Team name/badge/colors/uniforms/ideas...

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--

An expansion MLS team slated for OKC that designates the Tulsa Roughnecks as its "farm club" is far more likely to happen than a USL Pro club moving up to the NASL anytime soon. Just sayin'

With that question out of the way, please go back to the crucial subject at hand on this thread: the use of American Indian nicknames for sports teams. Are you outraged enough? :D

2. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The only way OKC would be considered for an MLS franchise would be to have a 20,000-plus soccer stadium under construction. Right now, Tulsa has more disposal income available to support MLS than OKC.

As far as team nicknames, I can certainly understand why some tribes & tribal leaders are outraged.

Try these names on for size:

Baltimore Bitches
    El Paso Wet Backs
    Houston Honkies
    Jacksonville Jews
    Miami Mohawks
    Mississippi Jungle Bunnies
    Nashville Negros
    Savannah Swamp Rabbits
    Seattle Squaws
    Washington Whities

How would you feel if these were actual nicknames of professional sports teams?

Yes, people are not so hot on the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians & Washington Redskins.

Remember the Oklahoma City Chiefs (University), changed their nickname to the Oklahoma City Stars.

There are a number of ways in which we use words and don't realize or think about the origin.

Examples:

They let him go scott free? Is this in reference to the Dred Scott decision which freed slaves?
    Oh man, they jewed me out of my money. Is this in reference to Jews (religion, race or culture)?

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    "Scot-free" has nothing to do with Dred Scott. It was originally a British phrase that derived from the Scandinavian word "skat" which means tax. Scot is used in several phrases where it refers to a tax or fee. The Oxford English Dictionary has a reference to the use of the phrase "scot-free" from 1528.

"Read me and be not wroth (angry). Is there any great difference between theft and tithe gathering? Very little, saving (except) that thieves are corrected (punished), and tithe gatherers go scot-free. "

The second phrase is definitely a pejorative against Jews.

ManuSooner repped this.
  4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And BTW, The Dred Scott decision had NOTHING to do with freeing anyone. At the time it actually held that Africans in the US, whether slave or free, could NOT be citizens, and therefore had no standing to sue in federal court.
    Now, can we PLEASE get back to soccer, specifically talking about uniform /name /badge /colors?
    Hopefully I will have something constructive to post later today.

5. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that sounds positive!

6. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Difference between scot free and scott free 1865? Oxford has the British version. Familiar with the older version and use. I know the denotative meaning in which it was directed in the Deep South following the freeing of slaves; this was a play on words which had nothing to do with taxes. The two phrases do have different spelling & meaning. Enough said!

Now, let's get back on topic!

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So you are claiming that "scott free" is a different phrase? Based on some folk etymology that people have come up with regarding Dred Scott?

I'm not sure about that because I don't know what this phrase means "I know the denotative meaning in which it was directed in the Deep South following the freeing of slaves".

However, there is only one phrase. I work in a library. None of our dictionaries have "scott free". The phrase is "scot-free" in both American and British English. The origin was a term that meant to evade taxes but it evolved into meaning to escape consequences.

The OED entry says that is both American and British.

scot-free, adj.
    Pronunciation: Brit. /ˌskɒtˈfriː/ , U.S. /ˈskɑtˈfri/
    β. 15 18– scotchfree, 16 scotts-free.

1. a. Without being punished; without suffering injury or harm. Chiefly predicative or as complement, esp. into go (also get off, escape, etc.) scot-free.In origin probably an extended use of sense 2, although first recorded slightly earlier.

b. Without inflicting harm. Obs. rare.

2. Free from scot (in various senses of scot n.2); not required to pay scot; without paying scot. Later more generally: without payment; free of charge. Chiefly predicative or as complement. Now rare.

The OED includes citations from U.S. sources from both before the Civil War and after on the original tax meaning.

1853 Putnam's Monthly Mag. Apr. 405 Pilgriming's dearer than it was: men cannot travel now Scot-free from Dan to Beersheba upon a simple vow.

1921 Internal-revenue Hearings before Comm. on Finance (U.S. Senate, 67th Congr., 1st Sess.) 384 The common laborer does not know that that act [on taxation] was passed. He is scot free at 40 cents an hour.

Merriam-Webster agrees on the current meaning:

scot–free

adjective \ˈskät-ˈfrē\
    : without the punishment that is deserved
    : completely free from obligation, harm, or penalty

It has nothing to do with freeing slaves. Besides, as ManuSooner points out, Dred Scott wasn't freed. The court case returned Scott to his owner as property.

8. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we please get back on topic

9. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes please...

10. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found out that the new NASL colors/name/badge will be revealed this summer as part of the NPSL team. Also found out that the former ownership group's marketing "expert" (who knew NOTHING about soccer) had come up with, after careful consideration and research, that the new NASL team....
    would be called........
    OKLAHOMA CITY UNTIED!.........
    (crickets....crickets.....)

SERIOUSLY!

The new owner, Sean, said, "uh....no"
    Marketing Expert:"But why?"
    Sean: "Well.....in the soccer world there's "City", and there's "United", not both.
    M.E.: "Oh, but it work! Because we ARE united!"
    Sean, DeBray, AND Brad Lund: "Uh...no. ALSO, there is ALREADY a team in the league called, "United"

I'm serious folks. This is the conversation that was being had with Tim McLaughlin and his marketing "expert". Apparently he had already tried to go ahead with ordering shirts/scarves,etc... without talking to the other owners OR clearing it with the league!
    wow...
    Finally, someone from NASL said, "No"

11. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Had my fingers crossed in anticipation of some good news--sounds like 'back to the drawing board.'

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say, it wasn't the good news I had hoped to hear. But it wasn't bad, either. They are committed to going forward. And they are good guys. I'll help them any way I can.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the NPSL team called?

I mean what is wrong with just Oklahoma City?

Add the SC or FC or what ever to it if you most.

14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oklahoma City FC

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eurosnobs can't ignore us now

NegativeCreep repped this.
  16. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what the PDL team was last year. It's what the WPSL team has been called for two years. And it came from the youth organization OFC. So...? But I had a good laugh when the marketing person had wanted to call the NASL team Oklahoma City United FC. Why not Sporting Club Deportivo Real Oklahoma City United FC SC? :)

NegativeCreep repped this.
  17. PTFCfan

PTFCfan Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I am not from Oklahoma but I am very interested in what the logo and name will be for OKC's team will be. I tried to go onto their website today and it was shut down, does this mean they are putting up a website with their new name or are they just having technical difficulties? Also I would like to know what stadium you are playing in and what is the capacity? Sorry if I'm disturbing you

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They have a new website. It is functioning.

http://www.oklahomacityfc.com/

Not much on there about the NASL team, however.

19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are going to release the colors and logo this year as part of the NPSL team this summer. They haven't brought them out yet. I'm not exactly sure what they are going to look like at this point.

20. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will play their NPSL games this summer at Putnam City North HS

21. PTFCfan

PTFCfan Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is their name officially Oklahoma City FC?

22. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, the NPSL and WPSL teams are Oklahoma City FC. My assumption would be that the NASL team will be as well. I haven't heard for sure. I know that they are right now working out a stadium deal for the NASL next year. When they have a place then they will make all of the big announcements. Personally I wish they would do it now, even without a stadium deal in place, but they want to wait.

23. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    So Taft is officially out?

24. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okc fc facebook page down to I mean the nasl okc one

25. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of now, yes. McLaughlin is sitting on the lease?!? And he is not looking to play nice I guess