Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not official yet and I really don't understand it. I cannot see him playing in the MF as there are too many players there right now. Is this going to be a LB experiment like with Sinkgraven?

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Its all gonna depend on what odds they give

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Orange14 repped this.
  4. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Castillo is a fullback though? Not really an experiment.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is what I've been reading.

6. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dani De Wit to AZ officially. I think it's very good move for Dani himself in the first place. He is going to waer no. 10 jersey with AZ, develop under an excellent coach in Arne Slot, get much more Eredivisie playing time, and his spot shouldn't really be competitive with Til already gone to Russia. Wish him the best.

7. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As for Castillo, I remember seeing some clips for him with Chelsea wearing no. 11 jersey, so he is probably a converted winger or a wing-back. He is probably a future replacement for Tagliafico. It's a loan deal with an option to buy.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax have Salah-Eddine in the youth ranks who is looking like a promising LB. I wonder what the impact of bringing in all these new players will have on those in the system. Will they decide to leave Ajax at an earlier age?

9. It could influence kids when they've got the choice between AZ or Ajax academy or the capability of Ajax to lure away talents from other academies.

10. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    gabrielguilarte repped this.
  11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Slow out of the blocks in the first twenty minutes and too sloppy in the final twenty didn't hamper Ajax as they scored four times for an easy 1-4 win over Sparta. A nice pass over the top by Martinez led to the first one and then Tadic with a great move and through pass to set up the second were the major highlights. Ajax again dominated possession 65-35 and had more shots than Sparta.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6.5) - really hardly anything to do
    Tagliafico (6.5) - OK match from the LB
    Blind (7) - strong defending inside the penalty area
    Veltman (7) - also strong inside defending poking the ball away on several occasions
    Dest (6.5) - one great play to disrupt a Sparta break away but just above average the rest of the time
    Martnez (7) - outstanding pass to pick out Promes for the first goal and maybe he stays in MF now
    Alvarez (6) - good for 70 minutes and then too sloppy with his passing
    Ziyech (7.5) - very nice game with two balls in the net
    Promes (7) - made some good runs going the full 90
    Tadic (7.5) - nice ball control in tight spaces again and on target from the spot
    Neres (5.5) - disappointing match, posing some danger on only a couple of occasions
    Mazraoui (6) - on for a half hour and decent at LB
    Huntelaar (5.5) - little impact on the match
    Lang (5.5) - lots of speed but he has to harness it

No match next weekend because of the international break

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Seldom used CD Lisandro Magallan moves to Alaves on a one year loan. He was always a step too slow to play for Ajax.

14. There's a bit of hyping going on in certain Ajax forum about Dest and Mazraoui. They're hyping Dest to the hilt and putting down Mazra.
    To put it bluntly, if the Sparta strikers werenot wasteful in the first twenty minutes the mood would be completely different. Both Dest and Blind can say thanks on their knees that the chaos in that time when Sparta was constant in the attack no goals were scored.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    538 do a very good job on ratings -- last year they had Ajax as a favorite over RM/Juve going into those knockout ties: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/champions-league/

The by far biggest strength of the draw is Chelsea is the 2nd weakest team out of pot 1. Most other teams (MC, Liv, Barca, Bayern, Juve maybe PSG) in that pot are automatics to make the Round of 16. The downside is Valencia is one of the stronger pot 3 teams and they didn't get one of the really weak pot 4 teams. But I like the draw a lot. Lille is very close to Amsterdam too which should be a fun match.

They have Ajax 69% to advance. They actually have the best chance to win the group (39%).

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^ Ajax are in ESPN commentator Shaka Hislop's top ten for the third week in a row (either 9 or 10, I cannot remember). Ajax just have to play their brand of football and they will do alright.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I still think our midfield is a problem (without Frenkie)

wilson00 repped this.
  18. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I think the idea was just replace Frenkie with Marin. That was a major error. They should have gone after someone like Pröpper instead who has proven himself at a higher level. I've actually been really encouraged by his last couple appearances but his decision making is too slow.

The idea that Mazrouai could just move into the midfield was wrong too. He isn't a good enough passer. Blind can't cover enough ground with a slower MF next to him too and I'm glad they put him back as LCB.

Not paying Schöne and thus forcing his transfer was a mistake too. He is so underrated. That APOEL second leg, the difference in quality of his passing/set piece taking compared to what we had in the MF was shocking.

I like they put Martinez into he MF. His bite, energy and pace are all much needed. I think he's not a bad passer... if you pair him with Marin, I think you could have something there. I don't think Alvarez has enough quality technically to be a DM with Martinez but I think he could be a great RCB.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think the MF is still a work in progress and other than van de Beek, it is still unclear which players will be consistent starters. The transfer of Schöne was a good thing for Ajax as he no longer could play 90 minutes and always was a defensive liability. His ball handling was often too slow.

20. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'd agree if there were proven MF options but there aren't beyond Donny. Schöne was still good enough to provide 30 min off the bench or start for 60 min. That is really valuable.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Serginho Dest extends his contract to 2022. van de Beek and Mazraoui are injured and out of tomorrow's match against Heerenveen

22. I understood Maz was kept out to save him for the Lille confrontation.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He suffered an injury in the Morocco U-23 match last week. It's not supposed to be severe but we'll see. Don't know where he will play against Lille. Dest looks like first choice RB and Alvarez and Martinez are the DMs.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    After a troublesome first half, Ajax played some of the finest tight space passing football to easily pull away to win 4-1. ETH gave some rest to Neres who only came on in the 2nd half, Tadic and Promes who each subbed off in the 2nd half. Onana missed his clean sheet because of a Blind error and had to be lively in the first half but had little to do after the intermission.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6.5) - alert saves in the first half and then almost nothing in the 2nd
    Tagliafico (7.5) - two wonderful goals and his game was marred only by a reckless block that drew Yellow
    Blind (6.5) - big blunder on the Heerenveen goal and then settled down as Ajax possession football left little defending to do
    Schuurs (6) - nicely take goal and two very good cross field passes didn't do enough to cover up some defensive lapses
    Veltman (7) - more involved up field than I can ever remember and solid enough passing the ball
    Martinez (6.5) - good enough
    Alvarez (7) - very solid on the night and I cannot think of one bad pass
    Promes (7) - super active on offense
    Tadic (7) - some great passing in tight spaces
    Huntelaar (6) - other than the ricochet free kick pretty quiet
    Ziyech (8) - MOTM for me as he popped up all over the field and his passing was exceptional
    Neres (6) - good with the ball in the 20 minutes he had on the field
    Marin (NR) - on late for Alvarez
    Siem de Jong (NR) - on very late for the first time in an Ajax kit since leaving the club four years ago

Home to Lille in the first CL group match on Tuesday!!!!