Sporting Kansas City II (formerly Swope Park Rangers) Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Blando13, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.

What is going on in soccer in the US? Everybody shooting themselves in the foot. My first take is that its not about money, but optics. USL is really trying to present itself a a big-time league, to fans, sponsors and investors, and doesn't want the final to be in an empty stadium. But waiting for the playoffs to start imposing some kind of stadium optics standard is, well, bush league. On top of that the lack of communication. Even the owner of Sac is tweeting how frustrated he is.

Any chance we forfeit? Any chance we stay home, and claim that Sacramento forfeited?

Which would look worse to sponsors: a poorly attended final, or one with a team that advanced via forfeit?

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    League announced the game will be played in Kansas City - at Children's Mercy Park, which goes for all potential subsequent playoff games this season as well - and apologized for the confusion.

No explanation as to what the "issue" at Children's Mercy Victory Field was or why the switch happened in the first place.

3. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Plan on going Saturday. Been starved for playoff soccer so might as well get to see one game. $10 ticket plus $3 fee via Sporting email discount offer.

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm out of town this weekend or else I'd probably go as well. If they keep winning and the weather doesn't get too obnoxious I'll try for the later rounds.

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done Rangers. On to the Western Conf Final.

6. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They played well. First time seeing them this year and I was impressed by their effort and play.

7. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    OKC upset San Antonio after PKs. SPR hosts Western Conference Finals at CMP on Saturday night, 7:30 pm start.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so i was at the game last night. thrilling shootout at the end. question though for anyone else who might have more info... what was the deal with zendejas after he won it? it looked like he started talking trash to the losing team and being an extremely unsportsmanlike sack of crap. he even got shunned by jimmy nielsen when he tried to shake his hand. jimmy shooed him away, and then clearly said something to him while pointing his finger.

anyone have any insight? did i completely misinterpret what i saw?

9. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really boring game until the shootout. Most of the game was played in the midfield and you can only watch a team knock it around the field for so long before you start wondering if the front line is ever going to take a shot. Wait...where have I seen that before?

10. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Has anyone verified this game is on ESPNU? My TV guide doesn’t show it and neither does the ESPN app.

Never mind, I was looking on the wrong day. All set for 11/13 at 8:00 pm.

11. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Tough loss on a late goal, especially after SPR played much better in the second half. Too bad the game was played on such crappy grass. What was up with that field?

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to the broadcast they'd just resodded the infield area.

13. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Is it just me, or is this the end of the Colton Storm development program?

Observation in the dying minutes: We earned a dangerous free kick. Looked like both Olivera and Hernandez wanted to take. One or two others approached and apparently made it clear that Hernandez was to take.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Storm returning depends on 2 thinks: 1) whether we keep SAS or not and 2) how ready Lindsey is to potentially play RB next season.

15. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Last night was really the most extended time I have watched SPR play, and I was a little shocked at how unimpressive they were. The field conditions looked bad, but the play was slow, sloppy, and uninventive for long stretches. For those more familiar with SPR, how typical of a performance was that?

Disappointing to see the reviews of Colton Storm. For a team that seems to rely heavily on draft picks playing for the first team, if he can't even pass the muster at SPR's level, that's pretty damning.

Further, since the whole point of SPR is to provide a path to the first team, I'm curious what % chance you'd assign to our players from last night in being significant contributors to SKC at some point. The number of players already in their mid-to-late 20's isn't encouraging.

Adrian Zendejas - GK - Age 22
    Parker Maher - DEF - Age 24
    Dakota Barnathan - DEF - Age 23
    Amer Didic - DEF - Age 22
    Colton Storm - DEF - Age 23
    James Musa - MF - Age 25
    Christian Duke - MF - Age 26
    Kevin Oliveira - MF - Age 21
    Lebo Moloto - MF - Age 27
    Kharlton Belmar - FW - Age 24
    Nansel Selbol - FW - Age 20
    Felipe Hernandez - MF - Age 19
    Max Rugova - MF - Age 17

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn’t typical of SPR from the games I’ve seen, they’re usually more fluid, I put that down to the field combined with the way Louisville played.

As for ‘significant’ contributors, Zendejas and Hernandez are probably the highest followed by Rugova and Kuzain (who was on the bench) Musa may be fine depth, same with Belmar, anyone else over 24 probably not. Selbol, Oliveira, and Storm could contribute but the level of where is the question.

Blando13 repped this.
  17. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair regarding ages ... this team is only 2 years old. They're getting more an more guys straight out of the academy that are starting to play more minutes and ideally that allows them to be younger and younger (as a group) each year.

From the list above, Zendejas, Didic, Oliveira, Selbol, Hernandez, Rugova ... with Kuzain, Little and Lindsay will all be 23 or under next year and should make up the bulk of the team (although Didic and Zendejas may be rostered by SKC more than SPR). If Musa and Storm are not on SKC I don't see him back with SPR next year. I also think/hope Moloto, Maher, Barnathan, Ballo, Doyle, are replaced by younger players. We may take a step back at some point, but I think we will gradually get younger. We'll likely always keep a kid like Duke around to be the "mentor" of sorts and to be the player on the field that keeps the training intensity up.

We have picks 13, 18 and 36 in the MLS Draft and I hope some of those are players that can replace some of the existing older player on the team (Musa, Moloto, Maher, Barnathan, etc). I'll be shocked if SKC drafts someone that can play above the SPR level again this year at least to start the season.

Not sure what players in the Academy (or college) that would be close to signing (ala Kuzain/Hernandez), but possibly Enzugusi/Wilkinson/Bromstedt out of college. The U18 Academy team is doing VERY well right now so that's promising. We could also see some Busio on the field next year (likely in the summer).

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College senior academy players to look at may be Matthew Lewis (Fordham) was A-10 defensive player of the year, and Zach Wright (UNC)

Blando13 repped this.
  19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Popovic and SPR agree to mutual contract termination

20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And the new SPR coach is...

Paulo Nagamura.

21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nashvillesc.com/news_article/show/862374?referrer_id=2995052

Moloto's option being picked up didn't last long. I'm guessing "future considerations" will be Nashville SC won't take a SKC player the expansion draft when they become an MLS team (or they'll take one with the first pick and immediately trade them back to SKC for a high five).

Moloto leaving likely makes the roster younger. Seems like Naga intends to use the Academy more than the past couple of years? I'm guessing it could be a drop in competitiveness in the short term.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, based on Paulo’s comments, he (or According to PV’s request) is going to play more kids.