Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Miazga already screwed up signing for Chelsea. He can’t at this point in his career screw up again with some pie in the sky ownership driven transfer. Hope to god he has better advisers than that

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    How did he screw up signing for Chelsea?

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    joining a loan army team instead of a club with a manager who liked and wanted to develop him

adam tash repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what were other options? Chelsea go in for you, you sign. Especially if it's the best option. He had 2 games in which he played a few weeks after he joined. Having Chelsea on his resume will always find him an option somewhere. Some folks razz on him but I figure he knew he'd never be a regular at the club but that being a Chelsea player would change his life and it has.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He spent two seasons at Vitesse, most of it under Fraser, playing over 50 games across 2 seasons. At Chelsea money, which I'd guess is more than the 450k that he would have gotten for signing straight up with Vitesse.

He had a 1/2 season loan to Nantes that didn't work out and then a great loan to Reading... And even a cup of EPL coffee along the way. All at Chelsea money with the Chelsea brand.

While there are some idea scenarios that might have turned out better for MM and some one could even pitch as realistic, I'm not sure there are many. Perhaps, say, joining DY under Rafa at NUFC or a good Ligue 1 or Ajax/PSV transfer... it's hard to imagine too many scenarios better than what MM has gotten that also pay the kind of transfer and salary that he's looked at.

My opinion, of course, but I think this has been a pretty realistically positive move for a guy who was never likely to really break Chelsea's 1st team.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What midtier albeit good at development club would have paid what NYRB and MLS required?

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That is the key question. Hard to know - but not a wide number of possibilities out there.

DHC1 repped this.
  8. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Serie A is improving... slowly. Juve was way ahead of the curve in investing in young players and being able to develop youth. But now you are starting to see other teams do so.

I also think Fiorentina would be a good fit for Matt. Montella loves CBs with Matt's traits, and the rumors are they ate about to lose Germain Pezzella (their captain and best CB).

Last year was awful for them but Fiorentina have been fairly consistent at battling for Europe. They've also been pretty good at developing players

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    play out your contract and bounce

10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Reports are Chelsea isnasking for between 17 and 20 million (all rumor dont shoot messenger) but there is concrete interest from Fiorentina and Brescia. Either way sounds like interest in Matt is enough where he will likely be sold and not loaned out and will likely not be in the Championship

11. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    You guys are all talking about a move to Fiorentina as though it was actually reported on by Sports Illustrated or ESPN rather by some dweeb who simply set up a twitter account using an unauthorized adaptation of the USMNT logo.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Are you saying sportswitness.co.uk is unreliable?

There aren’t a lot of sources for YA transfer rumors anymore. Especially since Greg Seltzer got out of the game. Gotta take what you can get.

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a Brian Sciaretta YA roundup today:

"Matt Miazga’s loan last season to Reading was a success and the club would love to have him back. Miazga certainly has interest in Holland and possibly Germany but the most likely landing spot right now would seem to be higher up the ladder in the Championship."

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    why?

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6315 adam tash, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    If MLS' contract rules restrict the range of transfers of players like Miazga who want(ed) to leave MLS....then just play out the deal and bounce...then you can choose any club you want whether they can pay the fee or not (there will be no fee)...especially if they have a euro passport like Miazga does.....

Otherwise...you risk staying stuck in MLS a la a player like Nagbe who wanted to join Celtic...but (very oddly) signed a contract extension with MLS just before he was due to be free....and now will likely never leave. Or Kellyn Acosta...who will likely never leave now either. etc etc

Basically the stars must align if you expect a euro club to pay a transfer fee for an MLS american....they have almost totally stopped paying these fees despite the improved quality of players in MLS.

It's kinda weird when you think about it....almost all of the players who have been bought from MLS lately have all been non-americans (almiron, davies, gruezo etc)....OR from clubs who already have an ownership stake in MLS (man city, RB)....

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    As an individual, Matt's done great: good money for being a rather mediocre defender. Any other career path is likely to have ended in disappointment, and with a lot less money earned.

TxEx, freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But in regard MM. Why should he have passed on Chelsea to play out his contract and bounce? I still don't see any compelling arguments.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Because CBs are the stars that bring eyeballs to screens.

That, or because Comisso is a delusional fcukwit. Since he paid good money to buy the Cosmos and prop up the NASL, I'm guessing the latter . . .

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I will never fully understand the valuation of players. I get that a lot of it is based on youth or potential or how many years left on their contract and all but still feels like some bizarre form of algebra.

21. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Chelsea are asking for way too much for a CB, and considering Matt’s quality.

Hopefully this doesn’t screw MM over in getting sold. If he isn’t I’m hoping he gets a loan to one of the two Seria A teams interested in him with an option to buy.

22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    if he goes for 20m, i'll eat my shoe

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 mil LOL, the worlds gone bananas if that Miazga gets that. Chelsea should be ecstatic for half that.

24. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I doubt the legitimacy of any report saying a serie A team is interested in Wil Trapp

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, it's way too much, but if folks were suspect about a Chelsea move they should be running away from a sale to Florentina fast as flash. Talk about your high potential to crash and burn move.