Syria - The "Strength in Asia "

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Syriaman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    What do you guys think about Syrian football,and their strength in Asia ?

Remember:

Iran - Syria 0-0 :cool::D

2. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Syria is in developing progress. A Draw with Iran in Tehran is a good step in the qualifications, well Iran has their own problems, but we can't underrate Syria. You have good players like Firas Al-Khatib, Mahmoud Amna, Jihad Al-Hussain, Reja Rafe, Abdul-Qader Dakka..etc and so on.

btw, you were so close to qualify to the 1986 world cup. and also when I was editing the Arab Nations Cup (link) in Wikipeda, I realized that Syria was one of the favorites in the tournament. :)

I wish you the best. Good luck in the WC200 Qualifications :)

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I think Syria at this moment are the best nation in what i would call a second bracket for Asian Nations.

After the likes of Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc (you know the others) who have year after year been reprsented in Asia Cup and World Cup, i would stick Syria, as the nation that could break the mould.

Although not qualified for Asian Cup since 1996, i think they were unlucky not to go to 2007 Nations cup, and i feel all teams that qualify for 4th round of world cup qualifiers will want to miss playing Syria (assuming they qualify) in a group of death.

Certainly gaining momentum, and hope they continue to do well, both as a nation and Al Karama in Champions League.

I hope they can keep it going and have more young players come throught the ranks, rather than see this as a bit of a fluke (which i doubt) and fall by the wayside within a few years.

4. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    As an Iranian, I will be the first to say that Syria has definitely made a great deal of progress over the past couple of years. Congrats to you, and I hope you continue to improve.

I hate to bring up a point that has probably been argued countless times already, but I'm afraid many Syrian fans are looking at the recent match against Iran as an indicator of their "strength in Asia." I'm sorry to say, but I watched that entire match very closely and I was not especially impressed by the Syrian squad. As an avid Iranian fan, I can tell you that our team is in shambles right now, and we were completely lost during the Syria match. While Syria played to their potential and displayed a solid performance, they still failed to beat an Iranian team that displayed a performance that embarrassed Iranian fans around the world. If Iran had played one of Asia's strongest sides (you know the names), we would have been destroyed.

That having been said, it is my true and honest opinion (as someone who knows the Iranian team very well and has watched selective Syrian matches over the past couple of years) that at full strength and under normal circumstances Syria is still far from Iran's level (or that of S. Korea, Japan, KSA, and Australia).

Once again, I'd like to congratulate Syria for continuing to improve, but I really think it's too early in their development to speak of their "strength in Asia."

Just my honest opinion... :eek:

5. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Don't know much about Syria but if they are progressing, then that's good news for you guys.

Anyways, interms of my Asian football knowledge i would rate North Korea better than Syria. North Korea is the top team in my lists in the 2nd rated bracket teams in Asia.

6. golazo mvfc

golazo mvfc New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melbourne.
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In my opinion you are not very good at all.

7. Mounir

Mounir New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    I was very surprised when i saw the syria-iran match this is one of the best results they could hope for. Maybe they will top this group no one knows.
    But i know one thing, syria will become an force in asia until the world cup
    May allah be with you guys and me and my family will keep chearing for you guys.

8. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    I can understand you brother;),everyone is proud of his country.Both teams had many chances to score in Teheran,and both teams were lucky that the other team didn´t score a goal.
    Firas Al-Khatib was not in top form,because he didn´t play for one year in the national team,it was his comeback.He had some chances,but on his first day he couldn´t score.Iran´s and Syria´s goal keeper were very solid on this day.We said that we care much about this match in Teheran,we want to get a point,in the first match,that is important.And we got a point after a hard match against hard Iran .Fajer Ibrahim,our coach said:"I thought Iraq won the Asian Cup,they overtook Japan,Saudi-Arabia,and Iran,South Korea.So we can do certainly the same!"(Maybe not Asian Cup):D I hope at home against UAE we will win,inshaallah!

But brother,inshaallah your team will do it great,too.Remember our countries are friends!:)

Iran is a very good team!

9. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    Thanks brother!:)

10. The Älpha Male

The Älpha Male BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2006
    Syria's results against the top Asian teams in their last meetings have been impressive.
    0-0 against Iran in Iran (WCQ)
    1-1 against South Korea in South Korea (ACQ)
    1-1 against Saudi Arabia in Saudi Arabia (Friendly)

*I don't think they've ever met Australia and haven't played Japan recently.

Also a Syrian club finished runners up in the ACL 2 years ago. Syrian football is definetly on the rise. Not too long ago Iran beat Syria 7-1 (2004 I think) I never thought that in the near future Syria could give us much trouble but now Syria could very well finish atop of this group. One thing I'v noticed about Syria tho is that they play better away than at home. For example they tied Iran and Korea away in the last Asian Cup qualifires but lost 2-0 to Iran and 2-1 to Korea at home so they didn't qualify.
    Anyways I think they will make it to the next round along Iran, as Kuwait and UAE haven't been impressive lately, and who knows they might even finish as Asia's 5th team in the next round (the best ideal scenario they could hope for) and after beating Oceania's rep (I'm pretty confident they are better than NZ) make the WC in Africa!
    GL

11. Boudster

Boudster New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Dubai
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Drawing Iran in Azadi,very impressive and it gives Syria an advantage over Kuwait and UAE.
    Go Syria!!

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Syria can build on this. I remember 4 years ago, the last WC... everyone was talking about Jordan. They almost knocked out Japan in the quarterfinals of the Asian cup and then I think they even beat Iran in Tehran at this same stage of the tournament but faded badly later on and have declined badly since then. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Syria. Hopefully they can build on the success of their clubs in the champions league and not wind up like another Jordan.

13. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Back to the Syria national team subject.

Your dream may come true if you take the advantage of your home matches and use it well, I mean in the legal way of course. :D

14. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea

North Korea has surely improved a lot since 2006. The hottest young prospect of Asian forward right now IMO is a North Korean whose name is Jong Te Se. He recently shined at the East Asian Championship that invovled teams like Korea Republic, China and Japan. He scored two goals against Korea Republic and Japan respectively. He has only played like 5 times for the North Korea NT but scored 10 goals already! He's now playing for J-league's Kawasaki Frontale and he scored 15 goals last season.

North Korea NT also have some good players playing abroad in K-league, J-league and Russian league. Their young prospects also look good. The current U20 Asian Champion is actually North Korea. They won over Japan. So they have good up and coming players ready to play for the NT as well.

15. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    This is good news to hear, But what do you think of Syria? :)

16. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    I think Syria is currently sitting at 7th after Australia, Japan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China. :)

17. Iraqi69

Iraqi69 New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Mesopotamia
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    And pigs fly to...

18. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Whoops. I left out Iraq. Actually, Iraq is top 6. If they have more depths in their squad, they can easily compete against top 5. I highly rate this team. It's just that they haven't set up proper infrastructure like the strong Asian powerhouses. Once they start building on league structure, bringing in proper coaching staffs and setting up a proper youth system, they will be really good, trust me.

19. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    Guys,ya shabab,stop please,I haven´t opened this thread for discussing about private things,let us stay on topic.;)Thank you!:)

Thank you Mussav for your good posts!:)

20. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    Great post bro,good luck to Thailand!:)

21. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    Great posts of The Älpha Male and glennaldo,or should I say great posts of all of you!Thank you!:D

22. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    This is not acceptable.

Next off topic post and anyone else who responds or carries on, will get an infarction, followed by a card/ban.

23. Syriaman

Syriaman Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Stuttgart,Aleppo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    Thank you,for your great job!:)

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Please only praise him when our MODS have created the following:

• Sticky for AFC Champions League 2008
    • Sticky for AFC Cup 2008
    • Sticky for World Cup Qualifiers

25. Bay23

Bay23 New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Sydney
    Once Syrian players start playing in Europe and they can at least qualify for the Asian Cup and pose a threat in qualifying for the World Cup, then they can be a good team, but they're improving.