Team Name/Uniform/Logo (i refuse to say kit or crest/)

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by Goforthekill, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Suggestions

Minnesota Stars. Colors: Navy Blue/Yellow/White
    Minnesota Thunder. Colors: Navy Blue/Grey/White
    Minnesota Kicks. Colors: Carolina Blue/Orange/White

Other name suggestions:
    Minnesota Ice
    Twin Cities United
    Minnesota Freeze
    Minnesota Voyageurs
    Minnesota Lumberjacks
    Minnesota Bears

NO! FC on any name. SC if absolutely neccesary

profiled repped this.
  2. zoobawa

zoobawa Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't see why FC can't be used. Pretty much every team in the world uses it or their languages equivalent.

henryo repped this.
  3. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Viking F.C.

Yep, I said it.

Deal with it.

4. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Minnesota Millers Soccer Club
    TC Nordiques

5. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We call it soccer over hear in america. i like those uniforms, they could use a third color (Yellow/gold possibly), a crest (maybe a two colored half purple, half White or gold, whith opposite color lettering T and C whit a ghosted M and SP or just MSP or M and St. P, and a sponsor (target, Best buy, US bank, Dairy Queen, TCF, Etc.)

6. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the nordiques but maybe northerners, i like the use of TC though, always thought that the twins sould be the Twin Cities Twins, the Minneapolis Millers were an AAA baseball team back in the 50s, scince they will be playing in minneapolis i think Minneapolis Millers could be possible.

7. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I like the idea of sticking with Stars or Northstar, and I like the idea of SC or FC (for most in the US these days, they are interchangeable).

I can see using purple if it's not balanced by yellow as a primary, but I'd still rather see a unique blue or just all white. Maybe 'midnight blue' is a compromise?

Most of all, I just want the opportunity for a prospective team to be unique and to differentiate itself from it's NFL counterpart.

My only real question is whether to go with 'Twin Cities' or 'Minnesota'. Something about the former just sounds sexier to me. Can you imagine people saying, "DC United have a tough game next week, away to Twin Cities"?

I'd cheer for TCFC like it was my job.

8. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, TCFC or TCSC has a nice ring to it. i like the TC name but i think Twin Cities United would fit more. I still like the Three former team names though. you could try to replicate a Star by using a color similar to a dusk/nighttime sky with gold and some white to balance it out. for thunder you could use navy blue, grey, white, and some yellow.

9. zoobawa

zoobawa Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I want the team to be unique and to differentiate itself from the rest of the league.

Teams in MLS with Red as the main [6]
    -FC Dallas
    -Real Salt Lake
    -Chicago Fire
    -Toronto FC
    -Chivas USA
    -Colorado Rapids (its a very maroon red, but still would be a red)

Teams with Blue as the main [4]
    -Sporting Kansas City
    -Philadelphia Union
    -New England Rev
    -Montreal Impact (expansion)

Teams with Black [2]
    -DC United
    -San Jose Quakes

Teams with Green [2]
    -Portland Timbers
    -Seattle Sounders

Teams with White [3]
    -Red Bull NY
    -Vancouver Whitecaps
    -LA Galaxy

Teams with Orange [1]
    -Houston Dynamo

Teams with Yellow [1]
    -Columbus Crew

(I did not include teams like Red Bulls who have blue and red as well contributing to their color scheme, just the main color. If I did Blue would be 12 and Red would be 10)

Teams with Purple as any of the 3 colors [0]

This is why we should use purple. Not because of the links to Vikings, but because its not a used color at all so far. No team uses it at all. Unless you want to be like over half the teams and use Blue/Red then go for it. I would rather not and would rather go with an original kit design. Which is why I made the Purple Halved Kit. Because no team has a halved kit (i don't consider Portland's two tone being a halved kit) and no team uses Purple. Therefore it would be perfect.

10. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I understand the reasoning perfectly, I just don't think that wearing similar colors is a problem--especially if we have a unique pattern.

I like your design, but I lived in Boston for a few years and was good friends with a lot of Revs supporters. Each and every one is displeased with the way their team has been forced to mimic the Patriots' identity.

But I'm willing to admit that other ownership groups have done a better job with this. Well ... ownership group (singular).

My preference is for blue because Minnesota's pro soccer team has worn blue for over 20 years.

Personally, I'd be more in favor of going the opposite direction--gold--for our jerseys if we're going to take a color from the Vikes.

11. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ganderif

ganderif Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold with a blue trim???

13. placount

placount Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    imo the team should be a city named club, and not a state club. Our two great cities are losing any identity they ever had because we insist on calling it all minnesota. I'm proud of being a minnesotan, no doubt about it, but before that I'm proud of Minneapolis.

14. placount

placount Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    somewhat related, though loosely, but did you see how the new Seattle Seahawks incorporates the green from the Sounders?

15. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should go with the Twin Cities name, it would set it's self apart from all minnesota sports teams as well as all MLS teams. TC united, TCFC, Etc. but i still do like using a former name like the Kicks, Thunder or stars, which sound better with Minnesota. I don't think we should limit it to just minneapolis though.

Cyclonis repped this.
  16. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I personally prefer putting TC in the name, but being from outstate, I know a lot of people who would not get behind a team that wasn't labeled Minnesota. I'm not sure any owner is going to want to alienate all those people (and trust me, a good number of them will feel alienated). Of course, that effect can be alleviated with some good creative marketing.

And I did see the way that Nike incorporated the rave green into the new Seahawks uniforms. I was actually really surprised.

17. placount

placount Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if that argument would work in other states, like Illinois for example. Would the people living in outside of Chicago feel more passionate about a team named the Illinois Fire?

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about bringing the EPL to Minn too?

The Kicks? That's a terrible idea.

19. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm picking up your sarcasm, but I think the correlation you're trying to draw is a bad one.

Every metropolitan area is different, and every state has a different relationship to its metro area(s). Outstate Minnesotans have an interesting relationship to "The Cities," but most don't feel any sense of ownership over them.

That strange relationship is one of the reasons the Twins used the 'M' instead of the 'TC' as their primary wordmark for so many years. The 'TC' only really returned in the last decade as a throwback and then primary wordmark.

20. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I don't really agree that we're unique in having a divide between urban/rural areas. Also, "outstate" Minnesota isn't ever going to be the primary audience for soccer. The suburbs may be a large component, but as "sub" to "urban areas" they will have less of a problem with a twin cities/minneapolis/saint paul name designation.

I really dont see that as being a problem. There is only one team with a non-city specific name, and that's NE Revolution... who happen to have terrible attendance.

placount repped this.
  21. JamieMCFC

JamieMCFC Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Minnesota United FC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the owner of this team wants to build a SSS with public money the team will be named Minnesota ???????. If Ziggy gets his stadium then I can see him buying the naming rights to the Stars.

22. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cities are no different than anywhere else in that regard. Even in smaller cities like Des Moines, people generally say they're from Des Moines regardless of which suburb they live in (when meeting people out of state). The Menace (PDL) and Buccaneers (USHL) play in suburbs and use "Des Moines" while the Barnstormers (AFL), Energy (NBADL), and Cubs (PCL) all play in Des Moines and use "Iowa." Outside of a handful of wackos, people don't seem to care.
    I would guess that deep down, the same thing exists in Minnesota. However, being that the Cities is a major league destination, the precedent to use Minnesota versus either city name or "Twin Cities" exists. I would guess that the state name would be more popular because that's how hings are done. Why not just stay in line with the Wild, Swarm, Twins, Vikings, and Timberwolves?
    You're right except for the Colorado Rapids and Chivas USA...
    Of course that also ignores the fact that ever other major league in this country uses a mix of city, state, and regional names. That has never really been much of an issue, from what I can tell.

23. placount

placount Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly.

24. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota Stars(move to MLS)

If not Minnesota or Twin City Northmen. Purple/Gold or Maroon/Silver.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States