Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It wasn't just one game though, Matt had been consistently poor in his positioning after a couple of two good games early in the season. Nantes improved once he got benched, no one can dispute that.

It may be a moot point after all. The league may have to be suspended this year, with all the political troubles going on. This may end in a Sixth Republic.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well some players are bound to be sold/leave but...

Rüdiger
    Luiz
    Christensen
    Ampadu
    Cahill - leaving in January
    Zouma - on loan at Everton

Miazga will never make it at Chelsea. Not as a starter or even rotational starter.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How bad are the troubles exactly? I never know if it's hyperbole

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lmao no it will not.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna see him in Spain next month

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The French like their street battles. This has legs.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I doubt it. It's on the higher side for a good French protest, but I doubt France has the stomach for Le Pen at the moment.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Le Pen would be terrible news. The woman is a bloody idiot. She wants to split Belgium too, btw.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    While it seems the protests are split between hard-right populists and extreme left populist, it appears the plurality are Le Pen dead enders.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    elaborate please

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #5587 Suyuntuy, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Not the place, but to give you an idea:

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Rattachism

Rattachism (French: Rattachisme) or Reunionism (Réunionisme) is a minor political ideology which calls for the French-speaking Belgium or Wallonia to secede from the state of Belgium and become part of France. Brussels, which is majority French-speaking but enclave in Flanders, may be included within this ideology as may the six Flemish municipalities with language facilities for French-speakers.
    [...]
    French politicians Jean-Pierre Chevènement, Nicolas Dupont-Aignan, Jacques Myard, Marine Le Pen, and Jean-Luc Mélenchon have all voiced support for Rattachism.

---

To explain why this position is idiotic goes beyond the scope of this board. Just let me remind you both Belgium and France are members of NATO. What would happen if a member nation starts acting like Russia or China, trying to destabilize its neighbors to gain land? The alliance wouldn't survive. Which would be good news for a certain country to the East.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I love about France, and Paris in particular, is that there are countless opportunities to see things built in the place of something historical that they tore down.

Vive la révolution!

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not to mention the slight problem that Belgium is 60-40 Dutch-speaking. The Belgians semi-solved the problem in the late 60s/early 70s by creating two states within one country (four if you include the German-speakers micro-region and Brussels' autonomy-within-autonomy) because the animosity was too intense to contain within one country .

Put Belgium into France and it'll kick off again, on steroids, and Northern Ireland is a real possibility. Which is why nobody in Belgium really wants it, but it's a free hit for demagogues. No surprise to see Melenchon and Le Pen both dabbling in it.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #5590 The Irish Rover, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Don't bet on it. She's not as smart as, say, Ted Cruz (whose intellect means he's always calculating but never really planning) but she's smart enough for politics and has oodles of self-discipline, which is what makes her dangerous.

16. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Your examples are completely off base. Neither France or Belgium would be "acting like Russia or China" in an above scenario. I agree it is a far-fetched idea but not without some historical, cultural and geographical sense. How any of that relates to a "certain country to the east" is neither here nor there. Better you stick to soccer rather than geopolitical analysis.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39478066

So Marine Le Pen has been forced to look elsewhere for financing. In 2014, the National Front took Russian loans worth €11m (£9.4m). One of the loans, for €9m, came from a small bank, First Czech Russian Bank, with links to the Kremlin.

The loan was brokered by Jean-Luc Schaffhauser, an energy consultant turned MEP, who has called himself "Mr Mission Impossible".
    [...]
    The negotiations over the loan coincided with Russia's annexation of Crimea. EU governments condemned the annexation. Marine Le Pen publicly took the opposite view, leading some to question whether the loans were a quid-pro-quo.

---

There's an even better piece in the Financial Times, but it's behind a paywall. Who do you think is bankrolling the "grassroots" Nationalist movements in Western Europe?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The MAN? :p

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re getting WAY off topic. Back to Matt, please.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    :D

Of course the standard answer to that is "how can you prove the Western Media is not lying about it?" At which point you're expected to present proof, like the actual receipts.

Once you do, they're going to tell you, "how can you know all the proof was not concocted? How can you know the world you see is not a simulation?"

And they got a point. We cannot prove reality exists.

--
    PS: Sorry FalseNine, I promise I'm done.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    d0bb85d28935a9a74031c0eb660e6f85.jpg

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Oh good, politics.

HartwickFan repped this.
  23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Politics Is The Entertainment Branch of Industry." Frank Zappa

ChrisSSBB, russ, Suyuntuy and 2 others repped this.
  24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Politics is showbusiness for ugly people
    Paul Begala, or Jay Leno, or Tony Blair, or . . .

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to pile on but I agree and would add that both wings have their own corporate sponsors and national media spokes-networks (CNN/MSNBC on the left, Fox on the right). It's comical.

Winoman repped this.