Team Name

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by ottawasportsfan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm not bowled over by the name, but the color choice should be good, so long as they stay away from adding in yellow (flames) to accents anywhere.

I think a lot of what comes next will hinge on the crest and wordmarks. That's when we'll see which set of soccer traditions they'll align themselves with.

All in all, not a bad day for NASL. I'm chomping at the bit for the season to start, and already looking ahead toward 2014.

2. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has never been thrilled with my own club's nickname, let me assure you that you'll eventually get over it. It's just a nickname. You will soon have live NASL soccer games to attend. Enjoy it...

3. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    No doubt.

And for what it's worth, I actually like Silverbacks as a name. Goes to show how subjective these things are.

4. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Still; why make all the noise about a nickname and then just decide to go with your old USL-PDL name anyway?

5. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. I dunno. The Silverbacks made a lotta noise about changing their name recently and then stuck with the Silverbacks. Maybe it's an NASL thing.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on how the Ottawa stadium upgrade is going? Will it be done by next year?

I really doubt that Virginia will be ready by 2014 (maybe Fall 2014 if they get lucky building the stadium).

Then again they are building a small stadium so if they can get over the political obstacles then I may be proven wrong.

7. dmont

dmont Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It is squarely within North American sports naming tradition. I guess you just prefer Europosing tradition. Plus the club has used the name for seven years. It has tradition of its own in Ottawa.

9. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they name the CFL team the Ottawa Sound, you'd have the Sound and the Fury.