Sporting Kansas City II (formerly Swope Park Rangers) Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Blando13, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think any of those "kids" may be guys in college getting contracts? Enzugusi, Wilkenson, Bromstedt, Tekesky? Just curious. I'll be interested in watching a Wan Kamal/Hernandez/Busio midfield with Selbol/Little out wide, Lindsay playing on the back line. We may not be as good in the current USL D2 ... but it will truly be about development.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s possible, more likely it’d be kids that are just finishing their college careers Zach Wright and Matthew Lewis. Maybe Rugova as well.

Blando13 repped this.
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you can cross Rugova off the list, sounds like he's going to try Europe.

945049050528862208 is not a valid tweet id

4. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. That one stings!

5. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Wow. Something is not working right. Either that or he's aiming for an HG contract, which I imagine would be much more lucrative.

If he just doesn't want to continue with the organization, that's deeply concerning.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rangers land at Shawnee Mission South for the 2018 season.

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait .... what? spr is playing at a high school stadium this year?

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, Swope doesn’t meet D2 USL standards. And the likely cost of opening CMP for SPR was more cost prohibitive than renting Shawnee Mission South.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wonder what the cost would have been to upgrade swope park to usl standards.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    potentially a "waste" of money if the long term plan is to move SPR (and other MLS2 teams) from USLD2 to USLD3 in the near future. Swope meets the D3 standards.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, whatever the reasoning, this is a disappointing bit of news. i gave up my season tix to skc this year, and was planning on going to some spr games to pick up the slack. i guess i won't be going to any now. this move doubles the distance i'd have to drive, making it not worth it for me.

12. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't really see any reason to keep remaking this thread every year, so I just renamed the title and we'll continue using this one.

Blando13 repped this.
  13. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opener in Reno this Saturday. I think there are some obvious things to read into the last preseason game vs UMKC. There are I believe 15 players on the roster, so loans (from either SKC or Academy) will be necessary.

Obvious loans from SKC being Lewis, Smith, Busio, Dick (all who played against UMKC).

Other players that played vs UMKC are Storm, Belmar, Didic, and Rubio. I think they're less likely loans but still possible. They played likely because they were not in the 18 in Chicago and didn't travel with the team, so why not. That doesn't mean they'll travel with Swope to Reno.

There was one name I didn't recognize that played against UMKC, JP Monticelli. Could be a trailist? I also wonder what happened to the 2 4th round SKC draft picks ... haven't heard from them so I assume they didn't even perform well enough in the 1st part of preseason to warrant a SPR contract, which says something about the draft.

Will be interesting to see how they handle Lindsay. Will he continue to make the 18 for SKC but not see playing time or will he get loaned to SPR to get playing time.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expect either Storm or Lindsey to be on loan (Storm based on the first two SKC games).

As for JP Monticelli, that's Juan Pablo Monticelli he's played in a couple of SPR's preseason games. From Googling, he's a former FC Dallas academy player.

Blando13 repped this.
  15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather them treat Storm/Lindsey like Dykstra/Zendejas and let Lindsey start for SPR and if Zusi gets hurt, you call him up (although Dykstra did get the starts to end the year last year).

16. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn’t all SKC last night as the Rangers pulled off a stoppage time winner in a snow storm in Reno. Nags gets his first win as the manager.

Blando13 repped this.
  17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Watching Belmar only in highlights and SKC preseason, he looks like a player, but he seems to be stationed on the left, while occassionally moving over the right. Is this correct?
    The wide spots would seem to present, at least in the short term, next couple years, perhaps the most difficult paths to the first team in the system. The backups include Gerso and Croizet after all.
    Has he been tried at the center? Can he play that? If not, should we be moving him on. Right now Minnesota has a wing need.
    He's great for SPR, spectacular, but what's his value to SKC at this point?

Sachsen repped this.
  18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team in USL that might be interested is Nashville SC. They're not scoring a ton of goals and have SKC connections. With a look towards their future I'd think they'd be interested. But he's amazing insurance. If Russell or Salloi are gone for international reasons and someone else is injured ... I'd rather have Belmar on the wing right now than Croizet for sure (and I am fine with Croizet in the midfield, and don't hate him like some others do).

mschofield repped this.
  19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Russell and Salloi are gone at the same time is an emergency situation. It's not a path to the first team for Belmar I think Belmar looks like a player. But if he can't work into a 9, and he should be played there a lot to see if he can because he is a player, I can't see him staying happy with SKC for very long without a clear path to the first team. Right now, I don't see a clear path to the first team for him beyond situations such as what you've outlined. Meanwhile, those options have signed new deals. Maybe Gerso will be let go after this season, and Belmar would have a shot at that late game sub role? Is that what we can hold out for him right now?

20. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I haven't been following SPR too closely (I catch a few games on ESPN+), but what happened to the deal at Shawnee Mission South? It looks like the remaining home games are at CMP.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first game against Seattle was played there, that was the only game. The next home game against OKC was postponed and eventually it was announced that all game would be at CMP. No word was ever officially stated for the move but take your pick of permanent football lines, turf, lack of alcohol sales, it being a high school stadium, ability to provide adequate broadcast for ESPN+, etc.

22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor just hit Reddit that SPR would drop to D3 and Des Moines Menace would take their place. While it's far from reliable (probably borderlines on "don't repeat it because of how unreliable it is") it's interesting and I wouldn't be all that surprised. SKC would get to move them back to Swope Park and possibly send a coach to Des Moines Menace and use that as a place to loan some players too good for D3 but not quit MLS ready. SPR would get "younger" a bit I assume. Former SKC coach John Pascarella was the Head Coach for the Menace in 2017. I'd be ok with this if SPR got younger (offloading anyone older than 22 or so). And we possibly sent 2-3 players to Des Moines that were "tweeners" so to speak, like Didic, Smith, Barry, etc.

23. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, that would disappoint me. I’m really happy with how successful SPR has been, both in terms of winning and developing players. In my eyes the team is supposed to bridge the gap between academy and first team, and I like the mix of youngsters and vets we’ve put together.

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that for the most part, but I'm not sure giving D2 minutes to guys like Chase Minter and Tyler Blackwood (or Hadji Barry for that matter) is more important than giving those minutes to guys like Camilo Benitez and Will Little and newly signed Wilson Harris while in D3. I don't know which is better.

If you had someone in Des Moines you could trust to loan players in that 20-22 range that are "too good" for D3 and not quit good enough for MLS ... I don't see a huge problem. Maybe Jimmy Neilson gets the Des Moines job or something.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If USL didn’t like SMS, why would they like Valley HS (where the Menace play)?