Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    3 million euros a year. I guess we see what's most important for ole Robert

2. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    That's a long time to be contracted with HSV.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wood's agent: a genius

HSV Director of Football: #&%&$#ing cretin

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah, still amazing he is among highest earners at Hamburg after only 1 really good season in the 2nd division. I bet his agent worked with Gooch's.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    all the more reason to negotiate a payoff. Two years in the doghouse won't do your abilities any good at all and the damage to you confidence can be very hard to overcome. Crippling for any player, and deadly for a striker.

3 million Euros in the bank versus a million/a million and a half? It's not worth it, especially if you can get at least upper-six figures elsewhere.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Naah. His agent was spawned by Gooch's.

And Satan. ;)

7. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9382 mattjo, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Hmm, so 6 million Euros guaranteed during your prime contract of your career or take a buyout of 1 million and likely, significantly reduced wages (maybe a million a year). I get why he would hold out. If he takes a payout and then gets a contract for 1 million a year, it would take 5 to 6 years to earn what he would make in two, and at the end of those six years he is likely at the end of his career, where as at the end of two he is 28 and still has another contract in his future even if at a greatly reduced salary.

Conversely, he stays at 3 million for two years, tries to rediscover his form. if it doesn't work, he is then 28 and still has some prime years to likely earn half a million to a million somewhere. I know we hate to think that players do this for the money, but that if he opted out of his contract, he would likely see a reduction of 5-6 million during his playing career. That is a significant chunk of change. The challenge for Bobby is that he is in his peak earning years and I don't see him suddenly developing into a star at the Bundesliga level at this age.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    No one should think that BW, MB or JA shouldn’t take all of the money contractually owed to them. If a case can be made that they’ll make about the same money after tax and put them in a better long-term situation, by all means do it but other than that, they owe it to their family to get paid what they are owed.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Bobby's contract out of line with other young BuLi strikers who got an extension?

Bobby scored 17G in 32 M in BL2 on 2 shots per game, most solo effort goals. That got him the move to Hamburg.

Bobby then scored 8 G in 32 M for Hamburg on only 1.4 shots per game. That got him the extension and bump to E3MM.

Since then he has had a combination of injuries and lack of chances, averaging < 1 shot per match. The biggest question is can he get over his knee problems. I am sure if he is fully healthy somebody (maybe Schalke?) would take a chance with him.

adam tash, LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i agree....its pretty crazy to realize that despite all of his struggles this season...Bobby is STILL the highest scoring american in the BL THIS YEAR.

more goals than pulisic, than mckennie than adams etc....all players with champions league ambitions....

he's wobbling but he's not knocked out yet, imo.

DHC1 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby's had reoccurring issues with his knee for quite while now and the problem seems to be becoming more chronic with each year. I'm not so sure he isn't already out of his "prime" years.

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive said it before, HSV are going to need goals next year. Keeping Wood might not be bad thing to have. Options are good

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    does the club have the funds to go in BIG for some strikers?

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think it is impossible that Wood, Hannover and some other club make a deal that gets Wood paid in the same general arena, Hannover cuts some losses and another club gets to take a flier on a player for a bit less than they might have to otherwise.

I can't see why Wood would walk away from any significant money - and there's no reason Hannover would freeze him out and not take something for him - even if just a loan that lightens some of his salary. They aren't so flush and he's not so poor that there's not a decent compromise to be found - unless the knees are worse than we know - which is possible.

DHC1 repped this.
  15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He isn’t under contract with Hannover after this season.

He is Hamburgs problem (as far as I am aware).

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Actually Brooks has 3 goals and 2 assists to Bobby's 3/1.

LouisianaViking07/09 and edcrocker repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yes. That is what I meant. He goes back to Hamburg, but the same logic applies. Hamburg have him until 2021. 3 million is high, but it's not so crazy high that they won't be able to find a situation that offloads some of the cost, unless Wood's injury is more chronic than I've seen reported!

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don’t think Hamburg will be able to offload Wood this summer and we see him back with Hamburg for 2019-2020. Hopefully he finds some form and some health. He can play at the B1 level.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hope so too. Be nice for him to get back to a reasonable form. Hope the knee issues go away.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the odds that HSV faces H96 in the promotion/relegation playoffs? And could Bobby play in that?

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

God is merciful.

23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's a tough decision for any player. If he sits on his contract then he maybe (likely?) makes more money in his career than if he tries for a move and playing time. But, if he doesn't try for a move and playing time, then he has no shot at playing in a World Cup. It would be hard to fault him either way.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    HSV paid €4 million for him, and his contract ends in the summer of 2021.

They're going to want some money for Bobby this summer, the lowest is likely about €2 million. After the H96 loan, I don't see many suitors.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Can they afford to sit him? If he's really not contributing anything, I guess, but that would quite the move.