Team camp ideas

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Timbuck, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I have a girls 04 team. For the past 4 years- we have done a weeklong “camp”- just our team. 5 days straight. 3 hours per day. I have a trainer run it for us. I am there part of the time.
    In years past we have done fun/silly team building stuff. We’ll do some of that this year- but I want to take it up a level in their seriousness / goal setting. 5 of the 16 players will be freshmen in High School next year. The rest will be in 8th grade.
    Anyone have some good, creative, fun ideas?
    I want them to realize that every moment of every practice counts and put some effort toward that.

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I did a camp last week. 4 days, 3 hours from 5:30-8:30 for some in the same age range. 3 hours starting in the hottest part of the day was really hard to make them realize "every moment of practice counts". When it was really hot, it was a matter of survival—just getting through the drill. If I could do it over probably 2 hours would be optimal. If you're going 3, I would def have a tent or something where they can recharge between activities.

Of course, the players' favorite activities were the competitions. Not really the 1v1 so much. But anything 2v2 and above and skills-based "races" were always favorites. Most popular activities were: a team-based 1v1 "elimination" game, power-finesse, end of night scrimmage, penalty shootout.

3. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    We start at 9 am and wrap up by noon. Too hot later in the day and I wanted the kids to be able to have the rest of the day to enjoy summer.

elessar78 repped this.
  4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We’re doing a 3-day camp in 2 weeks. We have a lot of new players so I was thinking of using it as a chance to integrate new and old players. Need to set the proper tone right off the bat.

5. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    #5 Sami Paakkanen, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Hello Tim !

What is your seriousness, what u want them to aim? :) In my ear I hear that you need to do is focus your own coaching, where you want to go with those girls and are they ready to go there with you.
    Usually best way to get there is sit down and have a chat.. long one. Ask and LISTEN what is on players mind. Good luck to that next camp (why camp, I don't understand what camp means?) Practice?

-Sami

6. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    We just wrapped up.
    04 team was 2 weeks ago.
    05 team was this past week. But we had to cancel the last 2 days due to the so cal fires. The air quality wasn’t great.

This “camp” was a 5 day training session lasting from 9am- noon each day.
    The purpose is to improve technical abitlites, fitness and team bonding.

The 04 team has done this with me for the past 4 years.
    This was the first time for the 05 team. The 05 team seemed to get a lot out of it. They also have a lot more to improve upon.

The training is serious. But we have fun too. Each day had a different “theme” and each day had a team bonding activity after training was completed.

7. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Sami, "camp" usually refers to a series of training sessions over a small number of days or weeks that is outside normal team training sessions. Typically it occurs during the offseason and is for invited players but it could be limited to a particular team.

Camps may be residential (like kids attending summer camps) or it may be a "day" camp.

8. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Thx rca2 ! Now I get that "camp". We usually have only summer camps here and some special groups, training outside normal practice, only for talented kids..