Suruga Bank Championship

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Andrés_, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    What's wrong with this cup? Would you rather see them go to another Federation? Whatever brings more exposure to CL and SA teams and TV coverage the better.

3. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    That's good,
    it'll give the Copa Sudamerican a little more prestige.

Besides, the Copa Intercontinental has been played in Japan for decades.

4. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My problem with this cup mainly is from where comes the rival, it would have been better, yet more complicated if they would've picked the UEFA Cup winner, or even for exposure issues, the AFC Champions League winner, but they pick the japanese League Cup winner?

Although seeing Arsenal's condition this year they'll have their asses handed to them by Gamba Osaka.

5. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    1.- It's all about money
    2.- The japanese league has a very good level.
    I didn't know about this until I saw some highlights in Fox Soccer Channel and it looked like they were playing at a similar level to the mexican, argentinian or brazilian league.

6. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes the japanese league must be the closest thing outside of Europe to the southamerican leagues that's true, but i don't know for some reason the japanese league cup winner doesn't convince me and my opinion it would make it a more serious thing if it was the asian champion.

And of course it'll help the exposure, if that JFA guy said is true that they show the Libertadores there, then this cup could eventually lure them to look the Sudamericana, to know their rival beforehand.

Now it wouldn't hurt if in South America they did actually show anything about the J-League.:mad:

7. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    it's not an official tournament anyways (i.e. not realized as official by FIFA)

8. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you sure? Because it was said the same about the Copa Masters and the Copa de Oro, and they ended counting them as official.:confused:

9. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    i thought it was more like a friendly thing, but with Grondona there he might want to make it official for his poor little Arsenal

10. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I was pretty sure this wasn't an official tournament. I agree that playing against the Japanese Champion is not an outstanding incentive but at least it will bring Copa Sudamericana some tipe of international exposure. With time it could become a tournament with some relevance. :D

11. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    i dont think Arsenal getting killed by a Japanese team will bring it prestige :( :p

12. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It still seems surreal that Arsenal won it, when teams like America, Sao Paulo, Bica, River, Millonarios and Colo Colo were playing it. Almost seems like a bad joke (?).

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, if you see the current form of Arsenal then yes it's a joke. But the Arsenal of last year played a lot different, way better. Even in the Apertura they defeated both Boca and River, where they didn't do that well, and later in the cup they also defeated River on penalties.

14. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    well, FIFA doesn't even recognize the old Intercontinental Cup, so it's worthless what they say :D