Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I thought the same when I wrote it! I'm so superstitious it's nuts.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm grateful to you for posting these but would be eternally grateful if you could also add the english translation for when I'm on my phone!

Feel free to tell me to f*** off!

Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wood ended up only playing the 1st half with 0 goals/assists. The young Wintzheimer had 2 goals and 3 assists, even involved in the 8th in a 8-0 win from him and only player to play full 90.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Happy to, if I can figure out how to just keep the "instal-translate" up - my Portuguese and German aren't really good enough.

Maybe I can screen shot, but then they won't hyperlink. If anyone knows an easy workaround, lemme know.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wintzheimer was getting good reviews even in the 1st half, but an inauspicious start for our boy... ouch

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    All kidding aside, I'm grateful for your updates. When I'm at my desk I simply type in German/Spanish to english and google provides a box that does it automatically.

For example:

Sakai plays the ball too long and Wood hits him in front of the free goal. The HSV is officially back from the summer break

and

On the part of the HSV, at the moment a volley shot by Bobby Wood that went wide, and right now Narey has shot high from inside the area.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, probably "easiest" is for you to download the twitter app, but then Jack will own your soul. So it's a pick 'em. Twitter does an AI driven translate on the website that is always close enough to dicipher, but it goes away when you copy the link. If I have the time I can cut and paste the translation separately. I'll try to remember. It will allow me to avoid work a little longer!

DHC1 repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wintzheimer is more of a poaching striker. Scored 3 goals in 7 games in 2BL last season all poacher goals. But from this game, he looks more buff and was heavily involved in the build up up top as well. Had interest from 1BL over the Summer but turned them down.

as for Wood, some were complaining about lack of GC but it was said by reports that the USA coach was not impressed by Wood's form. And he likely only got 1 season to prove himself to HSV who don't want to keep him anyways due to being too expensive.

freisland repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah. He needs to ball a bit, no doubt. I read Witz was playing more withdrawn 1st half? Did you see it at all? Wondering how the pairing looked. Sounds like BW had a few chances.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I only watched the 2nd half, where Wintzheimer was uptop.

so if he was withdrawn and only assisted once in the 1st half vs 2 goals and 2 assists in 2nd half without Wood. Makes me wonder if the pairing had any promise at all?

freisland repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm just going by what I recall reading on a quick twitter search so don't quote me. But the imbalance in production is kinda striking.

Ger90 repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Guy must be rusty as heck.

Hopefully he's back in form by September.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It doesn't matter how they looked - at this stage. It's a friendly, after only a week/ten days of training, against an Oberliga-or-lower level side. Give it ten more days before anyone can start drawing tentative conclusions.

I'm pessimistic - IMO knee problems that left him less than the Union Bobby affected him mentally - but I would love to eat a whole flock of crow on that, so I'm waiting and really, really hoping to be proved wrong. If I am, I'll crack open a bottle of single malt to celebrate!*

*Not that I need any excuse for that :cool:

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Google translate is nice but it is kinda difficult to translate the more sophisticated grammar structure of German into an English sentence. The AI has to leave parts out, recognize idiomatic expressions and dumb the whole thing down and thats a difficult thing to do if you are not a human.

DHC1 repped this.
  16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for now....

17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And Wood finally scores his 1st preseason goal.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    looks like Wood scored a hat trick, seems to have been better than game 1. At the end of the day these matches are meaningless.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  21. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id be as pumped for bobby to be able to finish a marathon as scoring a goal at this point

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Not for those of us with nothing better to do on a Saturday morning :)

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you can score a ton of preseason goals vs 4th, 5th, 6th division what does that matter vs 2BL clubs in competitive games? Today's opponent was 5th division.

so many players did pretty well in preseason but come league time, they struggle.

let's be honest clubs take friendlies vs small clubs just to shred them to pieces to try and boost confidence. Maybe that'll do the trick for Bobby or maybe it won't matter come league time.

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States