SYR - HBG - FL 3 Way Tie?

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by FifaMan328, Feb 21, 2017.

1. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Anyone (besides Lewis) have the Tiebreaker scenario ?

If FL and HBG split this weekend, and SYR wins both at home... also assuming Baltimore beats HBG 3/5 then all 3 teams would be 9-11.

I believe SYR holds the tie over HBG, FL over SYR and HBG over FL?

Goal Differential I assume and this would put SYR through ...

Ok Louis check your phone for the tiebreaker rules ...

2. UIWWildthing

UIWWildthing Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Here's the tiebreaker from the MASL website:

a) Head to head (if applicable)
    b) Head to head goal differential (if applicable)
    c) Head to head goals for (if applicable)
    d) Best winning percentage in division (if applicable)
    e) Division goal differential (if applicable)
    f) Division goals for (if applicable)
    g) Best winning percentage in conference (if applicable)
    h) Conference goal differential (if applicable)
    i) Conference goals for (if applicable)
    j) Coin Flip

3. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Thanks pal - guess I could have just read the MASL website.. not really used to doing that for Playoff info though :D

4. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is a three-way tie at 9-11, I believe Syracuse would go through by virtue of a better head-to-head record against the other tied teams. After the needed results to get to this tie, the head-to-head records would be as follows:

Syracuse 5-4
    Florida 4-4
    Harrisburg 4-5

5. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    http://www.maslsoccer.com/playoffs

This is what would happen in a three way tie at 9-11

• The Syracuse Silver Knights can clinch a playoff spot if Florida and Harrisburg split their games this weekend AND Syracuse beats Baltimore AND Florida AND Baltimore beats Harrisburg on March 5th (Syracuse would advance on goal differential)

6. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    FL can't make it ! Good Lord they would have 200 people there.. but AH would claim 3750

Cuse v Baltimore would be a 2-0 sweep by the Blast - sadly

Harrisburg v Baltimore would be the most competitive serious and obviously the most economical.
    Sad reality the Heat would have 500 if they are lucky..... and 300 would be from B-More

Pretty bad when you have months to sell your last 2 indoor games... which now have huge playoff implications, and it looks to be another 600 in attendance.

Is the Harrisburg economy really that bad off.. or people just don't give 2 shi** about indoor soccer up there anymore?

7. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I disagree. I've not actually been to a Tropics game to see it with my own two eyes, but they seem to be doing ok attendance wise.

They put in some good groundwork before the season and it's paid dividends

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never stopped you from insisting you knew what Storm attendance was back in the day.

9. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scenarios no longer matter since syracuse is out.. Any Harrisburg win or Tropics loss and Harrisburg is in the playoffs. Florida now needs to beat Harrisburg , Syracuse & Baltimore needs to beat Harrisburg or they are out Everything Favors the heat.

SteveCo repped this.
  10. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It was fairly simple for me to get that info.

I also know Peru exists even though I've never seen it with my own eyes.

11. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    When the Heat announced crowds of 7000-8000 back in the 90s, it seems that half of that were kids playing soccer with their friends on the concourse, they really weren't into the game. Those kids would be adults now and a bunch of 30 year old people playing soccer on the concourse would look a little silly.

Seriously though, the sport was in decline in Harrisburg before the demise of the original Heat. A game was a night out and little else. I just do not think people developed a strong emotional attachment to the team and it was hardly missed when it went away and largely unnoticed when it returned. The true soccer fans gravitated to the local outdoor teams such as (DC) United and, later, the Union as well as the City Islanders. If it were the economy, it would likely impact the Bears and the Senators as well, which doesn't seem to be the case.

SteveCo repped this.
  12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The Hershey Bears have been through famine, wars, economic collapse, jihad, October fest, recessions, dot Com booms, depressions, earthquakes, floods, meteor strikes and a host of other ups and downs.

To compare them to any indoor soccer team is unfair. While the Wave and the Blast have had a good run, the Hershey Bears have had season ticket owners born, raised and died during their years.

The economy might effect them but they are an institution compared to any indirect soccer team.

NSL2004, wlamar3, SteveCo and 1 other person repped this.
  13. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Very true, they are the oldest pro hockey franchise other than those who made up the NHL's original six.

14. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg
    The demise of the original Heat was caused by two factors. When the state decided to add onto the Farm Show Building Complex with the addition of the Weis Building. This was put between the parking lot and the arena, reducing the number of parking spaces readily available. They instituted busing from a distant parking area, with long waits for the buses. That could have been overcome eventually.
    What really did them in was during a string of sellout games, someone in their infinite wisdom decided to give away those stupid plastic horns. Every kid got one, and USED THEM. The two days later after complaints in the Fan Line (local newspaper thing), the Patriot News interviewed the then General Manager of the Heat, Gregg Cook. He said, it wasn't a very good idea looking back at it, (and here's the clincher), but, we couldn't very well hand them out and then tell them they couldn't use them. As soon as I read that, I knew he had alienated one hell of a lot of people, and it did. The attendance dropped into the 2000's for the next game and stayed there. I don't think they even got back to 4000 for any game after that. If Gregg, (who by the way is a really good guy), had stopped at, we didn't didn't think it through very well, I think it would have been fine. But, when he said, we couldn't tell them not to use them, well you just told your fans they don't matter.
    The final straw was Erich Geyer. He was obviously a good coach in his earlier go rounds in Monterrey. When he was hired by Harrisburg, he tossed out every player and brought in a whole batch of new players. The players that the fans were invested in were gone and there was no recognition on the part of the fans. The last remaining player from the original team was Bill Becher, who was quite popular with the fans. He was shipped off the St. Louis. Not a good way to rebuild your fan base.
    The current Heat team is heading in the right direction. Carl Delmont has put together an exciting team, while keeping some of the players from last year who showed leadership in the face of not a lot of talent. I think (off the top of my bald noggin) he kept 4 players (one of which was brought back from Ontario after a late season sale or loan). Now if only our local paper would get on board and support the team with some game articles, or interviews.

SteveCo repped this.
  15. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg
    Before anyone else says anything. I know there were three factors listed. I think if the first two factors hadn't happened, Richard Chinapoo would have probably still been coach, but that is conjecture at best.

SteveCo repped this.
  16. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Thanks for the additional insight. The expansion of the complex did make things a lot more inconvenient and that horn night would have probably turned me off as well had I still been a regular attendee at the time.

SteveCo repped this.