays... as far as I know there is just one source and it isn't a reliable one... but he's stimulateing my fantasy ;-) and surely is a plausible Eberl-target... still I give it 10% max (at the moment)

I don't care if we are not (and never will be) linked to Henrichs as long as we SIGN him in the end! ;-) but this a nice dream I guess... even if he wants to join us we most likely are talking about a transfer fee of 20M and more... not gonna happen, 1% max ;-) unfortunately! please Max, prove me wrong! (then again I have the feeling that one of our CBs could leave us... and if Juve f.e. is gonna pay 30M+ for Ginter it could happen...)

I think Hofmann is usuable on the wings when supported by a strong full back and when the coach likes his wingers to 'move inwards' more often than not... that what's naturally suits him (unfortunatley and strangely enough his last pass usually is negligent and like Hazard he's only firing blanks when he breaks through himself)... at the moment it's difficult to get what Hecking is up to: if we really gonna sign an oldstyle center-attacker it sounds more like crossballs from the outside (anti-Favre-style so to say)... not sure if Hofmann is the right guy for this... overall his style is too 'bodiless' regardless which position he plays... I can imagine him looking really good at Barcelona but the 'Borussia Barcelona'-times on Youtube are long long gone
    it seems I have to rewatch his wingback-appearances, too ;-)

https://www.sportlineng.com/2018/05/24/thorgan-hazard-opens-sevilla-speculation/

18. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #18 HANS-GUNTER BRUNS, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    ----> Thanks for helping out "Once Again" regarding Hofman--> and Hofmann for my liking is no real winger ( I stopped wondering what he is and why we signed him ) Am laughing too which is great!
    :p:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes::sneaky::laugh::whistling::eek::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

19. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Henrichs could be on the move for a reasonable rate. He lost his PT under their new coach and with Weiser coming in to play opposite Wendell, he could have even more trouble getting minutes this season. So I feel like there's a good chance we see him move this summer.

20. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not that we have been successful thru the past years against BVB,but now with Favre in command we can kiss that idea goodbye .....but it may be great for the league eh and competing with Hollywood??? BVB might be the next Buli powerhouse under Lucie:eek::confused:o_O:cautious:
    Some sort of bitter sweet feeling over here when i think about Favre and how he left us...wish i knew if he cracked under pressure and being too much of sissie/coward to stay in the trenches with the lads thru thick and thin...or there was other issues?? Well am sure he will not have any excuses at BVB...or perhaps even BVB aint good enough for his taste???:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll root for Favre...as I think that's a gross mischaracterization of his departure in my eyes...but it's only a matter of time before Watzke's ego rubs him the wrong way in Dortmund, like it did Tuchel. Favre's very different from Tuchel, but both are...unique characters and require some degree of grace to deal with. And Watzke has shown that grace is a quality he has in short supply.

22. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re-watching some You g Boys matches and I’m bummed Eberl didn’t just raid them. Hütter would be an upgrade on Hecking; Mbabu would be a great buy that let Elvedi play CB (where I like him more); Assale would be a great fit alongside Lars n Rafa either on the wing or as a part of an attacking trident; and Nuhu could help the CB depth.

You’d be just a LB away from having strong depth across the pitch and a ton of talent in your best ~15-20 players.

23. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gladbach's new England import talks about his change
    Bennetts: "A dream to get such a chance"
    He's the first "real" new signing for the upcoming season: Keanan Bennetts. Now the 19-year-old outside tracker, who moves from Tottenham Hotspur to the Lower Rhine, has spoken about his move to the foals.

[​IMG]
    Can not wait to start in Gladbach: Keanan Bennetts.
    © imago[​IMG]
    Speech problems are definitely not expected when Bennetts starts its preparations with the new colleagues on July 1st. How good it is about his knowledge of German, proved the new purchase in an interview with Borussia "Fohlen.tv", which he tweeted. "My mother is from Hamburg, which is why I grew up bilingually, which is why I speak German so well," says Bennetts.

For four years, the English junior national player signed in Gladbach. A key reason for his choice were the development opportunities at the traditional club, Bennetts explains. He will not only think of the examples of Andreas Christensen or Michael Cuisance, who were able to play in the limelight over and above the pure talent status in Mönchengladbach. "Borussia are a huge team in Germany, and young players have a dream to get a chance, so if the club puts so much faith in you, you just have to say 'yes'," says Bennetts.

[​IMG]
    It has been evident for many years that the managers in charge of sporting director Max Eberl have shown this trust to young players. Bennetts, who played for Tottenham in Premier League 2 and the UEFA Youth League, also hope that the youngster on the Lower Rhine will be able to master the next steps in the development. Eberl emphasizes: "We trust him to leap into the Bundesliga."

On 1 July the foal elf starts the preparation. For a while, the import from England has to wait until he can start playing in his new club. But Bennetts can hardly wait to finally start his service at Borussia Park: "I just want to start," says Bennetts.
    ;):rolleyes::eek::thumbsup::cautious::devilish::alien::ninja:

24. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I'll root for Favre, too!
    Favre is a perfectionist and 14/15 he realized that he had already squeezed the team's quality to the max... actually it maybe was even 'more' than the max when you look at how all the tight matches have fallen in our favour in that season
    and at the same time he realized that the team got sick of his drills (and drill it was) ... he saw his expiration date coming I guess... time to leave!
    maybe we'll never know, maybe he just got exhausted...
    I think we can exclude:
    1) problems between Favre and the club's management (when we played a friendly against Nice in pre-season it was all smiling, hugging and paying compliments... and Eberl underlined that the club would work with Favre again)
    2) Favre striving for a greener meadow (at Nice he most likely didn't get paid better, the league is weaker, the support even when attacking the table-top much more muted and most important: he lost way more key-players each season than at Borussia... I mean Koziello leaving for Goattown... really?)
    no, rather, there are some signs that the precision tuning between him and the team was waning...and when he was gone the tactical corset was being loosened and the team all of a sudden looked so unrealistic 'cool' 15/16... unfortunately this effect proved to be ephemeral and the hard detail-oriented work and the tactical clear-sightedness we lost with Favre turned out to be a real blow in the long run...
    [one reason (in addition to the injuries) why Hecking isn't getting full headwind from the supporters is because some are having a (vague) hunch that the team back then started to become sated and unfocused and not willing to push the envelope...]

while I totally agree that the glorious Borussia is a much better 'habitat' for Favre's complicated character than the wrong Borussia I don't second the bad-boy-Watzke-epic... more likely Tuchel stood in his own way... there were atmospheric disturbances all over... between Tuchel and Watzke... and Zorc... and Rauball... and chief of scouting Mislintat (currently Arsenal)... and if that wasn't enough (and at the end much more important) between Tuchel and huge parts of the team (especially the established players like Reus, Sahin, Schmelzer etc.... while Ginter and Weigl f.e. stayed loyal as they say)
    I think leadership/psychology is the key-competence for a coach... if you don't get the team's leaders on your side all your tactical finesse is useless... if the key-players are against you, you are done... it's the 2010s and the players (at the rich clubs at least) are much more powerful than ever before... doesn't matter if you are right or wrong

anyway: interesting to see what Favre is gonna do at BVB in footballing terms and how he does respond to the much bigger egos and stress-factors over there... and likewise Tuchel at Paris and how he's getting along with self-absorbed divas like Neymar (I think he is smart and able to learn from mistakes)

25. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    the anti-Hecking party called for Rose and Hütter (before Hütter signed at Frankfurt, of course)... and now it's Hasenköttl
    at least we are linked to Assale (it's the oldest rumor, even older than Cucurella ;-)
    what about this 'young boy' called Sow? should we sign him? ;-)))))))))))

while I'm thinkig about fresh blood too it's maybe more interesting at the moment who's gonna leave... new additions are not possible without the other it seems... squad is already too big (even though some clowns claim that Borussia's medical department is strongly demanding a squad of not less than 35 players ;-))))