Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The wasnt the statement you made or the question I asked. He was found wanting at Vitesse for playing the ball out of the back. He improved in that area and became a key player for them. People are claiming it is quickness and agility. I dont see that as the problem. What do you think is the specific problems?

Why are so many people worried about levels for a young player? He isnt good enough for Chelsea and didnt impress enough at Nantes to stay in the club. @matabala thinks Vitesse is better than Reading and he was a key player for Vitesse last year. Enough so that only Kashia and a left winger had more minutes than him.

I actually really like this move to Reading at this point. I also am not as down on constantly being on loan as many are. He has played dutch football and got a taste of french football, and now he is getting to english football. The level is lower, but being asked to be a leader on a team that is going to be doing a lot of defending should help him work on parts of his game that need improving.

I dont believe it is "his level" as he has been successful at a higher level. He didnt get to Vitesse until he was halfway to 22 years old. It was always going to take him time to get to the EPL level.

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To put New York above a relegation-threatened Reading? Yes.

onefineesq and The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This is too simplistic of a question. Many MLS teams have improved a lot by adding foreign players.

I think Miazga spending a half season in a relegation battle is much better than dominating for NYRB.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't know about that, but I'm neither an expert nor a viewer.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We are comparing it to Reading in this case. Reading circa 1998/99 (third division, i think it was called the second back then but what is now called the first) was at a level above the MLS I was watching. It was pitch and putt but at least everyone was on the same page and no one was at the level of barely professional
    Reading, circa 2005/06 when they romped to first in what may have been the Championship (england's second) was better than MLS, but did share a few of the sorts of similar players on the top end that MLS clubs had at the time. The difference was Reading kept that quality going 24 deep, while at that point MLS kept it going about 4 to 6 deep.
    Reading circa 2016/17 would have been a very good side in MLS, as they finished in the Championship playoffs, losing the final on PKs (and I may be combining years but IIRC gave Arsenal a hell of a game in the FA Cup semis). Still, Toronto and Seattle by that time were very solid, complete sides, with some talent beyond what Reading could afford.
    Reading, circa 2018/19, when they will almost certainly fight to stay up until the last weekend of the season, would be a bad MLS side, and maybe a really bad one. Atlanta, Portland, SKC, NYRB all played better football, and with more complete rosters, than what Reading has been putting on the field right now. But Minnesota is probably a more coherant side. This Reading team is a mess. a squad designed for two managers but playing for a third.
    So, has MLS rose that much in recent years? Yes. But also, Reading has sunk.
    MLS does get better every year. Reading has seen peak Reading, and struggles to return to it.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's already their best CB. Which is not saying much TBH.

mschofield and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the #RelegationYankFactor where our boys are among the best or are the best player on a team due for relegation.

The Irish Rover, mschofield and Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Walker Zimmerman shows me that Miazga isn't a lock, and better show well with Reading and find consistent PT.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Actually yes, but this is not the that for that. The one example I'll give is Atlanta, where they probably have 3 players worth $10M+

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    For a 23 year old, MM has learned the craft of "professional STFU athlete" extremely well. That Shredder interview is as diplomatic as you can get. Dunno how high MM will top out, but he has got to be way low on the "likely to tank career due to stupid quotes" ranking.

HartwickFan, Winoman, bsky22 and 3 others repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he's 1 of the (surprisingly) several Yanks we have of Polish descent. Not as many as Germans mind you, but still impressive.

12. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's...what he's been doing.

russ repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey now! Due? Wait until Saturday, when that due will either be pretty much true or probably, maybe, false.
    This actually is a heck of a test for Miazga, because he can have an enormous amount to do with Reading staying up.
    Reading and Rotherham right now are on 29 pts from 33 games, so they've both been averaging .88 points per game. Since Gomes arrived, Reading have averaged 1.1 pts per game. If they keep that up over the rest of the season (13 games left), they will finish with 42 points. Historically, that's a "usually safe" number. In reality, the 1.1 pace over 10 games has seen them climb from bottom out of the relegation zone.
    Miazga has a pretty decent challenge. Reading doesn't have to win games over the rest of the season, they just can't lose 'em. They need to maintain a superior goal difference, and it's unlikely they're about to start scoring for fun.
    0-0 in every match from here through May probably sees them safe. I know it would be great if he could knock in a header on a corner, but what he's most being counted on for is to lead a lockdown defensive effort for the next 13 weeks. No more blips, no weekends off, no coasting for a minute or two here and there. Alert every second, contending every ball. There's no hiding in this situation. It's high stakes pressure, which is exactly the sort of thing a young defender needs to prove himself.

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    People are bringing up quickness, agility, and mobility and you are going to suggest Walker Zimmerman. He is the closest thing to Omar Gonzalez in MLS and not even close to Brooks in those areas. If there is any real challenge for Miazga, it is Long.

15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    yes. above a crap c'ship side? yes.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started & went 90:

Full-time: Reading 1-1 Rotherham United

Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore (c), Miazga, Baker, Swift, Ejaria (Harriott 86), Méïté (O'Shea 71), McCleary (Barrow 86), Oliveira.

Unused subs: Walker, Gunter, McShane, Loader.

Goal: Ejaria (31).

Yellow: Swift.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be a dog fight but it appears Miazga has helped stabilize the defense. Let's hope he pulls Reading kicking and screaming out of the relegation zone and can get a full transfer to a decent squad next year.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Chelsea's inability to bring in new players via transfer, they may have no choice but to rely on Matt next year. It could be interesting.

russ and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2 wins in 9 league games in 2019. Big missed opportunity today, and another late lead blown.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This hurts, but a point is a point. Obviously, three would have been better. Miazga had a chance to put away a second late, but headed wide.
    If I look at this season honestly, we're probably going down. A game like this, this should have been 3. But scratch and claw and grab a point a game and we're all right.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The positive is that, even if Reading is close to League One quality, MM is not one of its worst players.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The positive he is getting to lead a team that will be doing a lot of defending in a league that plays at a high pace.

Also, as @Jazzy Altidore mentioned, there is a chance he might actually be needed at Chelsea next season with the transfer ban and Luiz being 31 and Cahill 33. I've never seen the 18 yo from Wales who is being used for cover, but I'd think they might prefer a 24 yo Miazga if they thought they may have to rely on him.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sure his agent is informing him of this as we speak.

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    By my reckoning Chelsea currently have the following players out on loan who play the same position as Miazga.

Rahman
    Zouma
    Clarke-Salter
    Tomori
    Kalas
    Hector

They aren't going to be short of players even with a transfer ban.

Also a chance the ban isn't effective until after the summer, especially as they will appeal and that takes a while

Tom Collingsworth, mschofield and bsky22 repped this.