Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of academic works, the university that pays my salary might start to resent it if I spent most of my day reading each thread for detail. Reporting posts helps enormously. Mind you, we don't always agree with every post, but we do always look.

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taken care of.

onefineesq, ebbro and bungadiri repped this.
  3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Ugh @bungadiri is part of the bloated administrative bureaucracy that has helped fuel the student debt crisis.

Get him!

[​IMG]

russ, taylor, The Irish Rover and 4 others repped this.
  4. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the biggest mob to chase me since we tried to institute the soccer only Freddy Adu threads. I'm back, baby.

And by the way, let's end this threadjack.

neems, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    He is from jersey so using this training time to see family during holiday season. Hopefully he isn’t getting loaned back to a former alma mater in the area... He needs a good club overseas where he can thrive, he is a good defender and can succeed over there

adam tash repped this.
  6. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of academia, I miss @Friedel'sAccent

taylor, bungadiri and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I initially hated the move to sign with Chelsea. Then, I came to appreciate it when he was doing well in Holland, since it seemed like he was playing and improving, and a Dutch club couldn't/wouldn't have paid to get him out of MLS. Now that the Nantes loan looks to be a clear failure, and he looked rusty and shaky in his last couple USMNT caps after being benched at Nantes, I'm now unsure how to think about things. He's going to be 24 in July, and thus really at the end of his status as a prospect. That will make him a less enticing loan or purchase target for other clubs.

I'd speculate that his generally good performance in Holland gets him one more shot in a Euro league, and if he doesn't do well there, there's a decent chance he ends up back in MLS.

Zinkoff, ttrevett and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He needs a loan to a league where no one minds subpar defending.

russ, ttrevett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see him try his luck in the Championship. Maybe a mid table club where there is no pressure of relegation but also no expectation of promotion. Maybe a team like QPR or Aston Villa

largegarlic repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this post friendly? Are you being a good neighbor?

More signal less noise please.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Miazga did well in the Netherlands because he was a constant threat going forward.

He can do that in a league where indeed defending is secondary to attacking. Because his positional awareness has always been lacking.

Therefore, if he wants to succeed, he needs to move to a league where the fans don't care if his defending chops are not that good.

Easier to follow?

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I guess if he wants to go back to MLS, he could end up in MLS. But the Vitesse loan was an unqualified success. Not a "he's going to be a Chelsea player" success, but certainly a "there are lots of teams out there that could use MM - for the right price."

The right price is the problem. Being on Chelski's books makes it easy to got prospective employers on the phone, but writing a check that makes Chelski bother to return the call for a long-term deal is harder.

But all contracts come to an end if the player wants them to and MM apparently has an EU passport, so if he wants to continue playing on the continent he will have plenty of options. Whether those options are more interesting than MLS is a different question.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The fact that he went to Vitesse means no one really wanted him before that loan.
    Vitesse, like Breda for City, is where the guys Chelsea wants to loan out go when there are no real offers. Due to their deals, they have to take him.

He looked good there because Matt is a decent header threat in set pieces and has a nose for going forward and creating trouble. In more than one goal Vitesse conceded after a counter subsequent to a failed attack, Matt is not even in frame.

That is not going to cut it for a defender in other leagues though. So if not the Eredivisie, we're looking significantly lower, some Scandinavian league, or maybe Poland. Or Scotland.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope

bsky22 repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd guess that if MM wishes to stay in Europe he'll, at minimum, have success at a decent side in a decent "non big 4" league. The Ered is well suited for him (although you are overstating his "attacking/lack of defending - he led Vitesse in both clearances and blocks his last season there...) but he could easily slot into the right Ligue 1, Juliper or Portuguese side.

He's got a lot of years left on his Chelski contract, however, which means he's mostly at the whims of the loan market for the next little while unless Chelsea decides they need milk money.

One thing going for him is seems to know how to be a work-a-day pro, even in adverse conditions, which rarely hurts a decent but not great journeyman.

bsky22 and DeCoverley repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We know he's good enough for the Eredivise. But he can improve and the next club should see to that. Plus, it'd be nice to see a US defender in Italy.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It says a lot that Chelsea bought him for 5 million, but nobody else wanted to take him on a loan afterward (except Vitesse).

The Irish Rover repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why? ;)

Threadjacks are fun (in the absence of news, anyway)!

19. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, mainly because people yell at me and it makes me feel bad.

Wait, that's not consistent with me gloating about the size of my mob, is it?

russ, ebado, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1081264773168316417 is not a valid tweet id

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I dunno what it says. I wouldn't over-think the loan thing. Vitesse is an easy and smart place for Chelsea to put players. The loan very good players to Vitesse (Mount, Baker, Piazon...) and while they have their continent at Hull, a few in the Bund (often guys loaned back after Chelsea buy them...) and even the odd Serie A loanee, they have mostly Ered, Champs, Turkey (Even 2nd div), Jupiler, SPL etc. etc. Loans are a low margin move for these guys. It's mostly about keeping players happy and trying to build some value. I doubt clubs want to spend too much time finding a good fit. If you can get a bite with a phone call or two, think your boy will get PT and look good, you do it. Who cares what the league is as long as it's close enough to keep tabs.

22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    well well... reports of matt's demise were greatly exaggerated by some itt.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only starting because of that work he did in Jersey! Too bad he can't practice in 'Merica every day.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's in the bag, 3-1 already. Well, it's a Coupe game against a team that has rarely been a threat to anyone. Although "La Berrichonne" is a cool name (Berry is the Medieval name of the area where Châteauroux sits).

TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #5650 freisland, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    ended 4-1

here's the 3rd. some kid in his debut or something...

1081303924999708672 is not a valid tweet id

Evangelista missed a PK in the 1st half as well, I think. I've only seen Miazga mentioned for shutting down a second Chateauroux chance just after the goal.

Winoman repped this.