Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax got the toughest team in the CL qualification round. PAOK was undefeated in the Greek league last season and conceded only 14 goals. this will not be an easy tie.

richsavare repped this.
  2. Wonder why Ten Hag used Botman as CD in stead of Kik Pierie in the friendly against OFI.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pierie has played at both positions during this summer's training sessions. ten Hag is still trying to sort things out with all the players he now has.

4. Would think it's more important to use the most experienced players at their best position in the run up to the CL qualifier. Young team kids can wait.

5. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Noa lang continues to impress me in that midfielder role.He was also in the thick of things from the middle.he is a good runner unlike van der beek. I see flashes of sneijder in him.Im hoping to seeing him mire this season.

Oranje98 repped this.
  6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    1-1 at the half. Ajax were totally dominant from the 20th minute on with almost all the game in the Panithinaikos half. Unfortunately they conceded an early goal when the Panithinaikos striker was poorly marked and had a clear header that was too strong for Varella. van de Beek with the Ajax goal after a good run by Dest delivered a nice cut back pass. Per Schuurs is looking better and better and he just might be the starter in the right side of the central defense.

Oranje98 repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Panathinaikos had two shots on goal and both went in. The game winner came on a free kick that was poorly defended. Varella had no chance on either goal. According to ESPN, Ajax had 67% possession, 13 shots with six of them on frame. they totally outplayed the Greek team in every facet of the game except the score. I'm not sure about Gravenberch who came on with about a half hour left in the match. His touches were poor. Traore looks like the real deal and is super fast for a #9. Lisandro Marinez made his first appearance coming in as Blind moved up to MF. Dest, Schuurs, and Veltman played the full 90 along with Tadic. Other Substitutions were Jensen, Danilo Pereira, and Keneth Taylor.

All the remaining internationals are back in training now.

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Only watched the second half.... on-and-off, multi-tasking. Promes and Dolberg looked very rusty and out of pace. I liked what I saw from V.d. Beek... was very active up and down the field, and played with purpose. Could probably have scored his second from long distance (but well-saved by the Pana G.K). He is going to have a monster season and will be one of the league's MVP, I predict. Nobody else quite stood out for me, but of course, it's hard to pick out anything special from a warm-up match.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    At his press conference today ten Hag said that it's possible that Onana, Mazraoui and Ziyech could be in the selection tomorrow. Neres and Tagliafico are doubtful because of lack of training. He also stated he does not expect any new transfers in and is satisfied with the team he currently has. The only rumors I've seen are about Neres and the money is way out of wack and I don't think serious. No bids at all for Ziyech.

Alavarez is still wating for a work permit.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Any streams for today’s match?

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    this is the site I use to find streams: http://livetv.sx/enx/

BocaFan repped this.
  12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This doesnt really surprise me

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It ends 2-0, Dolberg with the match winner and a nice shot from distance by Blind to give Ajax some breathing room. Team looked in synch and defended well 95% of the time. Onana really didn't have to make a difficult save. The game really slowed down in the last half hour, likely because of the high temperatures.

Player ratings:

Onana (6) - hardly had anything to do
    Dest (6.5) - speed to burn and he knows how to use it; did get beat late and pulled his man down just outside the box
    Martinez (6.5) - good half of football and showed himself a capable defender
    Schuurs (6.5) - decent enough
    Veltman (6) - some silly fouls but OK at RB; wonder what happens when Tagliafico and Alvarez come into the team
    Marin (6.5) - good control of the MF
    Blind (6.5) - quick crisp passing when he was playing in the MF before dropping back to the back line
    van de Beek (6.5) - industrious as always and great assist o Dolberg's goal
    Promes (6) - OK but looked a step off the pace of the match
    Dolberg (7) - good quickness and nice runs all match long
    Tadic (6.5) - good match from the skipper
    Schöne (6) - on for most of the second half and that looks like his role now
    Ziyech (6) - on in the 2nd half and was a little rusty but still chased after every ball to press
    Magallan (NR) - on late

All to play for starting next week with the season opener against Vitesse followed by the CL qualification. Still a bit of doubt about whether anyone leaves during this transfer window.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  14. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Was pretty excited to watch this one as PSV also has some nice young talent to monitor for Oranje.

All I can say is the KNVB must be hating that Dest won't commit to the National Team. The kid is a very solid prospect. Gets up and down the pitch well. Makes nice runs and defends pretty well. Has a lot of potential.

Blind on that one goal showed his strengths so well. The beautiful over the top ball and then hammers it home.

I really liked Schuurs game. Calm, cool, and collected back there. I think he can be a very solid CB and now with so many defenders on the Ajax side I'm not sure if he will get the time he deserves.

Van de Beek with a strong game but I felt he held onto the ball a second too long quite a few times and the right play passed him by. Needs to be quicker in his decision making.

As for PSV. I love the way Gakpo moves around the field. Very gazelle like. Just didn't do enough to create.

15. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Both coaches need to work on alot. For me PSV was better team.they looked dangerous when in possession but couldnt find the back of the net.ajax took the chances and executed it. The only player in Ajax that caught my attention was Dest and the big question is should Koeman give him a call up to see if it can change his mind ,if maybe. He didnt have much choice either before this, even in the youth ranks and resorted to USA. I wonder if he has a call up on the table like they did it for Asensio and then he decide which boat he wants to board.

16. https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...jax-blinkt-uit-dramadebuut-voor-boscagli.html
    Spelersrapport: Verdedigende as van Ajax blinkt uit, dramadebuut voor Boscagli
    Gepubliceerd: zaterdag 27 juli 2019 om 20:35

Ajax en PSV hebben het seizoen geopend met de strijd om de Johan Cruijff Schaal. De Amsterdammers wonnen de traditionele seizoensopening voor het eerst sinds 2013 dankzij een 2-0 zege op PSV. VoetbalPrimeur deelt cijfers uit.

Ajax:

André Onana – 7: Veel kreeg hij niet te doen. Maar wat hij moest doen, deed de Kameroener met verve. Ajax mag zich gelukkig prijzen dat het ook komend seizoen nog over Onana kan beschikken.

Joël Veltman – 7: Verdedigend voldoende en ook opbouwend van meerwaarde, getuige zijn 'voorassist' op de 1-0 van Kasper Dolberg. Veltman is weer helemaal terug na zijn zware knieblessure. Dat wordt nog een interessante concurrentiestrijd met Noussair Mazraoui...

Perr Schuurs – 7,5: Komt de opvolger van Matthijs de Ligt uit Nieuwstadt? Schuurs kwam verdedigend nauwelijks in de problemen en onderscheidde zich ook in de opbouw. De vroege 1-0 kwam voort uit een gedurfde inspeelpass van de jonge Limburger.

Lisandro Martínez – 7: Af en toe een slippertje in de opbouw, maar over het algemeen oer- en oerdegelijk. Het meest symbolische moment van Martínez vond vroeg in de eerste helft plaats: eerst stopte hij Cody Gakpo af met een gedecideerde tackle, daarna leverde hij de bal keurig in bij Daley Blind.

Sergino Dest – 7,5: Niet honderd procent foutloos, wel ongekend strijdlustig en energiek. Een prettige eerste kennismaking met de Amerikaanse jeugdinternational.

Razvan Marin – 5,5: Opende niet al te gelukkig en maakte veel verkeerde keuzes, maar herpakte zich gaandeweg de wedstrijd. De Roemeen kan dit seizoen van grote waarde zijn met zijn dynamiek en loopvermogen.

Donny van de Beek – 7: Ging vrolijk door waar hij vorig seizoen was gebleven. Na een halve minuut dendere hij weer als vanouds door de vijandelijke linies. Ook in aanloop naar de 2-0 was hij belangrijk.

Daley Blind – 8: De leider van het Ajax-middenveld: constant op de goede plek, rustig aan de bal en Steven Bergwijn schaduwend. Leidde de 2-0 in met een slimme vrije trap en rondde zelf af.

Dusan Tadic – 5,5: De man van 38 goals en veertien assists was zaterdag iets minder dwingend aanwezig, al was hij wel belangrijk met zijn loopactie in aanloop naar de 1-0.

Kasper Dolberg – 6: Moest na een halve minuut al in actie komen, maar schoot ijskoud de 1-0 binnen. Direct daarna miste de Deen een opgelegde kans op een tweede goal. Voor rust ging hij iets vaker de duels aan dan gewoonlijk, daarna kwam hij steeds minder in het wedstrijdbeeld voor.

Quincy Promes – 5: De geboren Amsterdammer had een lange omweg nodig, maar maakte eindelijk zijn langverwachte Ajax-debuut. Heel veel indruk maakte hij echter niet: na een uur spelen werd hij naar de kant gehaald door Erik ten Hag.

Invallers:

Lasse Schöne – 5,5: Mocht een half uur meedoen als vervanger van Martínez. Opvallen deed de Deense routinier echter niet.

Hakim Ziyech – 5,5: Viel tegelijkertijd met Schöne in, op het moment dat de wedstrijd eigenlijk al gespeeld was. Ziyech kon zijn stempel dus ook niet drukken, maar zijn tijd komt nog wel dit seizoen...

Lisandro Magallán – x: Viel zeven minuten voor tijd in voor Blind en speelde te kort voor een beoordeling.

PSV:

Jeroen Zoet – 5,5: Kon uiteraard niets doen aan de vroege 1-0 van Dolberg. De 2-0 van Blind was iets minder onhoudbaar, maar Zoet kan verder terugkijken op een degelijk optreden.

Denzel Dumfries – 6,5: Revancheerde zich voor een ongelukkig optreden tegen FC Basel. Promes had weinig te vertellen tegen zijn collega van het Nederlands elftal.

Derrick Luckassen – 6: Verhuurd aan Hertha BSC, nauwelijks gespeeld, veel blessureleed en nu de gaten in de PSV-defensie moeten dichten: ga er maar aan staan. Luckassen deed wat hij kon, al had hij weinig steun aan zijn Franse kompaan Olivier Boscagli.

Olivier Boscagli – 4: Valser had de start van de Franse debutant niet kunnen verlopen. Na een halve minuut liet hij zich al uit het centrum trekken door Tadic, waarna de PSV-verdediging compleet open lag. Ook bij de 2-0 en in de opbouw maakte Boscagli geen sterke indruk.

Michal Sadílek – 6,5: Speelde tegen FC Basel onwennig als linksback en begon ook tegen Ajax ongelukkig. Later herpakte de Tsjech zich en hield hij Dusan Tadic prima in bedwang. De tackle waarmee hij de 2-0 van Van de Beek voorkwam, was een mooie. Helaas voor Sadílek kwam de bal vervolgens bij Blind terecht...

Pablo Rosario – 5,5: De vice-aanvoerder vond PSV 'te schijterig' aan de bal. Zelf had hij ook niet veel bijdragen in offensieve zin, maar Rosario was nuttig met zijn verdedigende werk.

Steven Bergwijn – 6,5: Minder dwingend aanwezig dan tegen FC Basel, maar nog steeds de man bij wie de meeste PSV-aanvallen begonnen. Bergwijn op 10, het is een aardige tactische vondst van Van Bommel.

Jorrit Hendrix – 5: Niet slecht aan de bal, maar dé hoofdrolspeler in negatieve zin voor rust. Eerst verloor hij Van de Beek volledig uit het oog, daarna solliciteerde hij opzichtig naar rood. Van Bommel had geen andere keuze dan Hendrix halverwege vervangen.

Cody Gakpo – 6: Zorgde met zijn snelheid vaak voor dreiging, maar haalde weinig rendement uit zijn acties. De geboren Eindhovenaar staat in de pikorde achter Bergwijn, Bruma en Lozano, maar zal nog genoeg minuten mee gaan pakken dit seizoen.

Sam Lammers – 6,5: Vorig seizoen dreef hij als spits van sc Heerenveen de Ajax-defensie tot wanhoop en zorgde ook in dienst van PSV voor veel dreiging. Veel bespeelbare ballen kreeg hij niet, maar Lammers hield zich keurig staande, totdat hij geblesseerd uitviel.

Bruma – 4,5: Opende sterk tegen FC Basel, maar had in Amsterdam zijn dag niet. De Portugees had vrijwel voortdurend ruzie met de bal en mocht na één helft al onder de douche plaatsnemen.

Invallers:

Erick Gutiérrez – 5: Werd geslachtofferd, maar moest na de eerste helft alsnog revanche neme. Guti speelde echter onzichtbaar en had de pech dat de wedstrijd kort na zijn entree al beslist werd.

Donyell Malen – 5: De held van FC Basel-thuis kreeg rust, maar kwam na één helft alsnog binnen de lijnen. Had de wedstrijd nog enigszins spannend kunnen maken, maar ging wel heel wild om met zijn zelf gecreëerde kans.

Hirving Lozano – 6: Viel na een half uur in en maakte een gretige indruk. Bereidde nog bijna een goal voor, maar zag Malen net tekort komen.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Schuurs has had some very nice matches thus far. When Alvarez receives his work permit where is he going to play? He has played RB for the Mexico NT and maybe that is where he ends up for Ajax. Ajax have a much deeper team than last season with players who can cover multiple positions. ten Hag has some interesting decisions this year and I don't think there is an automatic starting 11 at this point.

wilson00 and Oranje98 repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax have a friendly with Turkish side Sivasspor today. Mainly 2nd group players in the lineup, though Mazraoui and Tagliafico will see their first action. Don't know if Neres will get some playing time

Varela; Tagliafico, Perie, Magallan, Mazraoui; Schöne, Eiting, Ekkelenkamp; Lang, Huntelaar, Labyad

19. What line up is expected against the Greek?

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Probably the same lineup that starts against Vitesse on Saturday. Mazraoui and Tagliafico each played a half today in a friendly against Sivasspor. I don't know if they will be match ready this coming weekend. Alvarez still needs his work permit.

I expect Onana in goal, Schuurs and Martinez in the center defense, MF of Blind, Marin, van de Beek with Promes, Dolberg, and Tadic up front. I don't know who starts at the FBs.

21. @Orange14
    I'm so tempted to post the faith of high rising and falling defenders van Rijn and van de Wiel, who once as real Ajax stars were bigged up and made it into the Orange squad, but I guess that would be too much to take for those tender souls in the Yanks Dest thread.:ROFLMAO:

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @feyenoordsoccerfan - LOL I wouldn't want to spoil their day. I do think Dest is potentially better than both of them. van der Wiel was lucky in that he had a decent season with Ajax and no competition for the 2010 WC spot at RB. He was a decent RB but not great. I think he's still over here playing in MLS. van Rhijn worked hard but had only limited skills. I guess AZ didn't want him after the loan period last year.

EDIT: It amazing to see how excited the Americans are about Dest and the Mexico NT supporters about Alvarez moving to Ajax. I've never received so many 'likes' on my posts ever!!!;)

23. :ROFLMAO:
    As I posted a few days ago about their national rivalry they're gonna fight about who's the best at Ajax:p
    This is going to be fun....from the sideline;)

24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands