Tactical Discussion Megathread

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by PrimeDona, Oct 23, 2019.

?

Are you happy with Carlo Ancelotti's tactics during his management tenure so far?

1. Yes

18.2%
  2. Somewhat

45.5%
  3. No

36.4%
  1. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This thread is for discussing all things relating to tactics, patterns of play, substitutions and team selection choices. What needs to be improved? What are we doing well?

2. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    I have to opt for Somewhat, though I am closer to a Yes than a No. I do not think that modern football has adopted a single philosophy that must be followed or you will lose. I don't see evidence of that when I look at how various great clubs play. I didn't like each and every game under Sarri, as some here supposedly did. I remember games where we played badly and Higuain or Reina saved the day, though some have long ago forgotten all about it and these things obviously didn't happen to Sarri, for he's a God. But I, for one, remember a great number of games where passing the ball to one another in midfield was as much as we could do, and it was more frustrating than what has been happening with us now. I am not a big fan of passing the ball around and boring the hell out of the fans, but I have nothing against those who love it. I would just prefer if they could state their opinions without assuming their superiority.

3. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course many games under Sarri were frustrating. No one is disputing that.

What people prefer is taste too. I for example do not enjoy Liverpool or Tottenham but like Manchester City or Wengers Arsenal.

The problem I have with Ancelotti is that nothing seems to have a pattern. Of course many in modern football use variations. But I know what to expect from City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Inter or PSG.

I don’t know even know where a Napoli player may play and I see this confusion on the pitch. Koulibaly and Allan were yesterday arguing of who should have stood where.

This is like Benitez second season, but even under Benitez we had some great games and the squad was much weaker. Let’a also not forget that Benitez bought all our players for very cheap prices while Ancelotti spend 42M on Lozano.

I genuinely believe it it was not Ancelotti who coached Napoli, any other coach with these performances and results so far would have been fired.

4. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    Love his subs, I like his starting 11 selections. He has balls, he'll take off Insigne if he sucks. Not a fan of the way we play

5. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree. But I only love the balls if it serves a purpose.

Btw I criticized Sarri too for making Hamsik captain and Insigne wise captain.

Should have been Jorginho and then Koulibaly.

Sacki and Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  6. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I'm pretty sure it's based off seniority otherwise agree, I think right now Koulibaly should be the captain and then Allan. They're the 2 warriors who seem to actually lead us on the field.

Sacki and CarecaNapoli repped this.
  7. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree though boss have been piss poor this season.

Sacki repped this.
  8. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Juego de Posicion has always been my favourite football philosophy, so it's not a surprise why I enjoyed Sarri's tenure so much. Some people might prefer direct football, which is fine but I don't think this squad is suited to that style. We have too many technicians to be playing a direct style of football, it neutralizes their best attributes which is to move the ball around quickly and forces them to use their physicality and pace

9. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Average distance covered in Serie A per game:

1. Inter
    6. Juventus
    19. Napoli

Attached Files:

10. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Under Sarri we ran the same amount as Inter.

PrimeDona repped this.
  11. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is why I keep reiterating about our lack of intensity, and now the stats back it up. The players are lazy and do the bare minimum to win games, now that teams have figured us out under Ancelotti the “bare minimum” isn’t enough anymore.

12. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It has nothing to do with the players. These players ran much more under Sarri when they had trained movements. The coach is responsible.

Read this article. Bayern players started training without him. He was not intense enough.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...otti-arjen-robben-franck-ribery-a7980666.html

‘The magazine ran a story claiming that Arjen Robben, Franck Ribery, Mats Hummels, Jérôme Boateng and Thomas Müller were particularly unhappy with Ancelotti’s relaxed training sessions and had so organised ‘secret’ high-intensity sessions behind his back.

Robben was allegedly the ringleader behind these private training sessions, reportedly complaining that Ancelotti’s training methods were less strenuous than the ones his son had to do with his school team.’

13. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ADL won’t get rid of Carlo this easily though, for some reason he keeps defending him. Meanwhile Mourinho and Allegri are both without a job.

14. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is obvious. He can hide behind him. We all get annoyed when a top coach comes here and says we are good enough to win the league. We all knew we aren’t. We all knew change was needed. Ancelotti has put all the responsibility on himself. if ADL gets a no name coach and things go bad people will much quicker blame ADL.

But with Ancelotti all blame has been towards the coach. But we all know the real culprit is ADL. We did not invest properly and did not replace our aging players.

15. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bayern have just sacked Kovac and are chasing Allegri as his replacement. Emery is on the brink. If we don't act fast it might be too late to get rid of Carlo. It leaves us in a very tough situation with no suitable replacement.

16. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don’t want Emery. He is a fraud.

17. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not talking about hiring him, I'm saying Emery is about to be sacked and Arsenal will hire Mourinho. That leaves us with no options left.

Sacki repped this.
  18. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    just look at the differences it's just ridiculous.

this was done with a mediocre bench, gk and rb

19. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don’t think we’ll ever have a better coach than Sarri, and hiring the “world famous” Carlo has proved that in his 18 months here. I just want a manager that gets results and has us competing, I don’t even care about beautiful football anymore. Is that too much to ask?

20. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Then the question is: do we have the players to play ugly and win? I don't think we do. Should have just kept the pass and move tactics with dynamic triangular passing options for the ball holder. We defended as a unit and attacked as one, it was beautiful to watch.

Imagine if we had Manloas, Di Lorenzo, Ruiz and Meret under Sarri. Hamsik was often the weakest player under Sarri (some people seem to have forgotten that), Ruiz would've set this team on fire

CarecaNapoli and PrimeDona repped this.
  21. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yep our squad currently is the best it’s been since the Maradona days, there’s absolutely no excuse for our current predicament. Since the Fiorentina game we’ve earned 15 pts in 10 games, and that’s with Meret saving our asses. Sadly other than Pep nobody else can deliver Sarri’s football. Our best case scenario is to hire a defensive manager who can adapt to the squad and play a bit more offensively while delivering trophies.

22. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    But we let in more goals now and 10 times more chances. Everything is worse. Ancelotti needs to restructure things or leave

PrimeDona repped this.
  23. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That’s why we need a defensive manager who can get the best out of K2, Manolas, Ghoulam, Di Lorenzo

24. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ADL beings team into ritro and Ancelotti is against it.

The team is a reflection of him. Polite, friendly, no aggression or desire at all.

25. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Like I said many times, 90% of the time we do the bare minimum to win a match. Sometimes it’s enough sometimes it’s not. This team has so much more potential, even the “finished” players like Callejon, Ghoulam, Llorente