Team News 2015/2016

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by kgilbert78, May 28, 2015.

1. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vestergaard is good as done with us...and will hopefully provide much needed stability in the back-line and in the aerial dog fight .I like his long crosses and ball distribution from the back line very much...as for his speed...well players with that height and physique normally lack top speed so its a trade off for us...his still raw and very young tho so there is room for improvement even in the speed department with proper coaching and right support from other players.Biggest boost would be Dominguez coming back healthy and strong:thumbsup::rolleyes:;):D

Christensen is not going anywhere...at least for another full year.But if he continues to impress as he did in the past year...id doubt Eberl can flex his muscles against the EPL.If thru some miracle Eberl can hand him a longterm contract then he has managed to do the impossible:cautious::alien::devilish:

Man-o-man Sommer leaving like this ..if it does get inked actually would be a true pain in the neck.Happened so fast..that its stupid

What would truly seal this season's reputation as theeeeeee most Bizarro season in club history would be Kramer suddenly jumping on board...that would be a game changer for us:speechless::sick::sneaky:

Rosebud and LuckyStriker repped this.
  2. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #452 Rosebud, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    We'll see. Vestegaard has a lot of very sloppy give-aways on very basic passes on his resume. And while watching them to check out Grillitsch, it didn't seem like he had found the solution to that problem yet...granted I was much more focused on the young austrian & Oztunali.

EDIT:
    Re; Christensen. We can only hope that Chelsea decide to stupidly once again sell a young talent to a BuLi club so that they can fund a move for a bigger (older) name; the way they once gifted KdB to FC VW. Which isn't out of the realm of possibility. Though many seem to think it'd be wise for them to respond to missing out on the CL next season by turning to more youth and doing a small rebuild...I struggle to believe that will actually happen at this point.

Not with both Arsenal & Tottenham finishing in the top 4, and Payet & friends leading West Ham to an excellent season on eve of their move into the Olympic Stadium. Seeing their London rivals all experiencing such strong seasons, while their big league rivals in Manchester make big coaching changes, and Kloppo start to get to build his own team in Liverpool; is going to make Chelsea do some stupid things this summer. And depending on what next season brings, even stupider things next summer.

Hopefully Christensen is one of these stupid things. I was more excited by the arrival of Elvedi at the time, adore Jantschke, and sympathize with Alvaro Dominguez's struggles for fitness deeply...******** back problems, I'm ready for my cyborg spinal cord...but Christensen has proven his class & retaining him as well would be a huge triumph.

3. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The quick fast link-up's he does seem sloppy...and thats not even the fast link-ups we play here at Gladbach which is our bread and butter. But i like his long balls to different areas and vision of the pitch relative to the formation of the players on it.I have a feeling he can fix it tho ( keeping them fingers crossed) and i also like strong players its a must in the demanding physical football of today...and he ceratinly is an absolute workhorse.
    :thumbsdown::eek::cautious:

Rosebud repped this.
  4. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't say that his long passing really stuck out to me in my limited viewings, but I've grown to be more dubious of players hitting occasional long passes right on the money without being tidy passers in general. Obviously some maestro's like Hummels or Xhaka can launch them with absolute precision, and many others can hit them well enough with enough regularity to give their attackers a chance to make a play on the ball. But I have a hard time not attributing those types of highlight reel passes to good fortune if they aren't coming constantly or paired with a sharp shorter passing game.

Hopefully as we see more of him, and your staff helps him develop further, we find that he truly does hit those long balls well; and it isn't just a case of him getting lucky while hoofing it up field...like Naldo managed to do enough times to convince so many that he had any skills outside of his own box, that did not involve set pieces.

As for the height/aerial thing, I don't disagree about it being valuable. I just think it's much more important when you're a team who sits deep & plays on the counter like Athletico Madrid or Wolfsburg. There you let your big bruisers just beat up the attackers without exposing them in space or asking them to help guide a sharp possession game. But that's not who you are, and Schubert has moved you even further from this than you were under Favre.

Though the swiss tactician's genius in possession is tough to argue against with any credibility; he was far from the forefront of the modern wave of pressing & high-backlines. His defenses were very cleanly organized, but they sat very deep for a side who didn't live on the counter...despite being proficient at it...and they did not press the opposition high up the field. In that team I would have had fewer questions of Vestegaard; even though the back 3 that Schubert introduced elevates some of the concerns about his passing relative to the back 4.

PS I really need to start using the preview post option, instead of just posting my initial response & then expanding on it via edits while you quote the original. lol

5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gladbach have to find a real CF with speed at this point. Doesn't need to start, but can't be a liability either. That's with Hahn staying central-which I'm all for. He and Stindl alone simply aren't enough with the former's injury history and the latter's lack of pace.

Tell ya what Pep: Give us Joe if you want Yann so bad and I'll take that bet.............

Pending any other "surprises", fill in the DM blanks and pray for better health-and another quality keeper somewhere I guess.

6. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #456 Rosebud, May 20, 2016
    Eh. With how crisp you are with the ball, Raffael is fulcrum of your attack in my eyes. Not whichever guys is charging past him into the space he creates when he latches onto the ball. While I'd love someone with good size & dangerous pace to groom, I'm much more concerned with that kid having the skill & creativity to fill Raffael's shoes as one of your biggest goal threats. Because you need the other things to, but without that base it's just not gunna work.

I sometimes wonder if Hazard has it in him to succeed Raffael in time, but I just don't feel like he has the necessary nose for goal, and he's certainly not as comfortable/accustomed to the beatings Raffael takes fighting for/to-maintain the ball.

That's why Volland would've been such a nice fit, and someone like Eggestein would be the dream...actually my dream is Correa, but it's tough to imagine him leaving Athletico as long as they can keep Simeone there and he doesn't outgrow them; ditto Fekir though he's not gunna happen because he'll end up at PSG or a club with that kind of wagebill, once he proves he's healthy & choose to leave Lyon...They have the graceful touch, creativity, as well as the physical attributes to someday replace Raffael as the lynchpin of your attack.

I wonder about Werner to, should he opt against the joining the cluster******** commonly known as Leipzig's forward rotation. Though he's one who's development hit a snag & has yet to experience the bounce back that we saw from Volland under Nagelsmann...as he can start to remind you of Robben with how often he ends up flying through the air, but he's lacking the precision in the final third & confidence to truly force dangerous chances into existence like the Dutchman does.

...f*** it why not just get the band back together & bring back both Kramer & Kruse to go with Tielemans, Strobl, Doucoure and the Werder-bloc? Bleed Wenger dry for Xhaka, and if he's too cheap sell him to Pep.

That Citeh midfield will need a ton of work before they're ready for the new regime, as only KdB & Silva will fit & both of them are natural 10s. Given Pep's love-affair with Xhaka's spirit-guide, Xabi Alonso, it should surprise no one if Citeh suddenly jump to the top of the list if Wenger keeps dicking around about price past the Pokal final.

Bananenflanke repped this.
  7. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    +1

Rosebud repped this.
  8. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am pretty sure Tielemans will end up with us:cautious:
    You speak of Bergkamp?? As in DB ?? You actually remember him play??:thumbsdown:

9. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While thats getting customized for ya ...Do some aqua-fit training and core exercise...and u may cancel your bionics and give up being the next 6 Mil $ Man:devilish::alien:o_O:ninja:

10. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #460 Rosebud, May 20, 2016
    lol yep. Dennis Bergkamp was one of the earliest guys I started watching while he was still in his prime, and so I enjoyed going back & rewatching him the more I learned about the sport. Not saying that's who Eggestein will become, just that the elegance of his first touch, and the skillful intelligence of his play remind me of the Dutch artist. The kid may never well never get there, or even particularly close; but at this point; he does seem to have all of the potential to do so...if all goes well in his development.

That's why I mention him in the same breath as Dembele, who's the most promising teenager on the planet; and a kid who my french friend describes as the most dominant first year Ligue 1 kid ever...over the likes of Zidane, Henry, & Hazard.

I've actually managed to do a lot for my back and it no longer bothers me. But it used to be so bad that when I'd be sitting in traffic during the winter my leg would start seizing up so painfully that I couldn't stop myself from screaming. Which resulted in more than one confused look lol.

That said, I'm all aboard the cyborg train. I've got a severe astigmatism of my left eye, so everything I see through it is about as sharp as your peripheral vision; which has cause my brain to see primarily through my right eye and use the left one solely as en extension of my peripherals. So I've been waiting for my camera-eye since the turn of the century!

11. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like Hazard and think he's poised for a breakout season with the way he finished the year, having worked his way into Schubert's favor. Even if he can't replace Raffael as the offensive fulcrum, I think he'll have a bright future playing around Raffael...and maybe Raffael's eventual successor, should he stays for long enough.

And yeah, I meant Timo. I'm not as high on him as I am Volland or Eggestein; but there is a lot of talent there, he's on the move this summer, and putting together a better pitch than the teams contending for his signature currently wouldn't be too hard...if the club think he'll fit & they'll be able to nurture him properly.

Shame you guys ended up stuck with Drmic instead of Mehmedi. We might be having a very different discussion right now had that played out differently, as Mehmedi actually would've fit your possession play with his craftiness and interplay like Stindl has.

Bananenflanke repped this.
  13. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deal was done yesterday. 25 + 5

15. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

FullSizeRender.jpg

16. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Xahka: 25+5? must be a typing error from Telegraph... or the sum Arsenal want their supporters to believe
    Sommer: nobody taking the rumor serious... at the moment...
    Kramer: Sport1 quotes B04-official... Kramer most likely leaving (I'm wondering: do they overcharge him like Drmic?)
    Tielemans: the lake lies in all silence (don't know what's going on underwater)

18. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    all I've read is 45 Mil? Plus bonuses etc:thumbsdown:

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pounds perhaps...not euros?

20. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal ? believed when seen. Wenger wrote the book on cheap.

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and Rosebud repped this.
  21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #471 Rosebud, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    While Arsene makes Watzke look like a big-spender; I can't imagine Eberl selling Granit for less than what the buyout will be next summer. I'm assuming BMG gets 35-40M pounds for Granit, though not all of it will necessarily be paid up front.

OT: Not a news story or anything linking the player to you, but my argie friend told me to look out for Jonathan Calleri...22yo Argentinian who left Boca this winter and has been on loan with Sao Paulo in Brazil...as he's getting closer to moving to europe. Haven't seen a full match yet, but from what I have seen; and the way my friend was gushing about him; this kid looks like he was born to play off of Raffael. He's got an extremely high skill level, but is a natural goal scorer. My dream for BMG is still Correa/Fekir + Eggestein, but this kid certainly fits alongside Clayton/Ntep/Embolo in the next wave of dream longterm targets for the club.

22. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We haven't talked about Raffa enough...the guy keeps it low key but he is imo the most important player for us...he makes things happen ( both on the D & O side) even tho there is not much talk about/around him..we are so lucky to have him and he is staying and most likely will retire here at the Park.Imagine having someone similar to him on the pitch then we can really have a strong surge in the league.And his just getting better with age and of course seem like things are working very well with him at the club and he enjoys staying a Borusse:thumbsup::D;)

Rosebud repped this.
  23. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bigs have inquired about that kid for awhile. S.American buys often have issues w/ 3rd party ownership. Limits a lot of moves abroad. Embolo is already out of price range. I will hold out hope BMG can find the right "under the radar" CF buy-and possibly and heir to #11 as well.

24. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I struggle to pick a most important player, as taking any of Raffael, Dahoud or Xhaka off of the pitch has had dramatic impact on your play. But he's a really specially lil player. I really hope he gets more recognition as people see more of you in the CL.

While he’s been monitored for a while, apparently he’s now looking to make the move to europe, if not this summer then next. I’m not expecting any SA buys, but Calleri’s situation seems relatively straight forward. As I believe his rights were bought in their entirety by an investment group for 11M this winter. So acquiring him would mean only needing to buy that 1 group out, with an already established pricepoint to work with. Not that I’m expecting Eberl to go after him, but I couldn't watch him without picturing how beautifully he would play off of Raffael…unlike Correa/Fekir, who I fantasize about stepping into Raffael’s shoes, rather than by his side…which is why I mentioned that he should be coming to europe soon here with OT header.

While all of those guys are mostly pipedreams, that's what I thought about Tielemans for a long time & yet you seem to have a real shot at getting him right now. So if Eberl does secure this deal, I'm no longer going to dismiss these dream moves out of hand. Especially not if you have an even more successful season in the coming year. So I'm not sure Embolo will be out of reach for you next summer. Sure teams with bigger warchests are monitoring him to, but there were bigger teams monitoring Xhaka when you first brought him from switzerland to.

With Embolo often stuck out on the wing even in that league, I'm not sure how many of those bigger clubs are going to be ready to shell out a crazy fee for him unless he has a massive EM...especially with him not putting up eye-catching #s from the wing in the swiss league...and I'm not sure how much he'll prioritize money over the right fit for the next step in his career. I'm doubtful you could get him this summer with the work Eberl has to get done in midfield. But if you have another strong season, with an admirable showing in the CL & another top 4 finish, the money could be there next year.

TBH he's not my first choice, though I do rate the kid; but unlike Correa & Fekir...who are genuine pipe dreams unless you win a BuLi or european cup in the next couple of seasons…Embolo I could actually see becoming an option for you.

There’s a number of more under-the-radar/in-your-price-range guys that I like for your attack…i.e. if Schalke & Avdijij part ways this summer he seems like the exact type of guy who ends up having a legendary career with you; you’d make a lot of sense for Eggestein; that Croatian kid, Vlasic, has quite a bit of Raffael & Traore to him with the ball; Werner could be a great value buy; Ntep is a very talented forward who’ll make his next move for cheap; Pjaca should still be well within your price range; you could make a lot of sense for Malcom when he leaves Bordeaux; and I really like what I’ve seen of Derlis Gonzalez…but at this point I’m feeling really optimistic for you & what Eberl is going to end up building, so I’m willing to let myself dream about the long run.

25. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Nice video of Florian Grillitsch's touches against Leverkusen; both good & bad.

Granit's a boss, but put Tielemans & Grillitsch around Dahoud and you'll be even tougher to stifle in midfield. If Eberl can get both I'll be ecstatic even without an eventual Raffael successor coming this summer.