Sporting Kansas City II (formerly Swope Park Rangers) Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Blando13, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I just think that if, by chance, we do get newcomers to the forum wanting to read about SPR, a 2017 season thread is more inviting than a big 12-page "catch-all" thread.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Newcomers?

vividox repped this.
  3. dagopop

dagopop Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a real shame more people didn't turn out for the Rangers game vs Portland last night. The weather was perfect (no rain) and the game was very entertaining. Last year's Western division champs deserve more support than having less than 150 people in the stands.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No rain, but the threat of storms was there which probably scared people off. I had soccer practice indoors to coach, midweek games are always tough, especially so for a "second" team.

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    2017 posts split into new thread. Please remember to thank your moderators. :p

Sachsen and Formulaic repped this.
  6. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I fully expected this team to struggle mightily during the first half of the season, what with 10 or so teenagers. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Hernandez and Rugova look like impact players at this level. Wan Kuzain is tidy on the ball.

Selbol is explosive as heck, but his decision making is just dreadful.

7. dagopop

dagopop Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I figured the storms in the area probably scared a lot of people off and mid week games are tough even for MLS clubs. But, with USL streaming the game, I can understand some people not coming out. Just thought there would be more than 125 or so people there.

8. dagopop

dagopop Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we definitely got the better deal with the exchange of last year's players. Tomas Granitto, who played for SPR last year, now playing for Portland didn't have much of an impact on the game. But, Kharlton Belmar, who played for Portland last year, scored the winning goal and was giving Portland fits all game long.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't watch the game, how did the loanees do? EPB look good? How's Storm looking?

10. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB had a coupe of bain farts early on and then took a knock and went off at the half. Not too bad otherwise. Storm looked very confident, moved well, and made some good passes. He was in and around the box a couple of times and could have shot, but passed off both times. He kind of reminds me of a right footed Sinovic.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What is it now, almost half of the clubs in MLS have teenagers in their regular rotations. I believe that after the success he had in Portugal, this is a use him or lose him year for SKC and EPB. The fact that he is stumbling through SPR games right now is disappointing. I put it entirely down to leaving for the U's.
    Quite hopeful he gets fully healthy and into gear soon, and plays well for SPR and then gets games with SKC.

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Storm was tearing it up for SPR tonight. Every highlight included him making some incisive passes as well as the assist on the 2nd goal. Very promising.

14. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched him carefully last night at the game. He did some good stuff and his assist on the 2nd goal was a thing of beauty. However, he is still a work in progress. What the highlights didn't show is some of the bad passes and coverage mistakes that led to give-aways. I thought Pasher overall did a much better job on the left side. The best defensive plays of the night came from both Palmer-Brown and Didic. Granted, Vancouver did not have a very potent offense, but those two guys dominated the back line.

Sachsen repped this.
  15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://newsok.com/article/5558393

Does this make a move to Omaha more likely? I think so. Ideally, I'd love for our "mysterious" U23 team to join the PDL as the Swope Park Rangers to keep that name alive.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not from what I've heard, no it doesn't make an move more likely.

17. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to elaborate on "what you've heard"? Lot of directions to go from there ... was it already "likely" to happen? Is a move to D3 more likely? Is another market "more likely"?

If USL gives the MLS2 teams a choice of D3 or different market, what do you think (or have you heard) is SKC's likely path forward. Or is this entire article a fabrication (#fakenews)?

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just my understanding and the way the team is run they don't want it in another market.

19. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't blame them for that ... it seems to be working well from a player development standpoint. I wouldn't mind going D3 and letting players like Little, Lindsay, Kuzain, Hernandez get more time ... instead of players like Musa, Doyle, Moloto get time. And then when players like Didic, Pasher and Oliveria outgrow D3 ... you loan them out to D2 on an individual basis prior to getting MLS minutes.

20. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    In terms of development and getting minutes for fringe players, they have to be happy with the operational side. i'm sure they would prefer to get 3000 to games, but considering that they basically paid nothing for the stadium, the threshold for profitability has got to be lower than locating the team in another city and building or renting a stadium. I doubt there is much that USL can legally do as they paid their way into the league.

If we start developing big-name prospects, and people become more in tune to the talent pipeline, it could start to draw more.

Imagine if we had signed Sargent, and then sold him for millions to a big Euro club, before he really broke in with SKC. Something like that nearly happened with EPB. I get the sense that people will eventually start to pay more attention.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Swope Park beat Phoenix on Sunday after their game Saturday was halted at half time due to weather. With Sacramento unsettling 1 see Real Monarchs, SPR was scheduled to host. The USL and Sacramento have both come out with announcements that the game was moved to Sacramento due to ‘challenges’ with SPR’s field. SPR was apparently caught by surprise about this and have since come out with an announcement of their own saying that they are hosting