Tampa Sun Bowl

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by CG, Dec 29, 2002.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Has anybody seen games from this tourney? I know some kids who are playing in the U18/19 divisions. Any news would be appreciated.

2. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I saw several games--all four games of the team I was following, two more from teams in the same group--and bits of countless others.

Seeing that you're from the Heart of Dixie, I can mention that I saw the Hoover Phantoms play twice. (I believe they are the Alabama state champions for u18).

Anyway, what specifically would you like to know?

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    AL teams

I know that neither the Phantoms nor the U19 Vestavia Steamers made it out of their group. How did Hoover look? Vestavia didn't lose a game(2-0-2) but missed out by 1 pt on the semis.

4. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    The Phantoms won their only game against the team I was following, the Arlington Shadows. It was the last game for both teams as both teams would not advance from the group--making the game meaningless.

The Phantoms really aren't that bad of a team. I also saw them lose to a team from North Carolina 2-0. That team from NC advanced from the group, and honestly they weren't very good except for the fact that their defense was well organized (and therefore receiving a lot of favorable offside calls). However, the Phantoms exploited their defense FOUR times and didn't get a goal. FOUR times the Phantoms had the same striker one on one with the NC goalkeeper. All four times, the shots went wide or high (and just barely). Some bad luck, I guess. Arlington was hoping the Phantoms would win, because then they would have had a chance to advance. They lost a bitter game to the NC team 2-1. The NC team received 12!!! offside calls in their favor. I would say at least 4 of those calls were terrible and negated a chance for Arlington to equalize. Additionally Arlington was pulled down flagrantly in the box in the final minutes and everyone (including NC) was surprised there was a no call. I guess sometimes there's just luck because the NC team was the worst (IMO) of the group and as I expected they got hammered in their knockout game 5-1.

I would have said the Alabama team was better than the NC team talentwise, but they were not as good as the other 3 teams in the group. However, the players seemed like the most sportsmanlike, classy all the way around (which unfortunately was not the case for the parents). I actually felt kind of glad for them to finally win a game, even though that meant they beat 'my' team. Their last game was marked by crisp passing and good possession in the midfield--looked like a completely different team than the one that lossed to the NC team.

cheers