Tab Ramos USMNT interim manager

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HScoach13, Oct 18, 2017.

?

Tab Ramos is rumored to be the USMNT interim manager. Are ou in favor of this?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Yes but only if he is not to be considered as the permanent manager.

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. No he is part of the reason we are not going to Russia

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Looking for ideas here. He seems logical for the short term but I think we can do better for a permanent manager

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam allardyce has been mentioned as interested, maybe Thomas Tuchel. Laurent Blanc has also expressed interest.

Ramos isn't in the right league, but a couple of divisions down in this race

We need someone with a stronger coaching record than Bradley, Arena, or Klinsmann. Ramos definitely ain't that.

3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As interim he would be just fine given his extensive experience and knowledge of the youth players. Having him bring in the youth for all friendlies through the 2018WC would be fine. It could help the semi-permanent, aren't they all, manager with evaluation of the players under game situations.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I guess a sub question for those that mention a big name is will their be that type of hire before the friendlies in November and would that type of hire be made prior to the Feb. election?

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I figure Tab is most likely one of the best options to immediately start bringing in the young players since he's worked with most of them already. I just don't care for the idea of a guy with no head coaching experience at top level being given the job. With the extended timeline we've got, waiting until the election seems prudent to ensure that whoever is hired has support instead of being an instant legacy hire. I'd actually even be tempted to wait until after the World Cup in case any top coaches are available after. I do think that if this approach is taken it needs to be crystal clear to Tab and he has to be on-broad with the idea that his position would be temporary.

Guinho repped this.
  6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab is most noteworthy for the players he didn't evaluate well. Sure, let's have more of that.

Honore de Ballsac, TOAzer and Guinho repped this.
  7. LamarHunting

LamarHunting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tab Ramos should be the interim coach because he's familiar with the next group of players, not because he's a tactical genius.

A new coach shouldn't be named until after the election of US Soccer president next spring, and even then, I'd wait until after the World Cup, although that could make getting any coaches from MLS trickier.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a. the hire would be on an interim basis. As if we could or should try to get a world class manager from the outside for a job we and they would know is temporary.
    b. Bruce the original and Bradley are arguably the best managers we've had. Bruce getting old and developing loyalties doesn't mean we all of a sudden should be averse to an MLS or American coach. That fells French managers, Italian, Dutch, it doesn't matter the nationality or league they coached in. Bruce was getting owned by Vermes and co. in MLS too.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, there is no reason we shouldn't be hiring now for the 2022 cycle. That's not an interim gig but I agree that it should wait until after the election

Yes, Arena and Bradley are the best coaches we have ever had, and that's not good enough going forward. That era needs to be over. Bradley is a very capable coach for division three soccer. We need a first division coach.

Show me how much experience Ramos has in the later stages of the UEFA champions league or Libertadores. None. That's the end of the analysis.

I don't care if the coach is from the US or Argentina or Vanuatu as long as they have proven they can win with different clubs at the highest level. Let Vermes step into the world stage first and coach a team at that level. Hell, trying winning a concacaf champions league trophy for starters!

It is time to stop setting such low expectations.

10. Clover362

Clover362 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I'd Like Van Gaal if I were choosing and if her were interested. Touchel will never happen.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in the real world. Americans aren't getting chances at those jobs and if they do it's a high-risk one where they get a short leash. So by that measure, we'll never hire an American coach again. We'll be in the mix for mostly putzes like Klinsmann who got those jobs off their names as players and then failed. Especially for someone who would take an interim job. We're probably not getting successful managers to this job, let alone to this role.

The #1 priority for USS right now has to be talent identification/integration, namely from MLS, because we're so behind in that regard. There's not many proven enough players in Europe that we haven't integrated, and if they're good enough it'll eventually become clear to pretty much any manager from their club play. New MLS standouts warrant the shots with the national team because we aren't near close to being above that at this point, and reality is they can't transfer to a decent overseas league without these opportunities. Would Carlo Ancelloti be heavily scouring MLS right now? Maybe he'd surprise me, but look at Klinsmann's attitude, and both the last two Italian managers to Giovinco for example. Tactics isn't our current priority let alone from an interim manager. The next time we play a meaningful game is about 3 years from now. Maybe we could prioritize tactics then, when our squad was mostly defined, and more guys had a chance to transfer to Europe. I'm perfectly open to a coach of whatever background, but truth is some are more apt to deal with our circumstances, and they should have to show it beforehand in the interview that they get it.

You admitted we can't hire a full-time manager until the reelection, several months from now, so Tab it is at least for now, and maybe for a couple years even. May well do better than a big name coach at this particular task. Doesn't mean we have to stick with him when it matters.

12. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you guys change the name of the thread title?

sXeWesley and truefan420 repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed I thought this was official at first

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  14. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry for the unclear title. It appears it will take a moderator to change the title.

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we wait a couple of years to hire a real coach, we'll be hopelessly behind and should prepare to lose to T&T and fail to qualify in 2022 also, and deservedly so.

I'm not talking about Klinsmann as a coach who was never a success at the highest club level or national level. If Anecelloti or Allardyce were the US coach, of course they'd be scouting MLS, just as Tite scouts both the Brazilian League and Europe to blend the team. In fact, just about every national team coach outside of the big European leagues has to scout their domestic league as well as the internationally based players. Klinsmann's probably wasn't that he wasn't American, it is that he is an idiot. Frankly, I don't blame Italy for not being sure about Giovinco. It's hard to make a case that scoring a bunch of goals in MLS is superior to scoring fewer against much better opposition in Serie A. It's very hard to determine how that translates into national team performance. (Still, I think he should be called up and evaluated on a level playing field.)

When an American works his way up to coaching at the highest level, then they should be in consideration. If there were American coaches worth their salt, they'd be getting those jobs. Bradley showed though that the pool of US coaches isn't very strong by falling on his face at Swansea.

yes, wait a couple of months. But just watch. Ramos will call in Bradley and the same cast as Arena. WE need someone with a fresh view of the player pool.

16. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    "Bradley showed though that the pool of US coaches isn't very strong by falling on his face at Swansea."

Bradley took one of the few opportunities that was available to him or any US coach outside of the MLS. He took over a sinking ship and .... could not right the sinking ship... surprise... It was a gamble but that appears to be all that US coaches get in Europe. He knew he could always fall backwards to the safety of the MLS and guess what he did. Good luck to David Wagner but in a way he is not a US coach... Speaking of Wagner I think he would be an excellent USMNT coach.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with it in the short term. No way are we going to get the right coach by the November friendlies and we need to play in those games. Somebody has to coach the team.

More so, this might promote Tab for the u23 team, which would be alright, as well as an assistant, which the new coach would benefit from not being a total outsider.

I would say, through November is totally fine, January Camp is not ideal but would rather have than having the wrong coach, by Spring I would start feeling the itch, and by the end of the World Cup it would be totally unacceptable to not have the new coach.

Galati should just make it clear that he cannot call in anyone over the age of 25.

2in10 repped this.
  18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Has an interim been appointed yet? November Is Coming.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  19. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? As a United fan, you would choose Louis Van Gaal?

20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree we are at almost 10 days since the unmitigated disaster.

21. Clover362

Clover362 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I'm a Louis Van Gaal truther. If you look at Van Gaal's results year one they compare favorably to Morinho's first year. His second year he had them top of the league before the team was decimated by injury, and he still won the FA cup. Morinio finished 6th year one and has way out spent Van Gaal to get to what is likely a 2nd place team. Van Gaal did quite well with Holland and he can definitely set up a team to be organized and not give up goals.

22. LamarHunting

LamarHunting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There should be an interim manager for a couple reasons.

1) It's the middle of the season for most major leagues around the world. Any manager that isn't already unemployed is going to require a buyout. By waiting until next spring or even next summer after the World Cup allows US Soccer to expand their candidate pool if they don't potentially want to mess with a messy buyout. It's not so much the amount they'd have to pay, but that any buyout for a manager is going to be a potential roadblock.

2) If the next US Soccer president is not involved in the selection of a "permanent" manager then you could potentially have a conflict of ideology and vision for the senior team. This would only delay any meaningful progress or reform fans want to see.

3) Ramos knows the current and future player pool as well as anyone else. He also just signed a contract extension as the U20 coach. My guess is that if he's interim and U20 coach, he knows that any permanent senior team manager will evaluate him and his current position as U20 coach. It would be smart to keep continuity in some youth level positions, but not my decision to make.

Mr Martin and keller4president repped this.
  23. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Falls Church
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't want to see anywhere near the Team. What has he done with professional players to deserve a shot ? Would rather see fill in the blank MLS Coach until we can name the next coach.

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Ramos might decline intermin manager position, because he only wants full-time position, as has been reported here:
    http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/...erim-national-team-coach-this-weekend-sources

In that case, the following would be decent options for the interim position for a few friendlies until Jan. camp in 2018. (I wouldn't consider any of them for the full-time position though). Most are free and out-of-work, so would be easy to nab for a few months.

Pablo Mastroeni - knows the US team set-up, has head coaching experience. Love his passion and fight.

Dom Kinnear - current LA galaxy asst. manager, but they've already been eliminated. He could spare two months for the national team.

Frank Klopas - Did pretty decent in Montreal.

Curt Onalfo - Decent back-up option. Former USMNT asst.

Richie Williams - Arena's assistant. Plenty of USMNT experience.

Pat Noonan - Another of Arena's former assistants.

25. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Other than a guy who comes in knowing and agreeing that he is "interim only" I wouldn't want any of those because there is too much risk they will end up with the job if they run off a couple of wins.

Those are not the kind of coaches we need to move this program forward. Esp. Richie Williams of all people.

No "Arena guys" please. Or any more USS GOBs

chad repped this.