Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Its looking really bad for Ajax now. Not only should we be way ahead in this group but we now might not even make it. And Chelsea will now make it through this group off two cheated games from the ref. They should be right on the bottom with only the 3 points fron Lille.!

3. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Move Martinez back to CB. Blind and Veltman can't both be CB's. Way too slow and not quick enough reactions. They were a mess

4. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It’s true, it really is. Racist, uneducated lowlifes. I tried to keep an open mind to them and this fixture but that is gone now. They’re right back up to my most hated team of all time.

venema20 repped this.
  5. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Ajax should basically be clinched by now but UEFA has other plans. But I wouldn't say they are in trouble. They should be able to beat Valencia and Lille if the corrupt UEFA stays out of the way

DutchFanatic and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed. We'll be okay. Luckily we miss our 2 CB's against Lille and not Valencia, plus we have a +5 goal differential

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It will be Alvarez/Martinez in central defense next game, with Schuurs as backup

8. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Which might be better than Veltman and Blind.

9. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    "Professional sport" has bcome a misnomer these days. Yes, it's professional, but it isn't sport anymore, it's business. What happened tonight is a disgrace to the "jogo bonito" but it was to be expected, especially after what happened in the previous game. Ajax is sending a dangerous message: a club that sells players for 200 mln. trashes a club that buys for much more. What if more clubs start following Ajax's example? They should be discouriged in due time. Might sound like conspiracy, and I hope this the case, but I'm affraid it isn't.

10. I come to the conclusion, given how the refs in two matches against Chelsea screwed Ajax major league, the Swiss Office are trying their best to prevent another year of a mini league trampling through their corrupt bussiness model.

11. Both Lille and Valencia will study this match and come to the conclusion the easy meat is Chelsea. They both will want the 3 points from them, as it's the easiest option. My guess they, after seeing this match, will be upper cautious in the next match against Ajax and opt for a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 formation.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just got finished watching the game as I had a meeting this afternoon. I have to say that I've not seen such a weird set of circumstances that resulted in the two players being sent off. It looked like Blind might have been fouled before he recklessly went in for the second YC. I guess Veltman was sent off for dissent as the hand ball wasn't really deserving of a card. Regardless, the two senior players on the team made huge mistakes in the first half by getting silly YCs when they didn't need to. I hate to be critical but that's what cost the match which Ajax should have won. Props to Onana for some great saves and also for all those on the pitch when Ajax lost their two center defenders.

Some great attacking football in the first half and van de Beek's goal in the second was a thing of beauty. Ajax continued to attack all the way to Alvarez's fine shot that forced a good save. Valencia hammered Lille in the other match and Ajax really need two wins to make sure of things.

Player Ratings:

Onana (8.5) - guessed wrong on both PKs but everything else was top notch
    Tagliafico (7.5) - really fine game and ran hard until the end
    Blind (3) - two YCs from a player who is usually under control
    Veltman (4) = some very good defending but the first YC was just dumb since the player was pressed against the sideline and had no where to go
    Mazraoui (7) - very nice game and he may have gotten his starting spot back
    Martinez (7) - lost some balls that he shouldn't have but decent enough
    van de Beek (8) - just plain better than good and his goal was sublime bringing the ball under control and snapping the ball across the keeper
    Ziyech (9) - best match in an Ajax shirt
    Tadic (7) - really worked hard to control the ball but it was always going to be tough
    Neres (7) - played well and under control
    Promes (8.5) - second only to Ziyech in impact on the night
    Schuurs (6) - stayed strong when he came on and made a couple of good interceptions
    Alvarez (6.5) - got a really fine shot off and defended well

ETH did a great job of preparing the team but was undone by the two sending offs.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Congratulations to both sides on what was a fascinating and bizarre set of games. There were four narrow decisions in these matches and three went our way, so I understand the sense of grievance. However, I also applaud that you didn’t set up shop after being down to 9 men - I suspect neither of us is built for that at the moment. Good luck to you the rest of the way.
    As for the invective thrown our way - all I’ll say is, we’re currently under a transfer ban and are the only club who weren’t permitted to delay it pending an appeal. If you think we’re UEFA darlings, it’s very much news to us :)

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks. It will be really cool if Ajax and Chelsea meet in the CL finals. Ajax will get their revenge. Lampard has really impressed me as a manager; I didn't think he would have the team playing in this style.

nicephoras repped this.
  15. PiTo

PiTo New Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    https://www.vi.nl/pro/wat-ryan-gravenberch-denkt-toe-te-voegen-aan-het-spel-van-ajax

I'll send it here. Firstly, that's amazingly great piece about one of the brightest Ajax's talents in a while (I won't copy it here, cause it's so so so long), and secondly - there's a lot to like about this kid outside of a pitch. I was concerned about him hiring Mino Raiola, but him talking about an extension like almost sure thing makes me feel he won't make a mistake by premature move to one of elite European clubs. And rightfully so, him shining at the Jong Ajax level and getting more and more minutes with first team is amazing for development of any 17yo kid, the next year he'll have a chance to make another step forward.

I remember De Ligt playing regularly in Jong Ajax in first part of his season as 17yo, and then being a starter in second half of a season - I wonder if that's possible to Gravenberch to go through similar path, especially if Ajax reaches +10 advantage over PSV and AZ. Obviously, Ajax right now is better team than it was back then (still, they reached UEL final, but their depth on CB position was weak), but if they get big advantage in a table, I think Ter Haag will be willing to rotate more than normally.

16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The Chelsea morons even injured some of your players

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Neres is out until after the winter break with a meniscus injury suffered against Chelsea.:mad: Don't know what ETH plans to do. Maybe Noa Lang steps in on the wing if they plan to keep the same type of attack with Ziyech at #10. Alternatively, Huntelaar gets a start.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^ I read AjaxShowtime every day and they did not publish that possible lineup. Maybe it was from one of the newspapers. ETH may or may not put that lineup on the pitch tomorrow. I think he is comfortable now with Ziyech at #10. Most of the Jong Ajax players went the full 90 yesterday so I don't know if any will be on the bench tomorrow. Noa Lang was subbed off at 62 minutes and could see some time. Interestingly, Brobbey was on the bench and came on for the final 15 minutes. Don't know what is up with Labyad other than he picks up a paycheck every month. Perhaps he sees some playing time against his old club.

19. FC Utrecht is Ajax' bogey team. More losses and draws than to be expected based on quality difference.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I warmly remember the howler of a game that the current Feyenoord keeper had against Utrecht maybe 6 years ago. It was the worst performance from a GK that I've seen in all my days of watching soccer. Could kick, couldn't save, couldn't play the ball out safely.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    this was the best match Ajax have played this season. Great short passing in the offensive third and were it not for some great play from the Utrecht keeper this could have easily been 8-0. Ajax with 22 shots, 15 on goal; Utrecht by contrast had only 4 shots with none on frame. Onana could not have had an easier match. Ajax had well over 70% of the possession. Remember that Utrecht have been playing well and are in fourth place in the league. Ziyech at #10 has been a great decision from ETH.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6) - had to field a couple of back passes and that was his day
    Tagliafico (8) - not much defending to do but great on offense with decisive passing and a couple of good goal chances
    Blind (7.5) - took a half point off for the not given foul on the high kick but outstanding otherwise
    Veltman (7.5) - not much defending to do on the night and good on the ball
    Mazraoui (7.5) - solid enough
    Martinez (8) - well played in the MF, unlucky not to have scored but then came right back with a solid header off a free kick
    van de Beek (8.5) - great passing and two well taken goals
    Ziyech (8.5) - unbelievably creative on the day
    Promes (7.5) - solid enough for the left winger
    Tadic (9) - MOTM for me with intricate passing, good ball control and a well taken goal
    Labyad (7.5) - did well enough filling in for Neres
    Dest (6.5) - good play coming on for Maz
    Hunelaar (5) - I honestly could not even remember if he had a single touch
    Lang (5.5) - had a some touches coming in late for Labyad

The passing in the first half reminded me of a Jong Ajax game back in 2016 with van de Beek, de Jong, and Nouri in the MF where they strung together over 20 passes in short space before getting the goal. this was the type of football Ajax played today.

Off now for the international break and the entertain Heracles with a trip to Lille in the CL to follow.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax had a practice match against Willem II yesterday and won 6-1. Siem de Jong had a hat trick. Better news is that Hassane Bande saw action and also scored. He's a promising winger who has been out for some time.

In the ESPN FC power ratings that come out every week, Ajax are now in fifth place behind LIverpool, Juve, Borussia Moenchengladbach and Flamengo!!!

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    van der Sar and Overmars both extended their contracts at Ajax. Great news since both have been highly sought after by bigger clubs.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ESPN has their top 100 players listed today. Ajax have Onana, Tagliafico, van de Beek, Neres, and Tadic on the list. ETH is ranked as the 3rd best manager!! Both de Ligt and Frenkie made the list as well. de Ligt is #3 among defenders and de Jong #2 as central MF (behind N'golo Kante).