Swope Park Rangers 2016 Season

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kcfooty, Jul 13, 2015.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is the location of the final dependent upon the winner of the eastern conference or is it in a neutral location?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    winner of the East.

kcscsupporter repped this.
  3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought they changed that to a bid due to USL fear of RBNY2 hosting with 500 people in stands for ESPN2 broadcast

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they?

And it's ESPNU that has the game, not ESPN2.

Blando13 repped this.
  5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep, I recall that as well.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB2 announcers say that if they win...they will host. We are headed into extra time.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ualefi tore his ACL, second SPR player to tear his ACL in training this year (plus Rubio doing it in training for SKC)

8. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  9. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that's what's his name that is always bashing MLS/USL? I bet I could find 'worse' defense on YouTube from the mythical Europe or South America that he likes to praise...

11. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of what Twitter wants to say about that match last night, I am very proud of the way this team even got themselves in this position. NYRB2 were the best team in the league all year and to be within 1 goal until about 5-10 mins to play was encouraging. This may be the first time I can remember a team all season that pressed the Rangers like NY did. You have to remember the average age of the Rangers is very young and even though it is a loss, it will be a good learning experience for these guys. I'm looking forward to what they can build on going forward and to see who will be the manager going forward.

Blando13 repped this.
  12. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there is worse defending out there, I just wish that the Rangers would have let that ball go out instead of trying to keep it in. I have no words to describe what was going on.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Grant not letting that ball just go out to end that pressure is one of about 30 questions I have about that play.

14. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't but help wonder how different it might have been had we had Ulafeli & Oliveria in the midfield instead of Duke and Appiah. I think Duke might have been the Right Back over Grant in that scenario as well.

Don't get me wrong, NYRB2 was more talented and have a large group of exciting young players ... but I'd like to see us closer to full strength.

15. BigLarr

BigLarr Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was a fun season. They always left it all on the field which is much to be proud of. Looking forward to 2017.

16. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep, he's the one. And like usual, he doesn't seem to understand basic elements of the US soccer structure. "Something called the USL cup final..."

The D was pretty bad on goal #3 to be fair.

17. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really broke my heart to see the game end the way it did. With the way the Rangers got to the USL Championship this season, there should have been a better end to the season even if it was a loss. Lots of credit goes to a really talented RB2 team and the Rangers for giving it their all.

18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, echo those sentiments. SPR had a good season, but you could tell that RB2 team was flat out the class of the league.

19. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article/71136/usl-president-jake-edwards-on-division-ii-expansi.html

Looks like USL is going to require MLS2 teams to play in a 5000+ venue, meaning the 3557 at Swope Park Village is a little light. I'd assume they'd be ok getting some more bleachers vs doing what Portland is going to do an move the teams games to the MLS venue.

USL getting pretty serious about the D2 application. Strong teams coming in, smaller markets being asked to leave (Wilmington ... maybe Harrisburg?). New ownership groups replacing the ones with smaller bank accounts. I enjoy SPR so I hope they continue to bring in talent and play at a high level!

20. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Other than US Open Cup seeding, what does D2 give them?

21. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some people thing that sponsorship dollars and potentially TV revenue will come with D2. It hasn't really been there with the current D2 (NASL) but that could be NASL league management than anything. NASL does have some decent TV coverage but I don't see huge sponsor dollars.

For the most part, you're right ... there's not much difference between D2 and D3 designation from the USSF.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blando13 repped this.
  23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paulo Nagamura to be a new SPR assistant coach. Welcome aboard, Nags!

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/736006?referral=rss&referrer_id=2364194
    I think this could be an interesting signing. A good replacement for Pasher (Signed with SKC) & Kelly (Signed with Reno).

I am really anxious about Ayrton and Ualefi though. I really want to see both of those guys come back. Other players that are still unsigned I'm not as worried about. Those two I thought had SKC potential (along with the resigned Oliveria).

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://t.co/Q53rlsUaGn

Swope signed 2 of the kids that were on academy contracts last season to USL contracts