Tab Ramos Contract Extension as Youth Technical Director and U-20 Manager

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TimB4Last and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't like this but at least he is experienced now.

3. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    The important work is going on outside US Soccer every day. US Soccer is not as important to youth sports as some think. Youth soccer chugs along regardless of what they are doing in US Soccer. Somebody needs to be a figurehead in a bureaucracy. Better him than me.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  4. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Yay! More mediocrity!

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Actual playing style and the feeling that we're getting closer to winning a youth trophy is not really that improved. Organizationally stuff has improved a lot. The addition of U-18, U-19 teams has been great. I feel that most core NT players will have a solid YNT experience because of this.

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab's decision to invest heavily in U-18, U-19, & U-16 teams has been huge. US Soccer now has a YNT for every age year from U-14 thru U-20

That has plugged holes & allows YNTs to cast a wide net and build huge youth player pools

It's paying big dividends.

As a coach, Tab's tactics ("Tab-tics") have confused me and I've disagreed at times but he has gotten results with the U-20 team and put players on track for the USMNT. 2013 was just a bad age group but Tab has improved big time in 2015 & 2017, no doubt

He's been more good than bad for the program

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He still got decent results with them though. We finished 2nd in qualifying and if Luis Gil would've scored on the penalty kick against France's U20s, we would've beaten the best team at the tournament and had enough points to advance to the next stage.

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Winoman, Midas Mulligan and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Giving credit to a Youth National Team coach for development makes no sense. He spends less than 5% of the year with any of our youth players.

Indicators of success are style of play, squad selection, and results.

He has been average at getting results but our ability to instill our will on opponents through possession has been non-existent.

We will never reach the heights of the game on a global stage with hard working athletes.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 mattjo, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Just to get the percentages right, if the only tournaments and camps the YNT coach sees the players in 2017 includes the CONCACAF and U-20 world Cup, that would put it at 13% of the year with youth players. Frankly, his role is not just as a YNT coach, but as the Youth National Director. That role is more than just play, squad selection and results and dues have an effect on development, especially at the younger age groups.

That said, I do agree that more development takes place at the club, especially at the U-20 level which Tab directly manages.

11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does tab hire the youth coaches or is that the federation?

12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He cut Mukwelle

Get over it

Tactical Hipster and TarHeels17 repped this.
  13. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sorry but you have some major insecurities as a writer and journalist, I honestly feel sorry for you.

14. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yes and as a country we are still not producing enough high level talent.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For how long?

16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed but it is growing. 15 years ago you basically had Bradenton. Those players and a few late bloomers made up the NATs. While it helped us outperform our talent level due to familiarity among the players, it did not produce more than around 20 or so prospects. We are now seeing a number of prospects both in MLS academies and others who go overseas. (compared to the old days where we had a handful in European academies and Bradenton. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the familiarity issue is more important than we have realized. It may be why other CONCACAF countries are giving us (and Mexico last time) such a hard time. Eventually if the talent level keeps increasing it will make up for that difficulty. It's even possible the way things seem to be going that the familiarity returns because so many young players are close to breaking out in the Bundesliga. The German style does seem to be one that with the American work ethic and athleticism one to emulate. With Pulisic, McKennie and hopefully soon Wright, Sargent, Tatague and others all playing in a similar environment near each other they could be the core.

18. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I thought you were Tab Ramos and if you're not I'll just correct something here. Investing in the various age groups was Klinsman's idea and not Tab's and if you're really the person I think you are then you're being very disingenuous. How many interviews has Tab had with MLS teams?

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Tab is the Youth TD and oversees these groups.

20. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's widely known that Jurgen pretty much stopped doing his technical director duties and Tab pretty much took over. Tab moving from YTD to TD was in name only as he pretty much had already absorbed the duties.

22. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a really weak cop out.

23. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I disagree, on numerous occasions he has brought Akale into these discussions out of the blue. Akale was never a part of the discussion, Tab was the discussion. If he doesn't like my opinion on Tab then state that but don't bring other youth players into the spotlight because he disagrees with my opinion. It's simply not fair to Akale. It's simply a low blow to the kid, if he wants to disagree with me or make fun of me which completely acceptable and understandable based on your personal opinion then do so.

If my full profession was a writer in the domain of soccer in this country I would hope that I was a little more comfortable with people challenging my opinion.

bsky22 and Starman* repped this.
  24. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or I’m just being a wiseass

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+