taking a Tesla to Boston...

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by msilverstein47, Feb 19, 2013.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My $30,000 Nissan Leaf is pretty nice too. I'm convinced that in another generation or so, electric cars will be the norm, and hybrid/gas engines will be for specialty purposes. Just improve the technology so that the range becomes a day's drive, say 500 miles. Then electric is easily better.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replacing all cars with electric cars is not possible, we can not make enough batteries to run every single car in the world, and mining for the materials would be an environmental disaster.

I like my Hybrid and my next car will surly be a full electric car, but electric cars are not the total answer unfortunately.

4. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the total answer in your opinion? Also if you are looking for a new car in a few years you should consider Tesla's 3rd gen vehicle.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/10/2...en-tesla-prototype-will-be-revealed-in-12-18/

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am probably going to go with the Nissan Leaf for my next car, unless a more affordable comparable car comes out.

A coworker bought the base model Telsa when they came out, it was supposed to be around 50K, with the cost overruns, he ended up paying over 70K for the car.

So this 35K car you link to will probably cost someone about 50K when it all done.

Now saying that people should not buy battery cars, they are an option, just saying that it would be an environmental disaster if we had to dig up all the materials needed to make every single car in the world an electric car (the materials to make the batteries).

Maybe a good mix of about 10% electric cars would work, maybe it would also be more logical if it was public transportation that had the electric cars, Taxis with rapid changing batteries and Buses that can pull electricity while they run from cables (like the old street rail cars).