Rumor: Tabare Ramos could be named Interim Manager?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thedukeofsoccer, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is worth considering that Tab never had all of our best players when we got those results. In 2013 with a group of mediocre players, he got 2nd in qualifying, once again his best were not available for the final against Mexico and if not for a poorly taken PK by Luis Gil, we would've beat the best team at the U20 World Cup and advanced from the group stage.

2. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The two don't necessarily have anything to do with one another. Let Sunil lead WC2026, he's a much better fit for that role anyway.

3. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab is fine for interim but I want to hire an outsider, one who can actually coach unlike Klinsmann. Tab is part of the "good old boy" network.

I fully expect him to get the job permanently after the interim tag is removed. Unfortunate.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Surprised a BS poster was capable of taking the germane conclusion from such a mass of data. Repped.

b.t.w., Ramos was a Klinsmann assistant at the end.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I dont think so.

I'll give Tab apiece of advice. Be ruthless. Stand on your convictions.

Tab Ramos gives us time. I'd much rather hire Tat Martino in November 2018 than November 2017.Wouldnt you?

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab Ramos as next USMNT manager?..... Why not just straight up go the Full Embratsu and name Jay Heaps?

Sunil Gulati is our Past, our Present, our Future....

russ repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Disagree. Tab interim and permanent coach when an obvious really good fit presents itself.

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. If Klinsmann was able to get 22 points and win the Hex last cycle without a talisman like Pulisic imagine how good we could be if we get a manager who could actually "coach".

Wait, the guy who replaced Klinsmann could coach and man manage and do tactics and was able to give the players clear roles an instruct the players on where they were supposed to be on the field and ...

I know I read hundreds of posts here on BS saying just that. ;)

9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a genius like Klinsmann was able to get 0 out of 6 points this Hex cycle, with a talisman like Pulisic, how could an idiot like Arena manage to get 12 out of 24?...
    I know I read hundreds of posts here on BS asking just that ;)

whiteonrice04 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show me two!

Yours is the first and only post that I have seen on BS that calls Klinsmann a genius. Are you confusing genius with snake oil salesman?

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor JK, only had the services of Clint Dempsey in his prime... Seriously, will you still be here shilling for JK ten years from now? It's getting pathetic, THHF...

12. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I'm saying. We need to hire a complete outsider imo, someone with zero connections to American soccer

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Martino is no Klinsmann. I'd say the chances he's still in Atlanta come next summer are 50/50.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see that as a problem. I don't happen to be one of those who thinks he must be hired. I wouldn't mind Martino as USMNT ; I just think the manner of hiring the next manager is more important than whom we hire. We really need to insulate the manager from the bad influences of marketing suits. That isn't happening with a teenie-weenie personality like sunil Gulati around. America was built on sturdier stuff.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also had Donovan, who scored our 2nd goal against Mexico and we qualified for the 2014 World Cup.

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ scored the first and winning goal against Mexico which broke their resolve. He also almost scored an earlier goal on a towering header which scared the daylights out of El Tri.

Remind me again, how many matches did Donovan play in the 2014 Hex?

17. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    It always seems to be a point of debate when it comes the US manager - how well do they know American soccer.

And it generally goes into two camps: either it's "American soccer has its own unique identity - we're not like soccer elsewhere in the world; we need a US manager who really understands that" or it's "American soccer is inferior/defective - we need an outsider who can come and reform it and ignite the revolution."

But maybe this is a point that we might think too much about. I'm not sure it's really all that important that a new manager has to be an experienced hand within the system. Certainly, if they are, that's fine - but if they're completely new to American soccer, I still think that would be fine too. US soccer has its idiosyncrasies, but I don't give much credence to the idea that we have some essential, innate, unique, special identity that only an experienced American coach will understand. American soccer is not a unicorn - I think we'll be okay even if the manager is not a virgin.

However, on the opposing side - I think it is essential that if an outsider is hired, that they be willing to try to acquaint themselves and understand the US soccer system. Not have any preconceived bias about the quality of the product - but have a genuine and real desire to know and understand, with the objective of improving it. Among other benefits, it's a pragmatic approach - any grandiose visions of overturning US soccer and rebuilding the whole system would be ambitious and unfeasible. A coach would have to accept that this is how the system is - with all its flaws.

The USSF seems to place a lot of stock in the US manager being someone who already knows the system - but I think that it shouldn't be a priority or a requirement for the job.

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your posts alone are a rich mine of deep admiration for the brilliance of the JK Way. Scanning back, you seem to have made it the centerpiece of the last half decade to make the marble of the Jurgen Idol shine very bright. Others may have suggested your idol was a snake oil saleman, but let the Heathen rage, oui?
    I admire that.
    It takes a special True Believer to sustain that kind of extraordinary dedication.
    What's your magic, Houston Hoya?...;)

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are trying to convey but more than half the current team plays abroad and don't play under the "American" system.

20. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I simply cannot believe how many people are writing positive things about Ramos coaching the senior team in any way, shape or form for any time period.
    1) I've never seen him coach well at any level (his New Jersey youth club was not in the lease bit impressive and he's done a poor job at the youth national team level.
    2) He's' a poster child of good old boy coaches in our youth national program. The guy who didn't think Morris who was absolutely tearing up the DA couldn't help a U20 team with no speed or size, yet found a way for Javon Torre, who rarely started a game for UCLA is entire career playing out of position as a starting outside back. And we wonder why there is hole in the development for this age group.
    3) Even if he was great at 1 and 2,, the guy not been a head coach for a team with a player older than 20 (or if so, the tenure was so short I missed it). He's in coaching training wheels and is from a country where the coaching is badly behind the players in terms of development.

People are calling for change. Instead the leading candidate to start the process of turning around an unmitigated disaster represents everything that is wrong with US Soccer. The fact this his name gets mentioned as a long term candidate by some supposedly knowledgeable and leading soccer writers helps explain why we have so badly under performed at all levels. It is sad that only a few people posting seem seem to realize why there are are thousands of coaches that would be a better choice

russ, matabala, TOAzer and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn’t have Pulisic but he did have some guy named Don-O-Van who helped the team to 3 wins. Then he tossed him aside and we had no offense in the World Cup because of it.

I admitted that I was wrong about Bruce at halftime on Tuesday but let’s not forget that Klinsmann lost to effing Guatemala and Jamaica at home before getting owned by Costa Rica in what was the most uninspired loss I’ve seen by a US team (until Bruce said, “hold my beer...”)

If you think JK would’ve done better, then you are just not living in reality. They both were horrible.

22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think having our best generation of players in their prime had at least a little to do with that. just like having those same guys in their early-mid 30s had a lot to do with this hex.

wheres the guys who should have followed that generation, bridging the gap to the pulisics, mckennies, acostas? lets all ask tab...

and NOW were back on topic.

Marko72 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  23. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone seems to be excited about Martino. Last year it was Pareja. Who will be the guy everyone thinks is our savior next year? Here are some odds:

Martino (again) -150
    Pareja +150
    Greg Vanney +200
    Tab +300
    Luis Enrique +350
    David Wagner +400
    Juan Carlos Osorio +450
    Patrick Viera +500
    Jesse Marsh +500
    Thomas Tuchel +600
    Peter Vermes +700
    Sam Allardyce +800
    Caleb Porter +900
    Jason Kreis +950
    Greg Berhalter +1000
    Miguel Herrera +1100
    Marcelo Bielsa +1200
    Carlo Ancelotti +1300
    Bob Bradley +2000
    Sigi Schmid +2500
    Louis Van Gaal +3000
    Guus Hiddink +4000
    Roberto Martinez +5000
    Arsen Wenger +7000

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe someone else replied to you in a different thread that a coach like that doesn't exist. If by "international" you mean foreign then perhaps that coach would pick guys at first based purely on what they see. Given a few months every coach will settle on a few guys as the core critics players.

Marko72 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was meant to say "core critical players" in case it causes any confusion.