Pre-match: #TCHUB vs Moo Moos

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Disappointing, but not so bad. Stieber should be starting, though I guess he would anyway Wednesday with Asad injured.

Winoman repped this.
  2. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't complain too much, sort of an expected result then again some chances to at least steal a point here n there...

3. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Think back to the 5 game unbeaten run and how many moments were decided by the luck of a bounce, favorable call, or non-call by the ref.

To make it in this league you need a bit of that along with your more reliable strengths. Unfortunately yesterday a few calls went the other way and we hit the bar once...even though Hamid basically created his own luck preventing some solid chances by RB attackers, they had the edge in the moment that mattered and put us away.

https://www.dcunited.com/post/2018/08/26/post-match-quotes-rbnyvdc

The Murillo situation was really weird but it's typical MLS reffing shenanigans that sometimes hurts and sometimes helps us...

Winoman repped this.
  4. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with most of the points here. I think this was a different loss to Jersey. We actually competed and lost in an unlucky fashion IMO as opposed to just being played off the pitch. While it sucks to lost to them again, in the grand scheme of things 0 points here doesn't really derail our needs for playoffs. Would've been a nice bonus, but I've already assumed losses there and at NYCFC. Philly is 1000% more important to our season.

I'll apologize on behalf of my girlfriend for the loss. Right before we scored at the end against Orlando, she prayed to the soccer gods and said she would give up sushi if we won. We won 3 straight. She forgot and had sushi last week. The soccer gods clearly were not pleased.

5. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    A lot of calls went our way that game, so it wasn’t a matter of luck or not getting chances. On average RB are better than us and were the expected winner and won. Just because we’ve had some good results against generally lower quality teams doesn’t mean we’ve jumped into the top tier of the league or conference. We have a long stretch against good teams now and few Orlando and Chicago types to help get free points. For me this was a very boring and noninstructive game all around. It felt like neither team until the last 10 minutes was playing to really win a rivalry game. Felt like a preseason match.

bigredfutbol, Eastern Bear and Dizi repped this.
  6. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured this year was a throwaway given the half-season road trip, and then the super compressed schedule on the back-end. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at where we are, all things considered. This Sunday/Wednesday/Sunday nonsense has gotta be draining, and that we were competitive through the match, at least, I'll take it.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going in, the numbers said we shouldn't have won this one, and we didn't. All we did was play the second best team in the east to a statistical tie in their house. Galling as it is, being as good as NJ is better than we had any right to expect just 2 months ago. I'll take it and look forward to September 16th with optimism.

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better finishing by Rooney and Fisher and we could have won, so I'm not too disappointed. Improve our finishing and we should be competitive with almost anyone.

bigredfutbol and ImNumberTen repped this.
  9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    In all, I was pleased with the way we played against RB. Our tactics have been a lot better since Rooney arrived. The miraculous improvement by Fisher has had enormous impact. He helps spread the field when he sits wide. It provides more space to Acosta and others in the middle. We need to get a new CB where Opare is a respectable back-up, but not a starter in this league. He simply cannot recycle the ball well and he often over commits up the field. I would love to see Durkin get a shot at CB.

I'm nervous about Asad's injury. I don't expect him to play Wednesday, but I hope he can start on the weekend.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 fatbastard, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    I think Fisher (and the rest of the defense) looking better/more useful has more to do with Canouse's return than anything else.

Asad not in practice today so I doubt Wed. is an option. Fine with me frankly as he has been getting on my nerves lately, as much for Ben not being willing to take him out when he gets so tired after the 65th minute he barely moves as anything else - but plenty else with his play lately ;)
    I'd still rather have him on the bench than out injured.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I'm a fan when teams and players reply to dumb ass comments

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.