Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jong Ajax defeated top of table Cambuur today 0-2. Sontje Hansen scored in his first start since moving up from the U-19 team. Naci Unavar came on late as a substitute in his first call up as well. Brobbey and Taylor are already getting game time.

Jong Ajax are in second place, three points back.

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He even tries to speak Dutch (which is horrible....LOL), but I so commend him for even trying to speak Dutch.

Oh hell, I'm om my 8th Jenever right now :thumbsup:

3. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Ajax should go all in on Stengs in the summer. He played today better than all the Ajax wingers. Only Ziyech did something today.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was right about only one goal being scored and unfortunately it was for the home team in added time. Ajax have lost three straight for the first time since 1999 according to the match announcer and are scoreless in those matches as well. Clearly missing Neres and Promes really hurts the attack. Defensively the team did OK, Alvarez marked Stengs out of the match and even on the goal the defense wasn't awful. Not much more Schuurs could have done as he had weight on Boadu and was not going to be beaten in the air. Maybe if there had been a player at the near post it might have turned out different and I'm not sure that Onana made the best move on that corner as he was in no position to make any kind of play.

Cup match coming up against Telstar in mid-week and a home match against ADO to close out 2019. Precious time off coming up to get everyone healthy.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6) - not sure he made the best decision on the goal
    Mazraoui (6.5) - decent enough but not the offensive threat that Tagliafico poses
    Martinez (7) - solid
    Schuurs (7) - good match with a stinging shot late in the second half that caused Bizot some problems
    Veltman (6.5) - all in all an OK match; had a good chance in the early part of the match that hit the side netting
    Alavarez (7) - played well but needs to look for the forward pass rather than passing back
    Marin (6.5) - decent enough filling in
    van de Beek (6.5) - industrious but couldn't provide any offense
    Tadic (6.5) - no clear shots on goal
    Huntelaar (6.5) - worked really hard and had one half chance when Bizot spilled the ball
    Ziyech (6) - couldn't make anything happen
    Tagliafico (NR) - on late and had a header that went wide of the post

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's amazing that AZ have only allowed 8 goals so far in 17 games

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Stengs had a relatively poor match compared to what he should be able to do.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bizot is a very good keeper and should be considered as the Dutch #1

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  8. No chance and either on Boadu. They were considered not good enough for Ajax and ended up at AZ's academy and from comments by both of them they're not interested in Ajax:
    'Myorn Boadu heeft helemaal geen trek in een transfer naar ...
    8 uur geleden - Myron Boadu wordt al een tijdje gelinkt aan Ajax. Maar hoe denkt de speler ... stage geweest bij Ajax. Daar vonden ze me niet goed genoeg.

9. Yeah, and 4 of those in one match against Heerenveen!
    So now non of the top 3 clubs managed to score against AZ.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind is ruled out of the next two matches as he continues to be evaluated for the dizzy spell he had in the Valencia match. Hope it is not a concussion syndrome. Beker match coming up against Telstar and I would like to see Traore given the start at striker.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We got a good draw. It couldve been worse:

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1301137705/ajax-loot-getafe-az-tegen-linz

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Daley Blind had a dizzy spell in the Valencia CL match but stayed on the pitch. After medical evaluation inflammation in his heart was detected. Blind had a device similar to a pacemaker implanted. It monitors heart rhythm and can give the heart of shock if there is an abnormality detected. I'm not a cardiologist and wont' venture any opinion about Blind's future as a football player.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Naci Unuvar got his first goal for Jong Ajax yesterday and Brian Brobbey also scored as they defeated Top Oss, 2-0.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Every year The Guardian selects the top 100 football players. Three current and two former Ajax players made the list: van de Beek, Ziyech, Tadic, de Ligt, and de Jong. It points out how special last season was for this team.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not either, but this doesnt sound good. What if Blind gets bodychecked during a game, wont that jeopardize the pacemaker and perhaps knock it out of its place??

I'm assuming they had to operate on him to insert the pacemaker?? Or is it an external one??

16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    De Volkskrant has today a retrospective on this fateful semi final match.

In this also an analysis that those 5 minutes extra time by dirty Brych was way too much :mad: ... and not in sync with his other matches

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Can you post a link? I would like to read it.

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    [​IMG]

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The great English rock band, The Who, said it best, "the kids are alright!" ETH put out Traore, Ekkelenkamp, and Gravenberch to start the match and all three hit the back of the net. Bringing a close to 2019 in what was the 56th competitive match for Ajax, the club downed ADO 6-1 with only a late PK call by Dennis Higler allowing the visitors a chance to get on the scoreboard. Ajax were seldom troubled defensively by a very mediocre ADO team and once Ziyech scored on a very nice shot to the left corner of the goal the match was never in doubt.

Player Ratings (can't give anyone more than a 7.5 because of the poor quality of the opponent):

Onana (6.5) - had one or two good saves but was mostly a spectator
    Tagliafico (7) - very good offensive movement but probably should have been booked by putting his head into the ADO player after the late foul on Martinez
    Martinez (7) - good match until he blocked off Summerville in the box on the penalty call
    Veltman (7) - good game and had some decent forays into the offensive zone
    Dest (7) - very active offensively overlapping every time the opportunity was there
    Gravenberch (7) - some excellent play on his debut but I don't think he is a true DM
    Ekkelenkamp (7) - nicely taken goal and almost had another, showed some very good movement off the ball
    van de Beek (7.5) - excellent goal and some fine passing
    Tadic (7.5) - just a wonderful player who constantly brings enthusiasm into the game for everyone
    Traore (7) - got on the scoreboard and had a nice assist on the Tadic goal
    Ziyech (7.5) - very solid half of football
    Lang (6.5) - brought some good speed into the 2nd half coming on for Ziyech
    Marin (6.5) - good enough coming on
    Hansen (NR) - crowd wanted him to score but it wasn't to be in his 12 minutes of play

Some well deserved rest now before the league season, Europa League and Dutch Cup start again in January. What a wonderful year of football Ajax brought us. Only five seconds separated the club from a Champions League final and only the unfortunate injuries to Neres and Promes kept the club from a second straight appearance in the knockout round of the CL. Let's look forward to a solid 2020!!!

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Its too bad we wont be able to hang on to Ten Hag in the summer :(

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't be so sure. I don't think he wants to go to the EPL and all the Spanish teams other than the big 3 would be a step down. Don't know about Italy as most of the teams there are rubbish. Only big steps up would be Bayern and Dortmund (assuming Favre is sacked). An Ajax trainer already failed at Dortmund.

22. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Anyone else outraged that Blind was allowed to stay in the match?

Watching on TV it was quite scary. He randomly just collapsed on the field. At best, he had suffered a mild concussion. But that does not happen just by accident.

23. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow.. kudos to Hansen. From out of nowhere (well, at least for me - I haven’t heard about him before the WC u17 this summer) fast-tracked to a debut in Ajax senior!! Ajax are creating a powerful team full of talented youngsters.... Hansen, Schuurs, Gravenberch, Ekkelenkamp, Unuvar, Traore, etc. Hope they click, and stay put for a while!!! Watch out world.

gabrielguilarte and Orange14 repped this.
  24. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    why do you say this?