Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt NOT in the 18 today. Oy veh. Now what?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He needs to get loaned to a Dutch club.

3. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    How about Scotland? :eek:

largegarlic and Streaky Bacon repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A move away, most likley

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #5730 ArsenalMetro, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

1-0 loss to Angers, with the winner coming in the 94th minute.

Nantes travel to the Paris suburbs on Tuesday for a French Cup match against third-tier Entente SSG.

Entente might be the least interesting team in world football; through 19 games, they've scored 11 and conceded 18. Snoozefest.

EDIT: Their league rivals, Tours, might be worse. 8 goals scored and 13 conceded in 19 games. This league seems awful.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, that happened abruptly. Let's see how long the coach lasts. They don't seem to trending up and sure this was not foreseen when he was hired.

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Why would the manager, who never plays a player, be butthurt when the player forces his way out?

Obviously you didn’t rate him.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Losing to Angers was a 6 point debacle. While almost all their recent loses have been 1 pointers - they've had a few too many.

I think that terminating the loan early is going to reflect badly on Hilz (note: just saw that he blames MM - let's say "not including MM enough for him to not want to fake a back injury".) Not that MM is *exactly* a goal machine, but he did knock 4 in with Vitesse last season. Just having the option of a late-game sub for CK or FK opportunities seems worthwhile, but that's probably why I'm not a highly paid professional soccer manager.

TBF Nantes problem are offensive more than defensive and the ineptitude of the bottom 5-6 teams can't be overstated, but Nantes fall after a very brief honeymoon is not impressive.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Eredivisie is nowhere close to Ligue 1. Scoring in the former does not mean you can score in the latter.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is admittedly low on the "what you want out of a back" list, but scoring in the ered likewise does not mean you *can't* score in the ligue 1 (not that 4 is some crazy high number.)

Pallois scores a bit, but Carlos has 3 goals in 62 games/2.5 seasons and only 2 in his career before Nantes.

Really what Nantes needs are forwards and middies that can score. losing 3 recent games 1-0 is an attacking issue.

Haliliz is not looking like the miracle worker some had hoped. Oct/early Nov was ok. December/Jan has been poor. A few games with bottom feeder coming up. Nantes will have to do the deed then. But I think I won't have to pay attention to them any more, which is ok... Though I always like a reason to check in on the French league - it's pretty fun watching.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I suppose this thread needs a new title...

He's "back" - MM, not a loan but still on his own in Chelsea...

Dr.Phil repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Probably wouldn't hurt to see how the next 10 days play out.

14. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    (We're On the) Loan To Nowhere

On The Loan Again

15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I wonder how you would feel if an underperforming employee of yours fake something to get out of his/her work contract with you? There are things in life that are just not acceptable, even if it costs one little.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I never resist an opportunity for bad puns...

I hope he stays. Nantes are inching toward that place where they might feel compelled to shake things up a bit. Although if he's being accused of faking injury, it doesn't bode well for coach's confidence.

17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I mean, I look at this situation from the context of the sport/football world.

You have a player on loan, you refuse to play play him for 3 1/2 months and he, quite naturally, makes up his mind to leave.

I'm sure its a scenario which happens every transfer period across many clubs.

I'm not sure what is going on with the fake injury thing. I mean, it's obvious he needed to leave the club this January and now he has. It's good for everyone involved as far as I can tell.

IDK why the manager, who clearly doesn't rate him, would care if he leaves/make public comments about the nature of him leaving.

I suspect the manager is probably frustrated and MM is someone easy to lash out at.

adi21 repped this.
  18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I mean, truth be told I haven't watched Nantes but they seem to keep losing low scoring affairs which doesn't scream, "shake up in the defense" - he has played one game in 3 1/2 months under the new guy. He clearly doesn't rate him. Time to go.

19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    My back hurts, so I guess I'm off to England.

I need to try that one next time I want out of something.

Winoman and striker repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5746 m vann, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    I'm not excusing Mizaga's behavior if he did indeed fake an injury and jet off to London. But....... if should be noted that Mr. Halilhodzic was fired a mere two months before the World Cup by Japan. He got all pissy and filed suit against the Japan FA claiming defamation of character. It didn't hold up in court. He's sacking was justified for lack of communication and clashes with players. Halilhodzic was also canned 4 months before the 2010 WC by Ivory Coast for nearly the exact same reasons. So twice he led a country to WC Qualification only for his personality get in the way. There were issues at Dynamo Zagreb, too. He was very successful with Algeria, though. Like I said, Miazga may be in the wrong but Halilhodzic isn't a saint either. He never has been. Someone had to go and Miazga had an out being a loanee.

21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the Japan lawsuit is still ongoing. But Halilhodzic does have the above mentioned history and did just come off an experience where he feels he was deposed by an administrative coup by the Japan FA, so I’m not too surprised he would lash out like this over Miazga.

m vann repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On corner kicks?!?!?!?!?

EDIT : i just saw whom i am responding to.

23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

“He did Nantes break his back - Matt Miazga at Chelsea FC”

The Irish Rover and Dr.Phil repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's Not for Lack of Backbone: Miazga at Chelsea.