Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not my team of choice! Over on the US forum they are no longer posting Dest game day threads. ;) I went over to post after the excellent cross. Perhaps they have given up on him.

2. They should double up efforts as Pierie and Sandler are by far superior on what the USA has, while their chances to get in the Orange shirt are dimm.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The short list for the Ballon d'or was announced today. Of the 30 players, FOUR were at Ajax last season!!!!! On the list were Tadic, van de Beek, de Jong and de Ligt. Amazing

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the defensive frailties that were on display all night long were finally punished with a late goal. Dest struggled with the forward on his side throughout and Pulicic toyed with him driving a hard cross that was slotted home by Batchyai who missed badly earlier. this was also a night when the departure of Frenkie de Jong was most apparent as neither Alvarez or Martinez have the ball skills to move the attack forward. Ajax looked sixes and sevens when trying to play the ball up the pitch from the back. Otherwise, it was a pretty even match with Ajax having some chances as well. Ajax will get a chance to even the score in two weeks and ETH should learn some key points.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6) - had one good punch but not much else as balls were constantly being scrambled away from the goal mouth
    Tagliafico (6.5) - Willian was no factor at all in this match and Tagliafico was the best option for bring the ball forward
    Blind (6.5) - decent enough against players that were taller and he subtly kept Abraham from bringing the ball down
    Veltman (6.5) - did a good job
    Dest (4.5) - had some good moments in the offensive zone but weak defending all night long
    Martinez (4.5) - a lot of poor passes
    Alvarez (4.5) - not a good match other than the header that clipped the post
    van de Beek (6.5) - worked hard all match long
    Promes (6.5) - slightest of off sides brought the goal back and tracked back well
    Tadic (6) - not much of a chance to do much
    Ziyech (5) - really not up to standard and dispossessed to often
    Neres (5) - on for Promes but not a factor
    Huntelaar (NR)
    Not Frenkie de Jong (NR)

Feyenoord coming up on the weekend

5. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I've said it a few times but the Alvarez/Martinez midfield pairing is just flat out not good enough technically. They can't pass at the level Ajax needs. Martinez killed tons of attacks with really poor decisions. I was hoping for Pröpper signing in the summer. He would be the perfect fit in the winter if we can sign him.

ten Hag subbing Promes was really strange. I thought he was easily the most dangerous player. I also thought he should have brought on Hunter sooner.

Chelsea was better and IMO deserved the win-- but having a goal disallowed by VAR is infuriating. The line that went up did not go to Promes' shoulder. Also how are we to believe those lines? I thought he looked on. I also can't 100% trust they marked the lines the exact moment that Ziyech played the ball. Nothing about it was "clear and obvious". Another total screw job.

venema20 repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1187063677129842692 is not a valid tweet id

7. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Today really showed how weak the midfield really is. Martinez and Alvarez are obviously solid defensively but they were complete liabilities moving forward. Their passing and decision making was awful. Tadic was also extremely weak today. Really struggled passing the ball. Dest had an extremely poor game and got pushed around before he got beat easily on the goal. The whole backline was sloppy on the goal though and did a poor job of defending.

I thought Donny worked hard but had trouble getting any service. Same thing with Promes. My man of the match would be Tagliafico though. Played pretty solid

8. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Donny should drop deeper, put Promes/Neres in there as well. I thought that was working well.

When they first played the video of the Ziyech pass, it quite frankly did not look close to me. Those photos show Promes was on. What a total screw job.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We have no idea what views VAR had. The fact that VAR took a good minute means they likely had some other views. I realized watching the real time play that the goal was going to be carefully scrutinized by VAR. IMHO, VAR likely got it right.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Even being one millimeter offside is still offside

Orange14 repped this.
  11. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I almost knew right away it was going to be called back when you could see Promes himself had doubts. I'm not a big fan of how precise VAR is and how there are many goals where the 1 mm doesn't make a difference but rules are rules

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax have benefited from VAR a lot;)

13. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Only watched the second half. Chelsea were stronger, faster, and overall hungrier... Ajax OTOH were too casual and sloppy, especially passing in the attacking third. That break-away 2v2 situation involving Tadic was pretty much summed up the game for me. Disappointing overall. Dest struggled to keep up with the physicality and pace of the game.

Blind was my MoTM in the second half. At least he read well, and looked to initiate attack from back.

14. In the Dest threads in the US forum they tell he was very good, apart from two posters with a completely other opinion.
    Can't comment on it as I only saw the last ten minutes. With the goal Dest got beaten the same way he was against RKC. At first I thought it was Mazra's fault, but I missed he was subbed and Dest moved to the left wingback position.
    Anyway, I can't see any future for him as an Orange back at all. There are guys in wait in the Uxx Orange teams, who are far better than him defensively.

Brilliant Dutch and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I drew a red line so you can see it better

[​IMG]

17. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think you’re wrong Brilliant Dutch. In the picture where you drew the red line the ball is already off Ziyech’s foot. Plus that is shot at an angle, look at the line of the 16-box. In the earlier picture you cannot say with certainty that Promes’ arm is over the line because of the angle. Look for example at the arm of the defender, his also looks far over the line from that angle.

Point is that they used/showed the wrong frame and with the correct frame you cannot say with certainty it was offsides. If there is doubt the goal has to stand. It was a ridiculous decision. Ajax got ********ed over, terrible decision. Biases aside they cannot cancel out goals if there is no certainty!

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not in the first image. Supposedly thats the exact time it left Ziyech's foot. In the 2nd image is where the ball has already left his foot.

Anyways, it does no good arguing about this stuff because the call will never be overturned in a million years

19. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Exactly but in the first image you absolutely cannot say with certainty he is offside. Look at the angle of the camera based on the box of 16. Look at the defenders arm which also looks way over the line. With it being this close the angle and exact moment of the shot makes all the difference. They simply cannot say it’s definitely offside, not even with a reasonable doubt. It is completely 50/50. It never should have been canceled.

Obviously now there’s nothing they can do and it will never be overturned. Ajax was shafted and we will have to accept that. But I think it definitely is worth talking about. The VAR needs to be criticized until it performs better. It pisses me off reading british news where they wax lyrical about the Chelsea team and mention nothing of this. Ajax wasn’t good, but Chelsea was extremely lucky given a wrongly disallowed goal and the post hit!

Hopefully Ajax will show up for the next game with a chip on their shoulder. If i’m this irritated i’m sure the Ajax players are livid. They should have been almost guaranteed lf qualification now. Lets hope they learn from this and become better.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One thing we can be sure of - we have no idea what views the VAR used to overturn the goal. I think this is an example of how close things can get and short of eliminating the off sides rule, something we will have to live with. As some of the Ajax players stated post-match, a 0-0 draw would have been a good result. IMO, this was about as even a football match as one will ever see.

Last spring Ajax did not defeat either Real Madrid or Juventus at home and then went away and outplayed both teams. I'm sure ETH learned a bunch from the game yesterday and expect some different tactics in two weeks.

21. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think this will light a fire under the Ajax players and they are gonna come out flying against Chelsea in London. The betting man in me says Ajax comes away with a win there.

But yes, a 0-0 draw would have been a great result and would have put us in a wonderful position to advance, especially considering goal differential and head to head vs Valencia and Lille. The group would have been 7, 4, 4, 1 with Ajax leading. Had the goal counted we almost certainly would have walked away with either a win or a draw, so to a lose the game after an 86th minute goal with all of the controversy feels really bad. If this ends up costing us progression it will forever remain in my memory along with the Lyon-Dinamo occasion as a moment when Ajax was robbed.

It is fine that the VAR made the decision, if it is the right decision I can only stand behind it. But it looks to be the wrong decision and the fact that the VAR has not come out with a clear statement proves that they know they cannot guarantee it was the right decision! There needs to be transparency. They either need to post the clip/image they used to make the decision or they need to admit to making a mistake. But radio silence and hoping it snows over is a ridiculous strategy. If VAR is to succeed there must be transparency!

22. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    DutchFanatic repped this.
  24. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It definitely wont be, how could they overturn it? It is a moment that changed the entire course of the game.

We were robbed and the VAR made a ridiculously unnecessary decision that will have big implications for Ajax. Chances of us advancing are now in jeopardy and ending #1 is much less likely meaning that even if we do advance we will face a much stronger team.

I for one am pissed. Horrible horrible decision.