Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    The moment is proving to be too big for Lang right now. Has been so poor. His terrible passing lead directly to the goal. Also Veltman with another stinker so far

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind with a weak challenge leads to the 0-1

3. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Holy crap Lang's passing has been dreadful

4. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Please sub Alvarez. Killing attacks with poor passing. Is not good enough technically to play MF for Ajax. Also is a matter of time until he gets his 2nd YC.

Ref tells Valencia to stop wasting time... then gives no injury time?

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I still think we will get the 1-1

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't know who will score against this packed in defense. Lang looks lost out there and Alavarez's passing is too slow for the MF. Marin out to come on as he can at least pass the ball. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: Maybe this is why ETH has Siem de Jong on the bench.

7. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lol this exactly is happening. This is so frustrating. The loss of Promes and Neres is huge. Lang is losing everything and our midfield without Ziyech was non-existant. We’ll see how it goes now, but it says enough about your injury status when you have to bring in a RB as your offensive savior.

8. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    As much as it sucks Ajax are out when they should have already moved on, they played terrible today.

They never stood a chance to win Champions League this year with the team they have but I think have a real chance at Europa League. I know people mock Europa but if Ajax can win Europa that would be a very successful year imo

9. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Huge part of this loss is on Overmars. Ajax desperately needed someone in the MF and he just hasn't bought anyone good. Martinez/Alvarez are CBs. Marin is garbage. Without CL, it'll be impossible to buy someone good in the winter.

Ref was a joke but that's to be expected at this point. At one point fouls were 19-4.

I've been about as pro-Veltman as you can be: but my god that goal is 100% on him. Just moronic.

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ajax has themselves to blame. Referee was again a disgrace though.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax had to confront another 4-4-2 and just as in Friday's game against Willem II, Ajax could not score. They conceded an early goal and then in the waning stages of the game lost whatever composure they had, unnerved by Valencia's stalling tactics. Off it is to the Europa league with a questionable team given the injuries and the upcoming January transfer window when we could see some players leave. It's disappointing that the two key Ajax wingers missed this match but the seeds of destruction came in London when could not hold off Chelsea in a match they should have easily won.

Onana (6.5) - made one good save and then drew a late YC so he will be suspended for the first EL match
    Tagliafico (5) - could not generate any offense against the packed in defense
    Blind (6) - decent passing
    Veltman (5.5) - kept the Valencia man onsides for the winning goal
    Mazraoui (6) - generally decent on the night moving up to the MF in the 2nd half
    Martinez (6) - won more challenges than he lost
    Alvarez (4) - just too slow with the ball to be a MF on this team
    van de Beek (5.5) - just could not seem to figure out how to play against this defense
    Ziyech (6.5) - scuffed the best chance of the night
    Lang (4.5) - poor and looked scared when he had the ball
    Tadic (6) - couldn't pull a rabbit out of his hat
    Dest (6) - really worked hard trying to keep the ball going forward
    Huntelaar (5) - had no impact at all
    de Jong (NR) - I hope this is his last season with Ajax

12. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't agree. Beyond the obvious discussion that we should never have been in this situation (and showed amazing resillience to almost reach the next stage despite being absolutely ********ed in both Chelsea games) this Ajax team tonight was simply not a representation of the potential of Ajax.
    Missing Promes and Neres is huge. We had to bring in a youth player, Lang, who literally gave away possession on every play. We had to pull our best midfield player into another position completely disturbing our midfield. And our attack was so injury ravished that we had to bring on a fricken backup right back as our hopeful offensive savior. There is no doubt in my mind that had either Neres or Promes been here tonight we would have won.

But again, the situation should never have taken place. We were ********ed out of the tournament as soon as the two Chelsea games were stolen from us. And UEFA really needs to figure out some shit with their VAR system. Add up the amount of time wasted that second half and it should EASILY have been more than 10 minutes! I KNEW (and even posted) that they were definitely gonna ******** us over with 5 minutes added on. And then IN those 5 minutes themselves Valencia wasted probably at least 3 of them. Blind points this out to the ref and the ref signals 'don't worry, i'm keeping track of the time' and then fricken whistled after 1 extra minute. It's bullshit. No other sport is impacted as much by reffing as football. When a game is often decided by only 1 goal, bad calls can decide everything. And that to me leaves a sour taste and threatens to convince me to stop watching football. As much as I love the game, i'm starting to lose faith in it.

Lets be honest for a second. Ajax is and was clearly the best team in this group. That is undeniable and it is a loss/disgrace for the Champion's League that they went out the way they did.

13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Best GD in the group (and 2nd best of any of the 4 groups that have ended).

10 pts would be enough in every single other group to get through. The Chelsea 4-4 match was a fixed result. Today felt fixed at times... Ajax was really poor but the entire match was ********ed by the ref.

Brilliant Dutch and DutchFanatic repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/725179417/ajax-trainer-ten-hag-wantrouwde-arbitrage

"Ten Hag distrusted the referee"

:thumbsup:

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just a very unfortunate and sad result for Ajax and Dutch football.
    Certainly the sting is worse when it also comes down to VAR and the poor refereeing.
    Now the exodus will likely begin including ETH I would expect to go to Bayern Munich
    One last note/ thought is the bad buys on Overmars has not helped.
    Hoping for youth to develop quick as always.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bram van der Ploeg over at AjaxShowtime has a good analysis of yesterday's match: https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/articl...b-waarom-alles-omgooien-voor-zon-cruciale-pot The most interesting point is his comment that Ajax were unbalanced by moving van de Beek up to #10 and Ziyech to the wing which is not how they had been playing prior to the injuries to Neres and Promes. Maybe he was correct that Ajax should have brought in Sontje Hansen to play on the wing so that Ziyech could roam freely in the MF and van de Beek would have then guarded Parejo from the beginning of the match. It would have been a ballsy move by ETH and one in keeping with Ajax philosophy of throwing young players into big games. Maybe it would have worked.

I'm moving on now and thinking of the match coming up on Sunday. It's too bad the CL adventure ended up this way but as Ajax supporters these days we are often disappointed.

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Dirty referee.

18. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This was so obvious to everyone, i'm glad they did the analysis. Valencia completely wasted away the entire second half, and they were rewarded for it. We were very threatening in the second half and in truth Valencia was really hanging on and hoping. That extra time could have been crucial. I mean Blind spent like 2 minutes practically passed out on the ground, multiple injuries, multiple substitutions, a few full-team 'fights'.... 5 minutes, right.

My frustration with the group stage of this champion's league campaign transcends just simply losing. I can accept losing (as we Dutch know very well), but when the results are so obviously and extremely impacted by referees, it really takes away any faith or joy in the game. I don't think there is any other ball sport in the world that is so systematically impacted by referees as football. The truth is that the thing that makes football so beautiful, that one moment can decide the result of a game, is also the reason why referee decisions so often decide the result of the game.

It's not just the big moments such as the bad offside calls, penalties, red cards etc. that are obvious to everyone. If you think of how many 50/50 moments happen throughout a game whereby one referee would make one decision and the other completely a different, this can have resounding effects on a game.

For instance, a player makes a 50/50 foul in the midfield to dispossess the other team of the ball thereby resulting in a counter-attack that creates a goal. Referee A calls the foul, referee B doesn't call the foul. Games are routinely won by just 1 goal, so the choice of the ref decides the game.

Look at the 2010 final between Spain and the Netherlands, there were SO many controversial calls going both ways. A different ref would have meant an entirely different game and possibly an entirely different outcome. So what eventually decides the winner, the quality of the team or the decisions of the ref? In my opinion equal parts both, which is not what it should be. The high pressure to reattain the ball in dangerous positions is so important to Ajax's game, but that element was completely removed from us because every single contact was given a foul. Any time we could have stolen possession in a dangerous position the Valencia player went down and the ref called it. This completely broke our game and allowed Valencia to pretty much stall away the entire game from the moment they scored.

I accept that the 50/50 scenario unfortunately has to be part of the game, which is why any winner of any tournament will always have to have a substantial element of luck. But it is really frustrating. Add on to that the historically terrible calls in both Chelsea matches and the obvious stats that the larger teams are significantly helped by refs and it becomes extremely disheartening.

I will say this, I know that Ajax/PSV also benefit from that preferential treatment in the Eredivisie, and that is also not fair.

19. Both Chelsea and Valencia will be obliterated in the next round.

Orange14 repped this.
  20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    According to the match analysis over on Between the Posts, Ajax had the better of the chances.
    [​IMG]

21. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I wonder if ten Hag will go in the summer or in the winter. I was thinking he'd wait until the summer so he could get a full transfer window under his belt, not be associated with Bayern losing the league, etc. However-- he did join Ajax at a low point for the club in the winter of 2018 so maybe he will go.

This is probably unpopular-- I think ten Hag has been very good as the manager but nothing irreplaceable. The CL results last year were incredible but Ajax also had the talent to go where they did. Personally, I thought Bosz did a better job in 16/17 than ten Hag last year-- the talent level of that 16/17 does not match up with how far they went in EL.

Overmars needed desperately to get us a CM (especially after Schöne left)... and we got 2 CBs (Martinez/Alvarez) + someone totally useless (Marin). With a legit CM like Propper, Ajax wins 5 of the 6 group stage matches. We're a threat to win the whole thing. Unfortunately, the Marin miss has already been absolutely massive.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He's got a long term contract with Ajax and if he does leave I'm sure Ajax will request compensation. I don't know whether there is a buyout clause.

I've never been a fan of Propper. He is a poor defender and I don't think his handling speed is fast enough for Ajax. My understanding was that Martinez was thought of as a replacement for Tagliafico when he leaves. I don't know enough about his career in Argentina to say for sure. He's undersized for a CB and moved into the MF when Blind proved to be too slow to play there. I think he's improved his passing a lot but still needs more work. It's difficult for players used to physical football to come into the Dutch league where fast handling is more important.

Alvarez came into the team very late and I'm really not sure what his best position is. Schuurs is the CB of the future on the right side. I don't know if Perie will make it and Ajax loaned Botman to Heerenveen and he's a full time starter at LCB. Alvarez has a nose for goal but is he quick enough to play full time?

Marin came in with a good reputation and plays regularly for Romania. I agree that it looks like he has not panned out. Fortunately, there are a lot solid MFs in the youth system.

23. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Ajax got 5m Euro for Bosz... I expect something similar for ten Hag. He already confirmed he would finish the year with Ajax but we will see. Leaving CL changes things. If he goes to Bayern, I would imagine he will bring Ziyech (and maybe 1-2 more players) with him.

Martinez is OK in a defensive match. But in the matches like Valencia (which is most) where we need lots of possession, he just doesn't make quick enough decisions. I think he will be a great LB for Nico when he leaves. But I just don't like him in the midfield. I would like to see him and Marin together actually but Marin must be REALLY bad in training too to never really get any looks.

I am curious what Overmars will do (if anything) this window. I wonder if Donny will be allowed to go with the chance to play in CL for Real Madrid. If he does go, I would hope we buy a replacement. I don't see any CMs that are ready right now in the youth system. It looks like Eiting is toast, Ekklenkamp I don't really rate and Gravenbersch it seems like they don't think is ready yet. Plus he has a weird contract situation.

24. Tadic weigerde megabod uit China: ‘Ik voel me rijk van binnen’

Dusan Tadic kreeg afgelopen zomer een zeer lucratieve aanbieding om in China te gaan voetballen, maar legde die naast zich neer. Dalian Yifang wilde 42 miljoen euro betalen aan Tadic voor drie seizoenen. ,,Het was een 'crazy' bod, maar geld is niet alles. Geluk kan je niet kopen, ik voel me rijk van binnen", zegt de Servische aanvaller van Ajax in een interview met The Guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/10/ajax-dusan-tadic-spurs-china-southampton-interview
    upload_2019-12-12_14-57-10.png

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If football had more players like Tadic, the game would be better off.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.