Sweeping changes to US Soccer? What would you do?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CyphaPSU, Oct 10, 2017.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    This sums up my issues with crazy people with their terrible ideas. You say they can compare to germany...because the numbers are close...but YOU DON'T KNOW THE NUMBERS. the numbers are not close, the us is much bigger and much more diverse and its not close. if they were close...yes it would be comparable lol.

2. LankyA

LankyA New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 19, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA: 3.9m
    - Boys: 2.3
    - Girls: 1.5m
    Germany: 2.1m
    - Boys: 1.8m
    - Girls: 237k

When you take into account the fact that we are really having a conversation at the moment about the men's game, I'd say they're pretty similar.

3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    crazy question...thats a number for what exactly? and and are these numbers located in the same geographical area or is the US 28 times bigger?

that is the number registered with us soccer? so just taking that...30% more spread over 28 times the area...and lets be honest that number isn't even close to the number of people that actually play soccer in the us.

so I repeat the us and germany are very different.

4. LankyA

LankyA New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 19, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I feel like you should have been able to infer that that is the number of registered youth soccer players in the United States?

Then I would have assumed you could then extrapolate that dividing the USA into regions with coaching education centers is a way to solve your issue of geographic size.

Additionally, are you implying we cannot take other ideas/look what is successful in other countries because USA is incomparable to any other countries? Are you for real? And I'm a crazy person because my wish is to improve the quality of coaching in the country? A New Fan indeed.

5. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    No the problem is despite ur sarcasm there isn't an idea in there.

regional centers...great idea who runs them? who funds them? how much interest is there really for coaching degrees in each of those regions. its a good general idea..like I said weeks ago. The issue is the details and that is what is most important. you say things then complain about the details like its mean to ask.

how many regional centers? how much interest is there in each 'region'? I mean you have no idea how much interest their is when you compare california to nebraska or ohio to south carolina. you also say things like...there are enough people to teach the classes....uh no there aren't that is the problem.

6. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF funded at first, they've got the cash. Couple that with sponserships, tax breaks from cities who want them jobs. Partnerships with MLS teams, local ad dollars, and Id say youd get some donations to fund. It wouldn't cost them nearly as much as it could theoretically bring in. Might even make those obscene ticket prices make sense.

Youth tournaments against other regions that are televised in local markets, or on a premium US Soccer network. Bring in international Youth teams to play, even affiliate to get into the open cup at the older ages. So many things that could be done off of it.

As far as who runs them, you have open job postings. Could be local guys, could be internationals. The goal though would be the first x to come through the coaching and scouting program would them fill a permanent job in another location or at the one they trained at. Developing permanent positions for guys would allow coaches to take full time positions. Right now most coaches have full time jobs too. Whether it be at the school or elsewhere.

As far as interest in an area, even in rural areas you have high school and rec leagues. There would definitely be enough no matter where the put them. But you could start with 7. A Midwest regional office(Chicago), a southern regional office(Atlanta), a plains regional office(Colorado),an eastern regional office(New York), a southwest regional office(Texas) and a western regional office(California or Oregon).

Goal would be to expand as needed into other areas if financially sound. Would have to know more specifics of the USSF structure to go into much more detail.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

tax breaks? them jobs? ummm you realize we are talking about a few people not thousands of jobs lol that is too funny.

can't get mls teams in invest in youth/scouting..you think they'll invest in coaching?

ussf...has cash but the day you end pay for play ussf will bleed cash so need to prepare for that.

I am a firm believer that coaching/scouting is the issue but its just not a simple answer and its going to take a long time. I don't hate any of ur ideas but you can't just jump in all at once.

8. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think pay to play is as big as we try to make it. The problem is the only coaches with sufficient knowledge except full time travel team jobs, and that means parents absorb that cost.

If we train more effective coaches, you will still have those who pay for club soccer. And you will have parents of people who can't afford it getting their kids properly coached. Sure, some of the profit will go down but not much. Parents like the prestige of aau and high rolling travel teams.

As far as the tax breaks go, a small town would jump at the chance to offer breaks to get them to come there. There is a call center in Florida that was given 4.5 million in tax relief for creating 400 jobs. It happens every day. With custodians, trainers, coaches, and various support jobs, I could easily envision 2.5 million some towns would be willing to give up.

Of course everything changes when you have access to all the information the USSF has. But those are some examples of specifics that were asked for.

9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    we are talking like 5 jobs..not 400 hundred. so yeah ur probably right 2.5 mill for for like 5 but more like 2 part time jobs.

all you would need are the 2/3/4 teachers that would need a place to hold classes a few weekends a year.

there wouldn't be a reason or a need for a full time like staff there the classes aren't every day or even every weekend.

10. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All but what?

Here is the 1950 roster.

Bob Annis (St. Louis)
    Walter Bahr (Philadelphia)
    Frank Borghi (St. Louis)
    Charlie Colombo (St. Louis)
    Bob Craddock (Pittsburgh)
    Nick DiOrio (Pittsburgh)
    Joe Gaetjens (New York, really from Haiti)
    Gino Gardassanich (Chicago)
    Harry Keough (St. Louis)
    Joe Maca (New York, really from Belgium)
    Ed McIlvenny (Philadelphia, really from Scotland)
    Gino Pariani (St. Louis)
    Ed Souza (Fall River, Mass.)
    John Souza (Fall River, Mass.)
    Frank Wallace (St Louis)
    Adam Wolanin (Chicago)

Lots of players from St. Louis there, but nowhere near "all but one". Of the 11 who played in the upset over England, five were from St. Louis.

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'd put outdoor futsal courts everywhere there is a basketball court. Same surface, just with metal goals built in, rather than basketball goals. The USSF should be pushing this. Why is it that with just about every city park that is built, there is a basketball court, and not a futsal court? I bet that the number of kids playing organized soccer is about the same as basketball.

And, I'd emphasize play (as in goofing around, having fun) for club soccer at young ages. You hear of sooooo many kids that get burned out on the sport. Let the kids - up to, like age 11 - have fun at club practices. Just make it about games. Play small sided games and let them chose sides.

12. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Just one observation when comparing youth numbers enlisted: every person enlisted in Germany is doing it seriously - that is, they play not because it is a pass time, or entertainment, but because they see it as a valid career opportunity. Surely, most will not be good enough, but when in Europe parents sign you up for sport, this is mainly with intent of you actually having it as your career later.

In Europe, if I want to play for entertainment, I do not need to sign up anywhere - I just go outside my tower block apartment, and there are 20 kids of my age willing to play.

In the US, well, they are registered, because if they weren't, they will not meet anyone to play at all, but the play is just that. It is not registration for a career.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's the Game of Life scenario.

In the GoL, you set free "robots" (short programs) that need to interact with other robots in order to thrive (survive+breed).

For that, you have several initial variables, two of those being number of robots and size of the universe.

If you have 50 robots in a 50x50 grid, they'll do fine. But 50 robots in a 200x200 grid will get lost, most of them will starve before finding another.

That's the difference between USA & Germany.