Surprise teams at Brazil 2014???

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think a Colombia or a Bosnia may surprise many at Brazil 2014. Perhaps Chile. Would love to see Montenegro qualify also and have a good run. Belgium and Russia could also go deep but I don't know how big a shock that will be. When i say go far I mean Semi Finals max these teams couldn't win it especially Bosnia. The semi finals usually throws up one surprise team with the likes of Bulgaria, Sweden, Croata, Turkey and South Korea making it in the past.

2. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should follow more CONMEBOL WC qualifying. Chile has not looked good.

3. maniak

maniak Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Portugal
    Bosnia? Really? Every time I see them they look pretty average.

4. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I do. And you are right. However if they get there could do some damage like Uruguay pre 2010 when they needed away goals to edge past Costa Rica to get there in a playoff game. Made the semis. Qualification and tournament itself is a different ball game.

5. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dzeko.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The aggregate between Uruguay and Costa Rica was 2-1. It didn't go to away goals.

7. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Fair enough. Point was Uruguay needed a playoff birth to clinch a spot at the world cup.

For anyone not sure about the question understand '' Surprise '':confused:

8. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should actually watch the matches instead of reading the results
    Uruguay 2010 were a fast side and if you saw them play during WC qualification you would of know they would do damage
    I do not see it in Chile this time around

For me it is Belgium, Colombia and Switzerland

9. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Belgium or Montenegro. Maybe Iran or Uzbekistan.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iran was in World Cups 1998 and 2006. Would they be a suprise team?

11. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    No. They are struggling to qualify, let alone being a surprise team

12. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  13. Tyler Buchman

Tyler Buchman New Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    then what are you basing your prediction on?

14. Tyler Buchman

Tyler Buchman New Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Panama the chance to qualify for their first EVER world cup... Most of their players play in Central America and don't have European/MLS experience, and therefore I can't see them holding on and qualifying above the likes of Mexico, USA, and a more experienced Honduras side... They have a lot of upside and have already defeated Honduras 2 0 earlier in the Hex but the inexperience showed in the match before that with a 1-1 draw at Jamaica...

With a tough next 3 matches vs Mexico, at USA (Seattle), and at Costa Rica I cannot see them coming out of the first two with more than 1 point while I see (for the 3 matches) Honduras taking 6-7 points, the USA taking 5-7 points (I have to stay humble though I would love to say 9 ;) ), and Mexico taking 7-9 points...

This of course leaves the already dying and soon to be buried Jamaica, and more importantly (no disrespect to the Reggae Boyz) Costa Rica, who play Honduras, at Mexico, and the all important Panama... Again I cant see Costa Rica getting more than 1 point (and only because they play Honduras at home do they have a small shot at 1 point) before entering the match vs Panama... Earlier these teams drew 2-2 in Panama... If we look past this match both are vs USA and at Honduras, but Panama plays vs Jamaica, at Mexico and Costa Rica plays vs Mexico, at Jamaica... In the end I see both sides clinging only to points against Jamaica and maybe a draw somewhere else...

Meaning Costa Rica vs Panama is the virtual decider (especially if Panama wins) for 4th place and a shot at WC '14 with only New Zealand in the way... I do see Panama taking this match and easily defeating New Zealand, meaning a first ever WC birth and certainly a surprise team in Brazil... Panama will have gained valuable experience from these qualifiers and they already have the skills to make an impact at WC '14.

15. rabustam04

rabustam04 Member

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ecuador! Great generation of young footballers there. Valencia, Benitez, Noboa, Montero

16. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Would Belgium or Colombia making the QF or semi finals really be a surprise? Everyone has Belgium on their radar by now and the SA posters are talking about Colombia for almost two years.

17. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hmm.. looks like you're setting yourself up for a shock, then. So no chance for CR to win at home even though they can arguably put up a better squad? Interesting.

18. Tyler Buchman

Tyler Buchman New Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Honduras's strikers and midfield are just too good for Costa Rica's defense... but of course that is why the match is played on the field! ;)

19. WorldCup Joe

WorldCup Joe New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    I would say Belgium is the number one surprise for 2014, not that they are going to win the cup but i wouldn't be surprised if they reached the quarter finals. Bosnia relies to much on Dzeko alone, the will probably qualify but i don't see them making it to the round-of-16.

20. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Colombia have a nice squad from top to bottom, Mexico and one of the African teams could surprise.

[]__[]

21. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

This is pretty much a given.

22. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a surprise semi finalist require being a quality side and being lucky enough to avoid facing superpowers in the knockout stage. The luck of the draw is crucial. Look at Sweden in '94, Turkey in '02 and Uruguay in '10 - none of them beat any superpowers and all of them reached the semifinal via a path arranged for the underpar seeded hosts. Bulgaria would have been knocked out of the first round in 1994 if not for the Maradona situation. Looking at the last twenty years, The only surprise teams to reach the semis via an upset have done so while politically motivated (bulgaria/croatia vs germany. GER always have trouble vs eastern europe, even in 2010 with serbia) or have benefited from home field advantage (South Korea). Also Germany themselves, 2002 surprise finalists, did so without facing a single superpower until the final. Teams who are surprise winners of the group of death (denmark 86, mexico 94, nigeria 98, sweden 02) are eliminated in the very next round. So it's very difficult to guess where the dark horse will come from until the draw is made and the path is revealed. I thought Ivory Coast would be potential dark horses, but they were drawn in an impossible group with Brazil and Portugal.
    having said that, if we have a surprise semifinalist in this south american world cup, I suspect it will be a team from the Americas. Mexico and Colombia stand out obviously. Japan could also be one such team as they often have ties with brazil

Unak78 repped this.
  23. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    My pick is Belgium. They have a final worthy squad. Look more disgusting than Holland.

Germany, Belgium, Brazil, Spain for the last 4

Argentina's defense and goaltending is terrible

24. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Meh I still think Holland is better than Belgium. They don't have world-class players like Van Persie, Robben (or a fit Sneijder, maybe Van der Vaart) who can decide a match. Hazard comes closest but still hasn't impress me enough. They are all near their 30's so basically still in their prime period. The Belgian defense looks stronger but they don't seem to have real wingbacks. I should know because Vertonghen and Alderweireld who played/play in the Eredivisie are better suited as central defenders.

Yes it's true they beat us in a meaningless friendly last year but that was right after the big failure of EURO 2012. We didn't take it very serious but found it useful to try out some unproven players which resulted in a lot of substitions during the match on which the Belgians took advantage. Since then our team has gone through a few mutations and now the first eleven is more or less known. Don't get me wrong. I don't think we have any chance to win this World Cup but on a good day we can compete.

Spain, Germany, Brazil (with their home advantage) will be too much but I'm not afraid of the others.

sXeWesley repped this.
  25. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brazil will surprise a lot I guess.. but on the negative