Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Missed the game unfortunately. How was it? Were there lots of chances for both sides?

How were the young Dutch PSV players like Malen, Ihattaren and Gakpo?

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was a boring game.
    Iha and Gakpo were okay.
    Malen's 1-1 finish was good, Gakpo with a nice assisted pass

3. From the highlights, which werenot much of a highlight at all it must have been boring.
    It was ridiculous how the PSV goal came into being. It was on the PSV left side crowded with players from Ajax and PSV but the ball got managed by PSV through all those players standing around.
    Well, Ihattaren confirmed why he should be in the Orange line up already now at 17 yo. Malen confirmed that when a chance is given it's almost certain a goal. Gakpo did in the few minutes he got well enough as he assisted Malen to the goal.

4. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Amazing. Lets hope Koeman just sucks it up and calls up Ihattaren! Even if Ihattaren denies it at the moment (apparently his dad is sick) at least it will show the intent from Oranje. Or at least sit with Ihattaren, Koeman.

5. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'm very interested if Eiting ever gets back to full fitness and health what ten Hag will do.

I rate Eiting a lot higher than most but Eiting is a better passer than both. But those two are way more physical. But if you drop Alvarez to RCB, and put Eiting into the MF, that could work against weaker opponents you need to break down.

Draw was fair. I'm a little worried about the DMs defensively. They seem to lose guys who make runs into the box. Then again Martinez/Alvarez are still pretty new to the position so that'll take time.

PSV's young attacking talent is pretty damn good. I've loved watching Malen the times I've seen him for PSV. He's awesome. I wish Ajax still had him. Ihattaran has a chance to be a special player too.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ETH likes him as a player and he was a starter at the beginning of last season and saw regular action until he was injured.

7. He has had coffee with him already, so..
    Koeman heeft al koffie gedronken met PSV-talent Ihattaren ...

https://nos.nl › ...

18 mrt. 2019 - Natuurlijk ging het ook bij de persconferentie van bondscoach Ronald Koeman eerst over de situatie in Utrecht, waar bij een schietincident ...

8. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Yeah... I thought the plan last year was for him to replace Schöne until he got hurt.

I think Eiting + Martinez or Alvarez would be a really good double pivot. Eiting is a great passer/dribbler and Martinez/Alvarez would provide a lot of bite plus pace that Eiting lacks. Let's just hope he can stay healthy.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We will see about Eiting. I always felt he was a touch too slow to play at a really high level. Three years ago the Jong Ajax team had one of the best MFs I've ever seen with Nouri, van de Beek and de Jong. They could string together 20 passes in tight spaces without missing a beat and were often playing against veteran teams in the Dutch first division. Even though Bosz was taking the senior team to the Europa League finals, the Jong team was far more interesting to watch.

10. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    anybody following juan familia castillo at Jong Ajax.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He started at LB the other day. There are often streams of Jong Ajax matches but I've not watched them play since he moved back over. I suspect that he is being groomed for LB when Tagliafico leaves.

12. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was more interested in finding whether he is on the level of breaking into the Ajax first team regardless off tagliafico or no.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #439 Orange14, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    To early to tell. Dest is probably the cover at LB along with Blind at this point.

EDIT: He did train with the first team yesterday.

14. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    #440 wynaldaisagod, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    XI v Fortuna: Onana; Tagliafico, Blind, Veltman, Dest; Alvarez, Marin; Promes, van de Beek, Neres; Tadic

Gravenbersh on the bench! Hope to see him tonight. Ekklenkamp the only other interesting youth player who is in the squad.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Stifled in the first half by some resolute Fortuna defending the goals poured in during the second along with the rain as the Arena roof remained mysteriously open. Promes with a hat trick, Neres with a poacher's goal off of a nice assist from Huntelaar, and an own goal off of a nice looping pass into the box from Gravenberch. Onana was hardly troubled other than a bizarre venture way outside the box on a break only to see Blind get back and clear the ball (not clear to me that it was on target but even so props to Blind). Ziyech and Martinez got the evening off and Alvarez came out after a very ordinary first half. van de Beek back in the team and went 70 minutes.

Player ratings:

Onana (5) - really dumb move to come out so far and really should have been punished with a goal
    Tagliafico (6.5) - bandaged up with a swim cap after first half collision with the keeper had a decent match
    Blind (8) - had as fine a game as a defender can have and pure joy to watch him pass the ball
    Veltman (7) - decent enough but got a way with a push on the Fortuna striker who then got a YC for 'justifiable' dissent
    Dest (6.5) - good except on the two occasions he didn't recognize the overlap and was beaten
    Alvarez (5.5) - disappointingly ordinary
    Marin (7) - really solid match and it was his rocket shot parried by the keeper that Promes cashed in on
    van de Beek (7) - a good 70 minute run out and active all over the field
    Promes (7.5) - good movement in the offensive area and awareness of where the ball was going to
    Tadic (7) - good interior passing but in the end he did not tie the great Cruyff's record of goals in 13 straight home matches
    Neres (7) - decent enough
    Huntelaar (7) - good on the ball and his headed pass for Neres to poke it in was sublime
    Gravenberch (6) - gets a nice assist on the OG
    Schuurs (NR) - on late for Dest and had some touches

Groningen, who lost to PSV tonight, come to the Arena on Saturday and then Ajax off to Spain to play Valencia.

16. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Blind was absolutely incredible. He never seems to get the praise he deserves but he was everywhere.

I think the best midfield for Ajax includes van de Beek playing deeper and getting Promes on the field to play with the front 4. I liked how ten Hag tried that out in the second half (obviously with KJH on instead of Ziyech). Against weaker opponents, he could do it with Marin. Against better attacking opponents, I'd like to see him with Martinez as the deeper midfielders.

Orange14 repped this.
  17. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    XI tonight: Onana; Mazraoui, Veltman, Blind, Tagliafico; Martinez, van de Beek; Neres, Promes, Ziyech; Tadic

Love that front 4 + Donny in the XI. I think part of a managers job is to figure out how to get the best XI on the field and obviously Promes/van de Beek are 2 of the best 11 players in the squad.

I also think Donny will be able to connect the front 4 better than we've seen from Alvarez/Martinez.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax thoroughly dominated the match as Groningen opted to drop 9 men deep to defend. Though Ajax were passing the ball well, they found it difficult to put any of the 32 shots on frame. It took a time wasting YC on former Ajax youth Django Wammerdam, his second of the match and then sent off, to get Ajax untracked. A very nice strike by Martinez was the match winner and Huntelaar off a nice pass from van de Beek added the insurance. Ajax will face a double bank defense in most of the their upcoming league matches as it's the only way teams can keep this attack under control. Off to Spain now for the Wednesday CL game in Valencia.

Player Ratings:

Onana (7) - not much to do but watch and then react when one of the two counters came his way; he had to make a save on one and watch the other sky over the frame
    Taliafico (7) - feisty match and pushed way up the pitch
    Blind (7) - another fine match
    Veltman (7) - a little too high up the pitch on the first Groningen break
    Mazraoui (7) - good to see him back playing and decent before tiring and coming off
    Martinez (7.5) - nice shot for the match winner and generally controlled the deep MF
    van de Beek (7) - played a little deeper with Promes also in the MF, very nice assist on the Huntelaar goal
    Promes (7) - had some shots but they were always a shade off the frame
    Ziyech (7) - all over the pitch with a couple of good shots on goal
    Tadic (7) - generally good but couldn't hook up through the congested back line
    Neres (6) - not impactful on the night
    Huntelaar (6.5) - nicely taken goal and had a couple of headers that didn't pose a problem
    Dest (6.5) - lots of speed coming in for the last 20 minutes and started the passing that led to the 2nd goal
    de Jong (NR) - on late for Tadic

19. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    That was incredibly boring. I don't think Ajax was 100% into it with CL coming up plus that midweek match.

I give Groningen credit: I think that is how you have to play Ajax in Amsterdam. Just clog the passing lanes, force long shots and play with a physical 9 who can cause troubles.

It was a short run but Siem looked so bad. I'm curious what the deal is there with him and Labyad. Evidently Labyad refused a transfer. But just dead weight at this point. Guess with a JA match on Friday that Ekklenkamp couldn't get time (and de Wit gone too).

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Labyad was the first transfer brought in after ETH (who managed him at Utrecht) came over to Ajax in mid-season. I can't be sure but I think he has a four year contract and maybe he just wants to be the Winston Bogarde of Ajax, showing up to practice and collecting a paycheck. He might get playing time in a Cup match but unless there are injuries he won't play. I honestly don't know why they bought de Jong. He's on a three year contract that I think expires at the end of this year.

21. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And what’s the point of bringing on De Jong late? Use those minutes for youth prospects please!

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They played the day before for Jong Ajax.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  23. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I have a conspiracy theory: Labyad was a "ten Hag" tax. We will give you ten Hag if you buy Labyad for 5m. He was worth 2m at most at that point. A good Eredivisie player-- but not good enough to play for Ajax.

As sad as this is to remember: Siem was brought in as an emergency replacement for Nouri.

24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands