Team Name/Badge/Uniform Ideas

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Armada FC' started by Mad Hattah, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally like the current logo. But I also like the Armada with the ties to St. Augustine and the Spanish.

On a non soccer front, recently traveled to the area for work and got to experience dinner at the Fish Camp. Wow that was really good.

2. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in as in favor of Jacksonville Armada. Has a faint air of Europeanness (which is not a bad thing when you're trying to assert that a soccer club exists in the broader footballing world and wants to take part in that tradition) while being unique AND still fitting an American naming convention (i.e. city + collective or mass "thing") that the local media won't stumble over.

Looking forward to this. I was raised in Clay County and still go back to the 904 about once a year.

EDIT: Also, Dario can knock out anybody who stands in the way of this club's success.

3. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former Ponte Vedra / Atlantic B / military checking in....(I do really miss Jax, and still have family there, but love living in Denver right now)....
    But the NE Florida, as a region, definitely does, with Ponce De Leon, Castillo De San Marcos, etc just down the road in St Augustine, and this area as a presence for the Spanish long ago.
    Combined that with the Naval presence (JAX NAS, Mayport, etc), i think either are fine.

Yeah, go with Publix ;)
    Seriously, that would be a nice strike @ WD for Publix to sponsor this team!
    Completely agree with this post.
    I think the naming would be a little bit sexy & "traditional," while still having the typical conventional properties.
    Combined this with the regional/state spanish influence, the naval/military history in Jax, and rather uniqueness in soccer circles (are there others that use this?), I think this is a major win. I also think Jax would unearth some south american / latin american gems for players, and I think it would just fit what I'd see in terms of possible flair with this team (already with Mr Sala).

Breakers, Wanderers, Admirals, Generals are all ok, but at this point outside of Armada, Breakers, & Admirals I'd probably go generic with the name.

Can't wait to be back in town this summer, and I look forward to traveling back next year for opening day!

(I'd also like the Armada as a counterpart to the Charleston Battery ;) - wish they (and Rochester) would move up to NASL with that awesome stadium!)

6. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I had a dog in the fight with "Inferno" so it may come across as sour grapes, but St. Augustine being "Just right down the road" is not good enough for me. This is going to be the Jacksonville Armada, not the St. Augustine Armada, and Armada is not in any way a tribute to the U.S. Military, so all in all, this just doesn't add up to me, other than the fact that it's catchy . . . and I'm fine with "catchy" if that's how people want to sell it, but I can do without the whole spin of how it makes sense.

8. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does come across as a bit overemotional :)

When I lived there, I felt it as part of the Jax metro area more or less (of course, I went down there all the time, and my brother went to college there), there was a decent amount of Spanish heritage around Jax, and I think the Armada relates to the navy/military enough to make a connection (I am military). Simply, I think it fits, and yes, provides that catchy name that will work, especially if there is a latin influence.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the choice.

9. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it was announced we were getting a team I said something to the affect that I'd support the team if they were named the Jax Sh!t Eaters so I stand by that. I suppose soon I'll be Armada til I die.

10. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell of a lot better than Tea Men. Look forward to the derbies.

11. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a great name for the supporters group.(read in your most sarcastic voice please)

12. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Tea Men should never be associated with any Jax club. The fact that the old NASL Jax team kept Tea Men as their name after moving down from Boston was dumb to begin with. Just a bad as the Utah Jazz or LA Lakers keeping their names after those relocations. The first thing I think about when I think about LA is all the lakes they have. I'm not a big fan of the American way of naming teams, as they almost always sound Disney-esque or cartoonish. However, Armada is decent enough, as long as they add in the SC or FC moniker. "Jacksonville Armada SC" or "Jacksonville Armada FC".

13. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if the Lakers were owned by Land O' Lakes Butter or the Jazz were owned by Fats Domino, retaining the other namesakes would have made sense, but the Tea Men were, in fact, owned by Lipton.

14. Sweet Tea & Bourbon

Sweet Tea & Bourbon New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    Club:
    Jacksonville United FC
    The first teaser image for the new JAX NASL logo was posted on the team's Facebook page about an hour ago. Is that an anchor?

[​IMG]

m vann repped this.
  15. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #165 G Enriquez, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    Looks like an anchor to me. With the US Navy presence there,I can see thier logo having a navy theme.

16. imitch

imitch Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Jacksonville FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am okay with Jacksonville Armada, but they do not need to use "FC". Why do Americans insist on wanting to emulate the Europeans. American soccer is a unique brand and we need to take pride in that versus trying to mimic others. Why not use SC to highlight its American brand. If they add FC to the team name I will no longer be one of the ones supporting the team. I have been craving soccer down here, but cannot stomach calling American soccer FC. I hope they do not make that mistake.

ChuckDzzNutz repped this.
  17. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #167 TerminusFooty, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    The term FC has roots here as well and was used in America before the NASL 1.0 days. The most successful American team before the Cosmos was Bethlehem Steel FC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlehem_Steel_F.C.

My team is named after apes and I still support them. Don't deny yourself the fun of the game just because of your club's nickname. :)

eclipse02 repped this.
  18. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC is what you are taking issue with? Hell it's never even mentioned in American soccer unless it's literally "FC Dallas."

Nobody says "Seattle Sounders FC," it's always without it.

It's fine. Chill.

19. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally laughed out loud

eclipse02 and TerminusFooty repped this.
  20. phatphelix

phatphelix New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Club:
    RCD Mallorca
    #170 phatphelix, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    The problem with American teams using "FC" (or even "SC" for that matter) is that they aren't actually independent clubs. They're franchises of a league. That's why it's so contrived.

I was sort of cool on the "Armada" name at first, but I'm warming up to it. I prefer a nod to the region's Spanish past over any Navy/military tribute. Not that I have anything against the Navy (I went to the Naval Academy), but there's nothing unique about Jax being a military town. Lots of places are. I prefer a name that's more about the area itself. All of Florida belonged to Spain until 1821. The Spanish defeated the Huguenots at Fort Caroline. It's not just a St. Augustine thing. I can get behind Armada (even with the fake FC).

21. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they are independent clubs in the NASL...

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So MLS FC would be ok?

23. phatphelix

phatphelix New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Club:
    RCD Mallorca
    You're right. My "fake FC" comment was misplaced. It absolutely applies to the way over the top MLS, though.

24. imitch

imitch Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Jacksonville FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the FC is not always used when discussing the team, it appears to be another US franchise trying to adapt elements of a different soccer brand instead of completely embracing the American flavor, style, and fanbase of the team. I did hear one good thing from the ownership group at World of Beers is that they will emphasis signing North Florida players which is a step in the right direction.

25. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #175 TerminusFooty, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    In the early 70s the US Soccer Football Association changes their name to the US Soccer Federation and the NASL comes to prominence without using the word "football" in their branding.

In the late 90s Miami Fusion FC becomes the first major club in awhile to use the term, with many others following along since.

For a brief period in American soccer's 100+ year history, it wasn't in fashion to acknowledge that soccer is a form of football. That doesn't make it "un-American".

To use an analogy, chocolate ice cream doesn't have to be either chocolate or ice cream. Chocolate is a type of ice cream, in the same way that soccer (British slang for the word "association") is a type of football.

Rugby, Aussie Rules, American Football, Gaelic Football, Association Football/Soccer, Canadian Football - they are all ultimately evolved from the exact same 19th century game and are all types of "football".

Anyways, I won't post anything else on the matter as it's taking the thread off subject.