Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No Ziyech? Wow the guy is remarkably underrated internationally. I wonder it that irritates Ziyech, seeing arguably inferior teammates be rated highly above him. For that reason I would consider going abroad if I was Ziyech because clearly he can’t prove himself internationally until he makes that step.

2. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    It's a bit high for van de Beek for me and I love Donny. Also I don't rate Neres that high. I think Promes is better and I would definitely not habe Promes as a top ten winger in the world. Also I'd have Memphis on the list at forward over Tadic but there is no denying how great Tadic was last year

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Neres probably made the cut because of his age. Tadic was a worthy inclusion since he was such a goal machine last season. I wonder what the ceiling is for Ziyech. He is not strong enough to play in the EPL and I think he is too easily dispossessed. He's a hybrid MF-Wing player. He does have great field vision and creative. Seville were after him during the summer but maybe the money wasn't there. I suspect that he would do best with a move to the Bundesliga..

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ETH at his press conference said that Veltman is out of tomorrow's match with a muscle injury. Schuurs should get the start as he is likely to play against Lille in the CL match. Eiting is on the team sheet and it will be interesting to see if he gets minutes. Alvarez has jet lag from NT duty so we will see if he plays. Mazraoui is reported as fit.

5. Who are they? Can't say I care much, let alone Ziyech, what ESPN says.

6. What I understood was that iyech himself didnotlike Sevilla, though the pay was better. It was said in the eyes of Ziyech Sevilla was a step down in quality to Ajax and he was content with his pay at Ajax, so his pov is that he only leaves Ajax for a real step up. I read in some top club fora posters wondering why their club donot go after him as his transfer fee is limited to 30 million.

7. Onana told on tv in relation to the racism row with FC Den Bosch-Excelsior that he experienced such things even from Ajax supporters when he made mistakes.

It's the duty of the Ajax management, as of any club management, to identify and ban those cvnts forever out of the stadiums.

BTV802 and Orange14 repped this.
  8. Why did ten Hag take the risk with Mazraoui? When you're not feeling okay in your ankle because of an injury, odds are you put down your foot differently/use your leg differently which can cause injuries in your muscles.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just finished watching the replay of the 2nd half. Very fine display of football tonight against a team that came out to play and has caused Ajax trouble in the past two seasons. In the end Ajax passing was just too good and they peppered the goal with 25 shots. Amazing 602 passes with 523 completions. Everyone with the possible exception of Dest looked like they were really enjoying things. Off to France with a CL game against Lille.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6.5) - really didn't have any difficult saves to make
    Tagliafico (7) - rampaging forward and throwing his body into the box
    Blind (7.5) - wonderful pass for the 2nd goal and decent defending; he will be missed against Lille
    Schuurs (7) - had some very fine moments and a couple of poor defensive choices, his marauding run up field was reminiscent of de Ligt
    Mazraoui (7) - very nice match until coming off with a knock, hope he is ready mid-week
    Martinez (8) - one of the three best players on the pitch, stopped everything that came near him
    van de Beek (7.5) - didn't get a goal but had some wonderful passes
    Ziyech (9) - simply outstanding, too bad he didn't get a goal to cap off the two assists to Promes
    Promes (8.5) - a little more clinical and he has four goals on the night
    Tadic (7) - solid enough
    Labyad (7.5) - really worked hard and good to see him on the score sheet off the pass from Blind
    Dest (5) - was having a nice match until he totally botched control sending the striker in on goal and then had another bad play near the end of time, unfortunate to have the goal taken away
    Huntelaar (5) - right place for a carom off his leg to get on the scoresheet
    Maran (NR)

Lille coming up followed by a trip to Enschede to play FC Twente

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mazraoui is in the traveling squad for tomorrow's match as are Eiting, Jurien Timber (his debut in first team selection), Noa Lang, and Gravenberch.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Interesting lineup for Ajax against Lille:

Onana; Dest, Schuurs, Martinez, Tagliafico; Mazraoui, van de Beek, Ziyech; Labyad, Tadic, Promes

Hope Ajax can score a lot of goals as they are likely to concede a couple.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Best score in the other game we couldve wished for (1-1)

13. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Tough to say. It allows Ajax to still finish 1st, but if Chelsea would have won then Valencia would have had to beat Ajax by four goals to move on. So Ajax would have essentially been through if Chelsea won but most likely would have finished 2nd.

14. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Schuurs had a strong game at the back. He reads the game well and knows when to jump up. Sometimes it backfires if he is a bit too aggressive but he has nice iq. Just lacks a first explosive step as well but liked what I saw.

Also Noa Lang deserves first minutes with Neres out. He has skill and speed to go with some nice passing. He is Ziyech light. You could tell he didn't want to shoot. Passed up a few good chances. Just a case of not wanting to step on player's toes in a big game I think.

15. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Looks like Lang has a future at Ajax, especially considering that this was a CL level game and that the kid has limited experience even in Eredivisie. A good coach would give him more playing time in the league games. Same applies to Eiting, Ekkelenkamp, Traore, Gravenberch.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, but we can now finish first with a win and end up in pot 1 for the draw.

Also, Ajax can forget about keeping Onanna, Beek and Ziyech. They'll be gone next year for sure (and difficult to replace)

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I had to drive my daughter her sister's apartment so I just finished watching the game. Ajax were fortunate that there was Valencia-like finishing on the two break aways otherwise this would have been a different game. The back line held strong during most of the game and the first goal by Ajax was really pretty. Onana had a great double save to keep the clean sheet. The group goes down to the final match day with Ajax only needing a point from Valencia to move forward. A win and Ajax win the group. Chelsea host Lille who might have something to prove for a rather dismal campaign.

Props to ETH for getting the line up and subs correct.

Player Ratings:

Onana (7.5) - great double save but otherwise with little to do
    Tagliafico (7) - solid at both ends
    Martinez (7) - undersized in the back but played great position
    Schuurs (7) - solid game and he is really so good on the ball
    Dest (7) - very good on the day and got the play to the first goal started
    Mazraoui (5.5) - really lucky not have been sent off for the second bad foul, I think this would have been a YC in the Eredivise
    van de Beek (7) - played deeper tonight as Ajax did not want to concede
    Ziyech (8) - excellent game and I hope his arm is OK
    Promes (8) - really nice goal on the pass and he was tracking back all evening
    Tadic (7.5) - good in very tight spaces
    Labyad (6.5) - very good in setting up the first goal and a shame he took a boot to the knee
    Lang (6.5) - superb as a sub coming on with speed to burn; really should have shot when he broke in on goal
    Alvarez (6.5) - played it conservative subbing for Mazraoui but that's what was required
    de Jong (NR) - on late for Ziyech

FC Twente in Enschede this Sunday

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax win in Enschede for the first time in six years, coming back from a two goal deficit. Early give aways led to counters overloading the Ajax defense and the clinical finishing left no doubts that the league leaders had some work to do. Lang with a hat trick in his first Eredivisie start and Huntelaar with the match winner along with a late goal left no doubt as to the outcome. Ajax remain unbeaten in the league. Promes left the match early on with a calf complaint but was on the bench in the second half so perhaps this is not a troubling injury.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6.5) - only had the one save on a low skidding free kick and stood no chance on the two break aways
    Tagliafico (6) - some decent play but on a YC was subbed off in the 2nd half
    Blind (6.5) - don't know if he was caught out on the 2nd Twente goal but his passing was again very good
    Veltman (6.5) - decent enough
    Mazraoui (6) - very poor in the first 30 minutes and then came on to play very well the rest of the way
    Martinez (7) - dispossessed only one time by my count
    van de Beek (6.5) - playing further back with Ziyech at 10 had a really good driving cross that let to one of Lang's goals
    Ziyech (7) - good match and showed no effects of the bruised arm
    Promes (5) - not much of an impact in the short shift before the calf injury
    Tadic (6.5) - some good passing again for our Captain
    Lang (7) - disastrous turnover on the first Twente goal followed by some very nice play and three goals in his first start
    Huntelaar (7) - superb play in 70 minutes of play that included the match winner
    Dest (6) - decent enough coming in at LB
    Marin (NR) - not on long but did pick up a silly YC for a tackle from behind

Home to Willem II next weekend before entertaining Valencia with all to play for in the final CL group match

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ten Hag had better start Noa Lang tomorrow after his hattrick

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why wouldn't he? Promes and Neres are both out injured.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I didnt know they were still injured. Even if they weren't he should still start Noa.

BTW how about trying Noa in a striker (or false striker) position to see how he does?? Or am I talking crazy talk again??

22. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is pretty rough for Ajax. We have a lot more depth than last year thanks to the addition of Promes but missing both of them.... damn. The Ziyech to Promes connection has been almost a guaranteed goal every game the last few times.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes!!! He's too careless with the ball at this point and certainly does not have the field vision that Tadic does. I expect that Huntelaar will start with Tadic and Lang on the wings. Willem II have been having a good season so far and Ajax should not take this one for granted.

Ajax are now up to #3 in ESPN's Power Rankings: https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-es...lamengo-stay-top-but-juventus-drop-five-spots behind only Flamengo of Brazil (who they played in the Florida Cup this past January) and Liverpool.

24. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'm curious will Ajax buy anyone in the winter window? They're very close to a crisis of attackers with Labyad, Neres out for a while and Promes nursing his injury. Too bad about Labyad... by no means is he a CL-level player but he can fill in pretty well. He was proving his worth.

My dream is trying to buy Wijndal, Stengs and/or Baodu. Probably could figure out a buy in the winter, loan back to AZ until the fall type deal. All 3 are stars and all 3 would help Ajax next year tremendously when Nico, Ziyech and others go.

Lang is interesting. He can do some things but still is quite raw. I'd be curious how he plays in a higher level match.