T&T at the World Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by ZeekLTK, Dec 10, 2005.

1. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Group B
    England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Sweden

T&T's Schedule:
    Matchday 1: vs Sweden
    Matchday 2: vs England
    Matchday 3: vs Paraguay

T&T has never lost to any of these teams before.

Granted, they haven't played England or Sweden before, but they have played Paraguay twice, back in March of 1989. They tied one game 1-1 and the other 2-2. Can they shock the world and earn enough results to reach the knockout round?

2. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    oh nooooooooooooooooooo what a hard group!

3. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They played Sweden and lost 0-5 :eek:

4. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Care to be more precise? :confused:

5. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol sorry if i confused you, I was saying T&T played Sweden once and Sweden won 5-0

6. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    I personally think this is as bad as it can get for the Soca Warriors.
    Why?

Because we're going to get creamed? nah (could happen but i'm not worried about it)
    Because the opponents aren't interesting? nah (even a Chilavertless Paraguay is a good opponent)

The problem is this: Trinidad and Tobago, a world cup newbie with what is likely to be one of the smallest player pools of all qualified teams is going to meet not one, not two, but three teams that have made the round of 16 in the last World Cup. Not only that, theirs is the ONLY group where there are more than two 2002 2nd rounders. And guess what, although Sweden didn't qualify in 1998, all three of these teams made the second round the last two times they've been to a World Cup.

This isn't Brazil's group or France's or Spain's. Granted, each of these three seeds more or less all three have their first place spot stuffed and garnished for them, but in every group, second place is a bit of a question mark.

Australia, as a newbie, can be happy with Croatia and Japan (without home advantage). Togo, in the same manner can be happy with South Korea (without home advantage) and Switzerland. Ukraine, likewise,can be glad to take on Saudi Arabia and Tunisia.

The only thing TandT can be glad about is that we may get the occasion to treat England as bad as Lara treated their bowlers the last two times he broke the World Record...An anglo Saxon France-Senegal could be nice, but I'm still only dreaming.

The other downside is that this group is damn tough, but it doesn't at all look like a Group of Death. The much touted Argentina's group (Holland, Ivory Coast, Serbia Montenegro), and the less touted (but imo more mortal group of Italy (Czech Republic, USA, Ghana). Which means that if Trinidad and Tobago sneak into the secound round, we'll not get all that much credit; if we lose badly, no one will say, well they were unlucky to be drawn into the group of death.

I mean, its not like if I care what people say, everyone already has very low expectations, even before the draw, but still...urggh

ps
    I wanted Brazil or France! (note well, not their groups...)

7. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    That I got :rolleyes: I meant when and where...? :confused:

8. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    T&T have never played Sweden.

9. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  10. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if they can match Jamaica and at least grab a win their supporters could be happy.

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish them well, but they'll be doing well to win a point. A tough group against three experienced teams.

12. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think T&T need to root for Paraguay to win their first two games. If Paraguay have clinched a spot in the 2nd round before the final matchday, they will most likely field a weaker team than usual giving T&T a great chance to pull the upset.

13. Desert_Eagle

Desert_Eagle Member

Oct 29, 2005
    U.S.A
    As much as i want for T&T to bring some points back to the trinidanians, i just dont see them getting any points in that group. I hope im wrong, but i think T&T should be happy to even be in the WC, they will be happy just to be on the 32 teams playing regardless of what they do. Is not like Guatemala or Panama would do any better than T&T.

just my opinion.

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Certainly not the group of death but if by some miracle you guys made the 2nd round, the world would most definitely notice... For one, if you made the second round it would mean at least one Euro team would be knocked out. #2 You guys are the smallest team (population size) at the World Cup, your story would be compareable to Denmark -- heck it already is...

If nothing else the young guys should use this as experience and for 2010 T&T could do some real damage in a non-Euro WC. Either way I'll be rooting for you guys!

15. Rednallaw

Rednallaw New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Sweden
    Seeing as I know next to nothing about T&T. What european team would you say you are about as good as?

16. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Well Fifa would say Serbia and Montenegro actually :D We're about the same point total as Finland, them, Belgium, Belarus and Scotland.

I wouldn't compare Trinidad to Belgium, no matter how badly they've fallen off, and I doubt we could give Spain the same trouble as Serbia did. That said, I kind of like the Finland, Belarus and Scotland comparisons.

In my opinion, Scotland (or Wales) may be the closest thing to us in terms of style and quality in Europe right now. That said, I've seen very little of either of these two teams recently.

I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, since a lot of British fans may remind me that we got thrashed by Scotland 4-1 in may of 2004.
    While acknowledging that fact, I want to point out that this was under Bertille St. Clair, a coach who in his second stint at the helm had after 38 games his biggest achievement being a 1-1 draw to South Korea in Korea. I also want them to look at the squad list for that game, and compare it to that against Mexico or Bahrain in the match we won.

Vs Scotland: Clayton Ince, Brent Sancho, Marvin Andrews, Ian Cox, Carlos Edwards (Denzil Theobald 90th) Stokely Mason, Angus Eve (capt) (Kerwyn Jemmott 81st) Arnold Dwarika (Jerren Nixon 74th), Kenwyne Jones (Marlon Rojas 46th), Stern John, Cornell Glenn (Andre Boucaud 28th).
    vs Mexico:

From the Mexico and Bahrain matches, are missing: Kelvin Jack, Dennis Lawrence, Avery John, Silvio Spann, Christopher Birchall, Dwight Yorke (capt), Aurtis Whitley, Russell Latapy,

Lawrence, Whitley, Birchall, Yorke and Latapy are 5 of the most important players on the Beenhakker 11, whereas Jack has been the number one keeper since he's on board.
    There's half of your first 11 thats changed right there....

17. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Your arguement about the 4-1 game that T&T might hold some weight if Scotland were actually at full strength for that game. Scotland were missing many top players in that game and had some players in that game who have hardly seen any international action since.

In that game Craig Gordon made his first international appearance in goals, Nigel Quashie, Jamie McAlister and Malky MacKay also got their first cap's in this game. Barry Ferguson, Gary Naysmith, Paul Hartley, Andy Webster, Christian Dailly, Shaun Maloney, Garry O'Conner, Derek Riordan, Graham Alexander, Lee McCulloch, Neil McCann and Scott Brown were all not playing that day. Gary Holt and Stevie Crawford were in the starting line-up that day but would get no-where near the Scotland squad now.

Scotland were terrible at the time they played T&T, this was the dark days with b*rti v*gts at manager. Our next game after the T&T game was a 3-0 defeat to Hungary. That was the quality of the SCotland side that beat T&T comfortably.

Kelvin Jack plays in the Scottish first division for Dundee, he would get no-where near the Scotland squad. Jason Scotland also plays in that division for St. Johnstone. Latapy has been great for Scottish football and i'm delighted he is going to a WC but he's not the player he once was and wouldn't get in the Scotland squad. Marvin Andrews may be a defender at Rangers but there at plenty of Scottish players playing regularly at Rangers and Celtic who wouldn't get in the Scotland starting line-up.

The rest of the T&T squad is full of players from Wrexham, Luton, Port Vale, Gillingham etc. Scotland have players at Premiership clubs who don't even get in the national squad, like Richard Hughes who has played about every game this season at Portsmouth, Paul Dickov who has 6 goals this season at Blackburn, Tommy Miller and Andy Gray at Sunderland, Gary Teale at Wigan. In the English Championship we have players like Nick Montgomery who is a regular at second place Sheff Utd, Murty who is the captain at leaders Reading and over 20 others regularly playing in the Championship. Most who don't get in the Scotland squad.

Scotland take their players from teams like Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic, Everton, Man Utd, Preston, Southampton, West Ham.

T&T take theirs from team like Wrexham, Luton, Port Vale, Gillingham, Falkirk, Dundee, St. Johnstone, Derby.

Scotland are a much better side than T&T, with much better players and with Walter Smith in charge we are a team on the up. T&T don't have a single player that would make the Scotland first team.

If comparing T&T to a European side i'd say a team like Northern Ireland. Certainly the N.I. players and T&T players play at a very similar level.

18. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Honestly, I have watched all of the teams you mentioned play and T&T is not on par with any of them. I watched T&T play 4 times during qualifying. Twice against Mexico and the US. You have a strong backline, but really have trouble getting things going in the midfield and up front. Here is a list of teams that you could probably compete with:

Bosnia-Herzegovina (Pot 4)
    Latvia (Pot 4)
    Estonia (Pot 5)
    Wales (Pot 5)
    Lithuania (Pot 5)
    Albania (Pot 5)
    Iceland (Pot 5)
    Pot 6 except for: Belarus, Northern Ireland, Macedonia and Georgia.
    All of pot 7

Now I am not saying you couldn't beat any of the teams I excluded but I think T&T could expect to beat the teams I listed consistently.

19. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    I'll take your word for it. In any case, Northern Ireland BEAT England not too long ago, if we play at that level in the World Cup, I'll be happy :D

I actually find it strange that you're applauding our back line. Most people consider it as our biggest weakness (our only shutouts came against Panama twice and the home match to Costa Rica, and the away match to Bahrain). Certainly when you see how our twin towers let the small Bahraini attacker head the ball in on the corner you're inclined to ask questions.

However, I wouldn't use the USA matches as fair comparisons. The first was under BSC with what was almost a completely different team, and the second we played almost all match with 10 men after Lawrence sacrificed himself following Andrews mistake.

And please specify that you're using the euro 2008 qualifying pots...and not the WCQ ones...thanks.

20. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Yes, sorry those are the Euro 2008 pots. :eek:

I was basing that comment on the USA matches and the Mexico match I saw when you played at Mexico.

You had them played well for most of the game. You were containing nicely just had trouble getting possession in the midfield. At halftime I was thinking to myself, "this would be huge if T&T holds Mexico in Mexico!" However, I spoke too soon and a Borghetti goal really knocked the wind out of you boys. The goal in the 88th minute really was of no use because I saw the game at 1-0, and whenever you hold Mexico 1-0 your defense played sensational.

Not to mention you guys have one hell of a keeper back there. He was foiling everything the US had when you played almost half the match with 10 men.

21. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    As will I :)

22. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    And you really think that Scotland is that much better than Trinidad and Tobago? :rolleyes:

Where is Scotland again? Better yet.... when was the last time you qualified for Euro championships let alone a WC? ;)

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies don't prove a lot. T&T did earn their way to Germany, so congratulations to them.

Getting there is a reasonable reward, but they drew a very difficult group.
    Getting a point would be a fantastic result!

24. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Italy, Norway, Holland, Germany, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, England - These teams are the reasons why Scotland have not qualified for 4 competitions in a row. Qualifying isn't easy in Europe ;)

I really do think Scotland are that much better than T&T, and with the dark days of B*rti V*gts behind us the future looks bright for Scottish football.

25. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998

Lets be fair I dont think Berti Vogts was sole problem. The lack of good international players coming out of Scottish clubs has to be addressed sometime soon. There needs some sort of rule that makes clubs start producing good young scottish lads. Clubs that keep buying cheap talents from Georgia and Kazakhstan do nothing to help Scottish football whatsoever.