PBP: Sweden vs France: June 19 - Olympic Stadium [R]

Discussion in 'Group D - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England' started by JaredSS07, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]
    Sweden vs France
    June 19, 20.45 CET
    Olympic Stadium

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the first meaningless match of the tournament, sweden already out, france practically in... both sides will rotate a lot of players... france will have to be serious but no risks will be taken.

3. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If Sweden defend like they did against England, they will be mauled...

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    contarywise if england defend like they did against sweden ukraine's through and they're... through.

5. Michael Brownrigg

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I can see Sweden causing an upset tonight - The French have not looked like the world beater I thought they would.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, seriously hate UEFA's head-to-head elimination tie breaker. Because of that, now France have a very, very slim chance of elimination, meaning that even if they lose, the only way they don't go through is if England lose to Ukraine by an equal or greater scoreline... makes this game kind of an anticlimax, but I guess it's all about avoiding Spain in the quarters at this point...

7. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    That doesn't have anything to do with head-to-head. Exactly the same would apply with goal differential first.

8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I really want to see Ukraine make it through, but I'd rather England go than France... I think that means Sweden have to beat France by like, 3 goals. I'm not a fan of the head to head.

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ibrahimovic makes it 1-0

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Actually, I give France better chances versus Spain than versus Italy. So losing this one almost makes sense. Italy has been far too many times France's black dog.

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Larsson makes it 2-0

15. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Funny how some people slammed England for "Only beating Sweden the worst team in the group" :D

Sweden did better than Ukraine overall in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Enjoy Spain, France :D

Salazar and sendorange repped this.
  16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arrogant nonsense. Seems the French players had the same attitude and rightly paid for it. Only question is how Sweden didn't win by 4 or 5 goals.

guignol and sidspaceman repped this.
  17. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, France were very lucky tonight. If that "goal" for Ukraine had actually counted, things would have been very interesting. I think the media set Les Bleus up for a fall after the win over Ukraine. Playing Spain isn't the end of the world. In order to be the best, you have to beat the best, and quite frankly winning a European Championship is harder than winning a World Cup. Losing Mexes is hard to take, but in Koscielny, France have a defender who is familiar with Fernando Torres' play. Stopping Torres will go a long way towards keeping Spain quiet. This game could turn out to be one of the best of Euro 2012 since both teams are renown for playing slick, attacking, possession-based football. There is always the possibility of Laurent Blanc opting for a cautious approach and fielding three defensive midfielders. I would like to see Menez and Cabaye back for the Spain game. They were two of France's better performers in the win versus Ukraine. Menez's pace could go a long way to unsettling La Furia Roja's backline. One thing for sure is that it will be a memorable game. Benzema and Ribery need to find their shooting boots. Hopefully, Nasri's injury isn't too serious. The tournament starts now. Let the mind games begin!

18. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    France's by far best defender is on the bench. That's why they've looked awful defensively all 3 games. Rami is not good enough. Mexes is okay. Koscielny has been top class for a long time. He showed it in the friendly before the tournament and Blanc still doesnt play him because he's new to the squad and relatively inexperienced.

19. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think Mexes has looked bad because he didn't have much playing time with AC Milan last season. He was very highly rated by the Italian media during his time with AS Roma. If I am Laurent Blanc, I opt for three defensive midfielders in the shape of M'Vila, Diarra, and Cabaye versus Spain. I would go for a three-man attack comprising of Ribery and Menez given freedom to roam behind lone striker Benzema. This game will be won/lost in midfield, and people like Xavi and Iniesta simply cannot be allowed to dictate the pace of the game.

PS. I support Arsenal, and while the stats point to Koscielny being among the most consistent defenders in the EPL last season, he is error-prone. Let's hope he has a great game on Saturday.

20. svardineni

svardineni New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Enjoy Ballotelli, England...

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mexes out is a blessing in disguise. Diarra and M'Vila playing together meant no creativity.

Blanc played for the 0-0.

22. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He will probably get sent off.

Anyway I don't think Spain are as good as the hype when it comes to scoring.

23. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The way Balotelli walks around doing nothing for club and country I'll be glad if he plays from the start. Man city would move him on in a heart beat if anyone would take him

thepremierleague repped this.
  24. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spain certainly lack something now Villa is not playing, they also look bad at the back but don't usually get punished because not many teams do enough going forward to hurt them

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    TBH, I expect the France-Spain to be a dreadful affair, with much lateral passing, back passing, waiting, ball holding, and playing chicken to see who makes the first fatal mistake.

guignol repped this.