Swope Park Rangers 2016 Season

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kcfooty, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver Whitecaps 2 beat OKC Energy. Would travel to Swope if we win tomorrow. With RBNY2 winning. Chances improving that those teams caring more about developing than trophies might win a trophy.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: SPR 2-1 OC. #SPRvOC THE NINE-MAN RANGERS ADVANCE TO THE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SPR are one of three MLS "2" teams in the 2 conference finals, Louisville is the only "independent" team left.

SPR host Vancouver 2 next weekend. They'll have to do it without their 2 starting outside backs with Alvarado and Meyer picking up red cards. Also from people that were there I wouldn't expect Ualefi back either (was apparently in a boot and on crutches). So probably Duke to outside back, Granitto into the midfield for Duke, Pasher or Grant at the other outside back, Kelly into the starting 11 if you drop Pasher back to the other outside back position, if not maybe rotate Gonzalez for Kelly up top.

kcfooty and Blando13 repped this.
  4. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there and it was a great game. Can't give the guys enough credit for playing from about the 70th minute though two extra time periods 9 v 11 and winning with a short handed goal. I don't know how Dos Santos will juggle the line-up, but he needs to come up with something creative because, if I'm not mistaken, SPR has lost to V2 twice this season, each time by one goal. It is going to hurt without Myer and Alverado. But, Johnny Grant looked really good for the time he was in and almost got an assist with a great run and pinpoint cross through the box. Granitto also did well on defense in the middle so both would probably do well if they got to start. I really liked Ballo. The guy is fast, strong, positions himself well, and is not afraid to dribble past defenders. Good addition to the club.

Blando13 and kcscsupporter repped this.
  5. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Any thoughts on Pasher and Gonzalez?

I think Pasher should get a shot with the 1st team, I can't say the same for Gonzalez...

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pasher's been called up to the first team to play in the CCL, I guess his availability for next week's game against Central may be dependent on SPR's playoff run. I thought he's played well, him and Tyrpak give something that the first team has sorely missed on the wing this season, and that's some actual pace. I'd like to see Pasher at least start preseason with SKC.

As for Gonzalez, I can't fully discount 12 goals across all competitions, I'm not sure he has the ability to transition it to the next level, but as an end of the bench guy I could see him at least getting some time with the first team in preseason next year.

The other thing that I think SKC may need to watch for is MDS poaching a few players for the Deltas.

CANPRO repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It might be a problem, but SKC can deal with this. USL money does not a decent life provide in San Francisco, and that includes surroundings. For a minor league contract player, KC has a nice advantage in this. SPR players also have access to SKC.
    Not saying he won't steal a player or two, but we should be in a position to keep those we really want.

8. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pasher has played well for the Rangers and has a lot of good qualities, e.g., quickness, tenacity, good positioning. I think he could have a shot at the MLS level. Gonzalez is a smart player and moves well, can be a poacher and he plays decent defense when off the ball but I don't know if he has the speed or quickness to jump to the MLS.
    As an aside, I think guys like Gonzalez, Pasher and Tyrpak do well under the Dos Santos version of the 4-3-3 because the Rangers run a much more opportunistic offensive attack. They constantly make quick counterattacking runs catching the defense out of position, as opposed to the PV version which likes to wait until the entire opposing defense gets into their defensive third.

9. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very interested to see if Ballo/Didic could make the transition to MLS CB's. I would not be at all disappointed if they entered SKC's preseason as the #4 and 5 CB's ... possibly even #3 and 4. Both have shown well (especially together) that they can keep clean sheets. It's obviously a step up in competition, but I'd like to see them. They seem to have the size and ball skills to make it.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see a player like Dane Kelley or Tommy Meyer make the move. One of the GK's as well. All depends on the relationship.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think this'll be an interesting offseason with regards to Besler. Almost a reverse Feilhaber. Keeps playing for the MNT, can't get on the field for SKC.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't go as high as 3-4 for those two, Didic didn't look great against Vancouver in the CCL, if they're 3-4 on the depth chart I think we have center back issues.

Blando13 repped this.
  13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Kempin's absence is the writing on the wall for him, I think Zendejas comes in as the 3rd GK next year

14. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's completely fair. I just think they've proven themselves very well at the USL level and while they still may play there ... wouldn't be surprised if they are worked into the SKC gameday rosters. Can't remember who Didic was playing next to in that game either or if that would make a difference.

15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep ... agree. But if Kempin isn't playing for MDS ... would MDS take him to SF? That's why I didn't mention him specifically. I could see Kempin getting picked up to be the 3rd keeper in Minnesota or somewhere that loses a GKer in the expansion draft (I think GK is a place those teams will look to find a starter/high level backup.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if one or both start preseason with SKC. Let's start there and see what happens before saying they're gonna be the first CB off the bench

Blando13 repped this.
  17. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see quit a few of the SPR players in preseason ... Didic, Ballo, Pasher, Trypak, Ayrton, Zendejas, and Oliveria/Ualefi (pending health). And SKC always brings a few Academy players in for camp and the ones on the SPR roster would be first choice I'd imagine.

Will be very interesting to see how the rosters of both look going into next season. I don't mind having 2 rosters to look/judge/discuss!

18. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe on Tommy Myer...but I think the USL is perfect for Kelly. He has speed and can shoot, but in my opinion, he has too many drawbacks to be successful in the MLS. First, he is a lazy player. He offers little to no defensive pressure and is usually just walking around waiting for someone to kick him a long ball. Second, he gets knocked off the ball fairly easily. The substitute center back for OC Blues was having his way with him most of the game yesterday. Third, his ball skills are a bit suspect. He tripped and fumbled away the ball a number of times. I think MLS defenders would feast on the guy. Give him the ball on the dead run, one on one with a defender and he creates his best chances. He scored on just that kind of play yesterday, but to tell the truth, it was dreadful goalkeeping. I believe that any MLS goalkeeper would have easily stopped that shot.

19. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I think MLS B teams won't keep him around for long. He'll either go back to a USL independent or go to NASL (which is why I said he could follow MDS). He was smart to take his shot to impressing an MLS club by training/playing with their reserves, but for the reasons you said ... that's likely a 1 year "trial" sort of experience IMO.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meyer's season is over, he received a 6 game suspension, 3 for the studs to the groin, and another 3 for touching the assistant referee.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I haven't seen any highlights or lowlights. But studs to the groin and touching an official are both inexcusable.

Blando13 repped this.
  22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw the incident through the highlights which was on the other side of the field, from that angle it looked like it was a tangle of legs and as Meyer tried to step over him the guy rolled and it was inadvertent, but again it was only 1 angle so I could be way off if there's another angle.

Can't excuse the touching of the official.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The highlights are on the USL website.

Can't say much for the level of play or the goalkeeping. I always figured the upper end of the USL was on par with the NASL. Not so sure now. Both are way behind MLS.

They didn't show the assistant referee touching, but it definitely looked like he stepped down while moving over the player. I can't say for sure he stomped on the player, but it is definitely believable from the angle they showed.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 Rangers, they're into the final. Makes Wednesday's CCL game interesting, do you call up Didic, Pasher, and Tyrpak again? Or just run out the lower end of the SKC roster?

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    MDS gets 2 different teams in the final of two different leagues in back to back years (Nasl, USL)