Takeshi Okada

Discussion in 'Japan' started by larc-en, Oct 16, 2008.

1. larc-en

larc-en Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hi people! Well, the man himself has been a hot topic of discussion, especially since our recent 1-1 draw with Uzbekistan. I realise that this has appeared in other threads, but I wanted firstly to make a poll to gauge the opinions of everyone here and also a place to discuss the following:

Would you like to see Okada stay? Would you like to see him gone?

If you would like him gone, any suggestions on who could realistically replace him?

What should be the target of Okada and the national team in the World Cup 2010? Qualification? Getting out of the group? Top three?

Well, I get the impression that the majority of posters here can't stand Okada and in making this thread, I am probably starting a one-sided fight. But if I remember correctly, there are a few who have more moderate views on Okada, so hopefully we can hear both sides of the argument :)

2. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think he's the wrong coach for the job, but it's hard to say he should be fired without a replacement lined up.

3. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    He should be fired. He has had enough time to show whether he can get these players to perform. The team has not played anywhere near the standard that they can achieve so this is enough for me to call for his expulsion. A coach should be able to get the best out of his players, and Okada just doesn't do that I'm sorry. As for a replacement I really have no idea. I wouldn't mind seeing Troussier having another stab at it, he seems like a guy with a lot of passion and admiration for the ability of Japanese footballers. Nishino is another option as Gamba play very nice football.

4. Manoleitor81

Manoleitor81 New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Madrid-España
    Should be fire!!
    And I vote for Pixi in the bench.

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He should be sacked.

If anyone should be appointed, it should be either Ivica Osim, or Phillipe Troussier.

Osim we were all satisfied with mainly while he was coach.

Troussier did wonders with the team. Won Asian Cup 2000, 2nd in Confed cup beating Cameroon and holding Brazil 0-0 losing only 1-0 to France in the final, then 2nd round at WC 2002 losing only 1-0 to Turkey who finished 3rd overall. Those days are what Japan's footballing reputation as an Asian powerhouse is built on.

And, both are unemployed

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Dunga might be unemployed too, soon...

7. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Exactly. Japan has never been as dominant and intimidating as it was in the Troussier era. I would love to have him back.

8. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He needs some more time.Bringing in a new coach will be third coach in short time. When they start playing the way he wants them to, they will be unstoppable in Asia!! Japan is the best team in Asia and I love them almost as much as I love my Ecuador and LDU Quito, the champions of America and future winner of the FIFA World Club Cup!! :)

9. afireinside

afireinside New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    get him out of here.

10. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    He should go, but like scotch said not before the JFA have secured a replacement of sufficient quality. Okada's selections have been odd to say the least, his tactics haven't been working well, and he just doesn't fire up the player enough for the matches. Kind of a bit like McClaren in the England job.

I'd like to see Troussier or Osim back for another stint, although neither seems a likely option to be honest. Any other possible candidates in this mould, with a reputation for being strict and disciplinarian (because the team right now needs to get a collective ass-whooping), and has considerable tactical knowledge?

Japan should be looking at least at a top-16 finish in 2010, given its potential. But right now, qualification would be the best they're looking at.

11. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I am being a hopeless tragic by reading up on some old Troussier-era articles. I think this statement captures it all...

"The Japanese players do not know enough about the world, so it is important for them to have human experiences," he says. "They need to walk around London or eat pizza in Italy. This will break down the social borders and give them new ways to express themselves. You need human talent on a football field — to communicate and make decisions under pressure."

That is why we need him back. He understands!

Full article here... http://www.iht.com/articles/2000/09/14/coach.2.t.php

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  13. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'd rather not go back to Troussier... there is a reason he is unemployed.

14. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Okay maybe not.

15. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'd like somebody with his motivational skills but without... that... asshole experimental nobody knows wtf is going on attitude.
    I kind of wonder how a guy like Klinnsman would do -- but I'm pretty sure he lives in California and the US would bend over backwords for him.

16. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Troussier makes a good point in that Japanese managers don't motivate well enough. And the players as a result don't use aggression. A manager shouldn't go to a team thinking realistic, they should want perfection and drill into the players every time they're less than perfect. Not saying rubbish like
    do my best', more like telling the players they are going to win, and intimidate them somewhat. Okada doesn't look like the sort of bloke who gives a great pep talk before a game.

Training techniques like making the entire squad do 20 push ups when someone miss a pass or run a lap every time they miss a shot. Intimidation as well, letting every player know that they're not needed and there are a hundred more capable players to play if necessary. Make them feel they're spot is on the line.

on another note
    Sportsnavi had articles quoting Okada saying he's gonna take a camp to increase stamina/fitness.

17. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I must agree