Sweden vs. USA 9/14/2007

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by trance-x, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Jingle Bells
    Jingle Bells
    Jingle all the way
    Oh what fun it is to win against the Swedes today!

2. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW

thats sooo wrong:D

3. Americanfootballer

Americanfootballer New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Wow what alot of manure this game was. The ESPN commentators were annoying again i take it?

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The past 2 hours were my sleep for the day.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and yet, we all laughed.

6. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW

I stand by what I said earlier since the NK/US game that US was simply not playing their game. Today they showed what they can do agaist one of the best teams in the world behind Germany. Unless of course NK is some new godly team.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There were times they tried to convince us it was a good match. Other than that, I really didn't listen to them...

8. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Yeah USA is just too good for Sweden.

They're too physically strong and too effective and have a great mentality.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, they weren't the most annoying. JP's better than average (imo) and Foudy's observations are generally good. She isn't a homer and criticizes the WNT when they don't play well. I'll take those two over most of the crew that announce the men's game. Wynalda does (generally) entertain me, though.

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between the weather, the way NK attacked and the injury to Abby, I agree - that was a unique result. Glad to see the US shake it off.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Somehow, Rob Stone's awkwardness and Heather Mitts' unevenly parted hair bother me when they're in studio.

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly did you expect from this match? Two top teams playing basically for the top of the group in what is clearly the Group of Death. Not exactly the foundation for an open attractive, aesthetically pleasing game.

Anyone who expected Sweden to just lay down or for the US to play like they did v. Canada earlier this year against a team as strong as Sweden isn't paying attention.

Forgive me for having a "No comment" on the announcers, though.

13. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    The Swedish coach is on TV saying how proud he is of the players because they fought well or something.

What a load of crap.

You lose 2-0 because you were outplayed and barely had an attack during most of the game, the keeper sucked and the forwards can't score, what are you proud of.

14. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds Rob Stone incredibly awkward.

Looking at the replay of the 2nd goal, wow that was great. Lilly's ball was perfect, as was Abby's trap and volley. And Abby said she didn't even look at the goal. Wow.

The US puts themselves in a good position to get out of the group, but they'll need a strong win against Nigeria if they want to avoid the pleasure of facing Germany in the quarterfinals.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I didn't see the desire and fight I had expected, especially when down a goal. I can't imagine that being a loss you're proud of.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not sure he can top himself with the whole "I have estrogen on this side and on this side umm...," but, yeah...his presence has been a bit awkward.

17. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vs NK - the US was off their game and showed grit to hang in there.

vs SWE - aside from the first 20 minutes, the US team we're accustomed to seeing started to emerge. Get rid of some of the longballs off the backline and connect more with the midfield and things should start firing on all cylinders.

Fingers crossed that Solo's arm tweak isn't all that serious.

I feel for Nigeria if the US team shows up full force against them. Tide for the team as a whole is starting to turn positive. Thou I still look forward to a fun game to watch. I know this is the game Markgraf is looking forward to most as she loves going all WWE Smackdown vs Nigeria. LOL

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems pretty obvious that Swe threw everything they had into the opening sequence. Score there and it is a completely different game.

I'm not saying Sweden should be just happy to be there. But of course he is going to try to put a positive spin on it. I doubt it would do any good to focus on the negative in the press.

19. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
  20. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    seemed a typical us-sweden game to me. that is, generally even w/ the us able to put away their chances and hang tough on defense. certainly more composure all around would be nice. would also like to see more outside shots and some creative spark- lilly and chalupny are worldbeaters, but unfortunately haven't shown it. i think they will, and i'm guessing it'll start v. nigeria.

21. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to agree with ya on all points. Especially the Lilly and Chalupny point. I think we've seen more from Chalupny than Lilly because teams are marking her like crazy. Good to see that Ryan is letting Chalupny up in the midfield and letting her roam where the play dictates.

22. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Chalupa's breakout game should be against Nigeria. You'd have to expect the Nigerians to have 2 markers on Abby, and a marker each on lilly and Orielly/Tarpley, leaving the midfield wide open

23. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    The only way Sweden can advance out of the group is to beat NK by 3 goals, right?

24. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    With strikers unable to score, defenders unable to defend and Hedvig Lindahl, I just don't see it.

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, goal difference decides who will progress if two teams are tied on points, rather than head to head results (as used in the last men's world cup)... therefore, for Sweden to progress, they need to win by three goals or more as Korea currently havea 4-2 GD while Sweden are at 1-3. Even a Sweden win by two goals will put North Korea through on goals scored.