Taegeuk Warriors General Transfer Thread Part II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Reach24

Reach24 Member

South Korea FC
    South Korea
    May 2, 2012
    Korea Republic
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    sneaky move for RSW. getting in the draft plus making it to europe.

2. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

i believe jsk14 pointed out a great point that just in case and if it doesn't work out in dortmund. Ryu, by going straight to europe cannot play in k-league for 5 yrs. so, that's was main reason i believe Ryu turned down. Just something to fall back on if it doesn't work out when dortmund first called for his service. I think it's a brilliant move by Ryu and his people who advised him.

3. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No fun rumours?

4. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    http://translate.googleusercontent....oo-ryu&usg=ALkJrhiP8FCq-dZ74qCEtldMv5zljLoBrg

5. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. This is a great move. He likely isn't going to get much time at Leverkusen, but honestly it's not like he was going to play much if he signed for Dortmund either.
    It's a low-risk move with a safety net (Jeju) to fall back on if the loan doesn't work out, but could pay huge dividends if he does well. Greater exposure, experience, etc. Signing for Dortmund was too high-risk and he was likely going to waste his first few years "developing" there anyway.

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who he might displace at Leverkusen is irrelevant as he will be playing for their reserve side for the foreseeable future.

It's not the best decision but good enough. Being on loan has its own risks too though. Like Leverkusen treating this even more as a flier with less invested. If he gets hurt at wrong time he could be playing for jeju before you know it.

zdrstvte and takeuchi repped this.
  7. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  8. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Getting loaned out would be ideal if he can stay healthy.

10. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    this is basically 1 yr trial with zero risk involved for Leverkusen. even if he were to go out on loan, im not sure if he would be rdy to start in Bundesliga 2 clubs right now. really strange decision but i hope it works out for him.

11. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I don't know why any of you would complain about this. It's a better decision than going to BVB, which has a stronger squad. And it looks like Leverkusen is preparing for life without Sidney Sam by signing an 18 year old in Brandt and RSW. As long as RSW works hard, he should be fine and the loan made permanent. That and he'll have the benefit of SHM there to guide him through the transition phase.

Ohhii, seoulman9 and KyopoOhNo repped this.
  12. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    He should have moved to another club where they actually use CAM.

13. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    is RSW a candidate to participate in Asian Games? if so, this is basically a 6 month trial with much more pressure for him to perform.

14. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think "complain" is a strong word. Fact of the matter is that it will be hard for RSW to break into the starting 11 for either Dortmund or Leverkusen right away and that time in reserves / loan so that he can learn the language and get some higher level experience would have been necessary. And obviously this *should* be better than sticking it out in the K-league hoping to catch the rare K-league scout's eye.

That said, look across both rosters over the past few seasons. Leverkusen has very few internal promotions, especially recently outside of Bender. Schurrle/Kiessling/Son all buys. Dortmund over the past few years on the other hand has been building from the inside until this past window... and even then look at Durm.

The other question outside of team selection would be whether risking the 5 year ban vs the current loan deal. Thats a bit more up in the air... would a reasonably high profile youth buy for Dortmund have a reasonable set of opportunities even if he doesn't make it? Probably but maybe not a whole 5 seasons.

On the other hand, how much did Leverkusen pay for this loan? I'd suspect a fair amount either now or with the purchase option for Jeju to let him go, but the question becomes what happens if Ryu were to get hurt near the end of the deal after a possible tough transition period? Does Leverkusen have enough skin in the game that they exercise the option or do they write him off? Compare that with the permanent deal he had with BVB where BVB would be more incentivized to keep developing him.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I get less worried about system fits on younger kids. Hopefully he can adapt to playing wider. But certainly Hyypia's adherence to 4-3-3 not ideal.

The AG will be a big deal however its structured. I'd suspect that he'd be eligible and one of the top selections.

16. JL104

JL104 Member

Jan 29, 2006
    I know he's promising because I've been hearing his name since few years ago but did he get better enough to have a decent impact in k-league? (i don't watch much k-league). according to the korean news, it seems he's pacy and a good dribbler, but not much else after.

17. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    He's being sent out on loan, just like CDR when he went out on loan to Biefeld as soon as he went to Leverkusen.

Stop being so short sighted.

It looks like Leverkusen is looking to collect as many young talent as possible. There is an inherent hedge in this loan to permanent signing structure. But if they do send him out on loan, they are looking at this as a long term acquisition.

Perhaps Leverkusen isn't taking the most talented from that squad considering the amount of injuries we sustained leading into that tournament. But they can only judge the talent that was on display (and whom they scouted). They liked what they saw, so let's see how this plays out.

There's no need to be so negative and worry about playing time right now. It's not like he's going to the world cup next summer.

18. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  19. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Kids should do this more often instead of going all in.

20. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Won't this rule just lose its impact as the loophole now is pretty clear?

21. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The draft system is going away in 2 years time so it won't even matter . Not really aimed at kids like Ryu anyway. And really why should they even care, the Kleague club will get benefit out of it if they decide to sell.

skimmilk repped this.
  22. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I have no idea why they set up these rules. It seemed ostensibly to force players into the draft system.

But my point is that the only reason there's the "all-in" vs not is this rule. Without, there would be no different risk than Ryu signing with BVB/Leverkusen 5 months ago than this arrangement.

takeuchi repped this.
  23. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This loan is for 1 year with little consequence if he fails. If he went to Germany in the summer he would have been tied down for 4-5 years. He has 2 exemptions chances coming up. The risk is still there with or without the bann.

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #75 skimmilk, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    The risk of the 1 yr loan is greater than a permanent deal. Tthe pressure is on him to stay healthy and perform to convert to permanent deal. One injury or another player getting very hot in his position, and he could be on a plane back to Jeju very quickly.

With a permanent deal, if he had such a bad 1st year with reserves that BVB/Bayer didn't want to deal with him any more there would have been still dozens of BL/BL2 squads eager to pick him up. And if he were to have say 3 bad years in a row, I'm pretty sure Dortmund would allow him to runaway back to Korea based on his low salary.

EDIT: Clearly the ability to go back to k-league weighed heavily on RYU and this deal is a good compromise where everyone wins (bayer get to try out the kid before exercising option, jeju gets some money for a few months of work, and ryu can go back to korea while still getting a tryout in the BL). But it wasn't the best deal and still holds a lot of risk for RSW.

Chingoo and takeuchi repped this.