Alert: Surprise Callup for World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Dec 17, 2013.

?

Who do u prefer as a "surprise Callup" ?

1. Kevin Grosskreutz

10.0%
  2. Pierre Lasogga

35.0%
  3. Kevin Volland

5.0%
  4. Tony Jantschke

5.0%
  5. Timo Werner

20.0%
  6. Serge Gnabry

20.0%
  7. Jonathan Tah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Matthias Ginter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sebastian Jung

5.0%
  10. Bastian Oczipka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    There are some serious need up top and at the fullback. If Loew is gonna bring in one "surprise callup", Who would u guys prefer?

The list looks interesting because players like Grosskreutz n Lasogga not only hv a great season but also fit the need; Tah n Gnabry are both being approached by Ivory Coast so Loew may wanna cap them; Timo Werner n Volland hv tremendous potential; n of coz Jantschke is another solid defender who can play every position at the backline, and we apparently need a defensive oriented fullback

Interesting to see who u guys vote

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    TIMO WERNER AND KEVIN GROßKREUTZ TO BRAZIL! Do it Löw: you know its the right thing to do.

3. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Jung got a vote?

4. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/pierre-michel-lasogga/traeumt-von-der-wm-33876460.bild.html

I think Lasogga is already in the mix(national pool).

Very logical choice as 4th striker after Klose, Gomez n Kruse. Gomez will be out till Feb 2014, whether he can gain his form in time is a big question mark now; Kruse is good player but i also notice what he can provide isnt much different to Mueller or Reus

I hv done some research on Lasogga,

Pros:

- Very mobile n active not only inside the box but also on the flanks (mainly left)
    - Surprisingly good build-up game especially for a player of his size, decent passer
    - Hustles like a xxxx, plays great defense for a striker
    - Clincial finisher inside the box, always a threat to the opponent n rarely misses chances
    - Great positioning n scoring instinct, always in the right place at the right time
    - Can score in SO many ways, from long shots to headers to volleys to first-touch finish
    -decent fundamental and good ball control
    - Can play very physical if needed, apparently due to his size

I think some of his strengths can benfit the NT enormously n provide a different dimension to the team n be an X-factor when the team struggles with their False 9(still nota guarantee).

The team has enough creativity, agility n mobility up front, but execution is lacking. Lasogga can score in MANY ways, n very clinical when he rare misses easy chance like Oezil/Goetze does. They key is, he plays differently to Gomez, he is more versatile/mobile n more involved in build-up games.

Unlike Barcelona (have the best finisher in the history of the game in Messi as False 9) n Brazil (Hulk who has all the CF atributes to compromise thier weak CF), we dont have such personnel. I think its crucial for Loew to bring in 2 strikers in case False 9 really fails as i predicted. Lasogag n Klose are my two choices/

5. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My prediction: If Lasogga has an outstanding season, say scoring 19-20 goals in total, Lowe will pick him to go to a selection camp where he will decide the final 23.

7. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will Lasogga's personality gel with the rest of the team? If we want to guess whether Low is interested in his service, we need to ask this question. I don't think he fits into the team at all because he is too hot headed for a rookie team member.

I'm certain Grosskreutz will be picked, along with Volland. These are not late, first-time call-ups, and the only two out of the candidates with some consistency over more than one season. KG will be behind Lahm and deputize if Lahm shifts to DM. Volland and Kruse are a must to go to World Cup as our usual two strikers have been out of form for too long and cannot be relied on.

8. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    I definitely think he won't take Kruse, Volland and Lasogga. I can't even picture him leaving Gomez and Klose at home, but if he does, he will certainly take two of the other three along. As a Hamburg fan I'm obviously rooting for Lassoga, but I also believe that if he can keep up his run, his chances will be good, because he brings a certain physicality to the mix that none of the other strikers (apart from Klose when in form) or offensive midfielders have (as noted above by Kirsten, and @VLAD, I don't see how he's a hothead).

But Loew will not mainly be looking at the goals scored. So we'll just have to see what he comes up with and how Gomez and Klose are recuperating. If they can get anywhere near in shape, they will definitely go. If it were up to me and the form of players right now, I would take Lassoga and play with a 1-4-2-3-1 system alternating between Lasogga and Mueller as strikers (or false nine in Mueller's case), with Kruse as backup. But that's just me.

Kirsten19 repped this.
  9. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I voted for Jantschke, doubt he'll actually be the "surprise" callup since Jogi loves his attackers but our defense is very inconsistent. Even though Mertesacker is having probably the best season of his career, wouldn't mind another defender in 23 man squad

10. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Kevin Volland and Timo Werner, though Werner has a lot of strong competitors.

11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Werner has played up top for Stuttgart in last few weeks, when Vfb played 4-4-2 with Werner n Ibisevic up front.

When Werner plays at his natural position as CF, I don't think he has many competitors at his position at all

12. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    We should never forget Serge Gnabry when talking about the surprise callup. He just started for Arsenal against Tottenham tonight and put in an excellent display, garnering heaps of praise (Arsenal won 2-0). It looks like Walcott got injured slightly and will sit out for a few weeks. This is unfortunate for him, but also means that Gnabry may see much more playing time over the coming weeks. Go Serge!

Epitome990 repped this.
  13. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gnabry has really impressed me everytime I've seen him play for Arsenal. He is at the right club for his development.

14. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
  15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow. That's really good. Admittedly, I didn't see the whole game, but some of that stuff was just brilliant. Taking on players with exceptional confidence, creating chances, moving well, etc. Are we watching a 19-year-old youngster, or a 27-year-old seasoned vet in his prime? Gnabry well-and-truly just seems to get better and better as Wenger keeps on giving him chances. I'd still rather see Werner or Großkreutz regardless as the "surprise" callup, but if Gnabry keeps performing, he may merit a glance or two from Löw.

Epitome990 repped this.
  16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Gnabry may play for Ivory Coast. It's no guarantee

17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If he does, I'm not mad. Max Meyer or Julian Brandt are just as good, but nonetheless, I think he should wait for Germany's call. He's still very young, and he can afford to keep his options open for this WC. Germany's depth chart isn't impossible to crack; Podolski and Schürrle are regulars, and Gnabry's ceiling is higher than both of them.

Epitome990 repped this.
  18. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Walcott out for six months, probably more playing time for Gnabry

19. Ricken

Ricken Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sidney Sam, You heard it here first.

goindownsouth and nekkibasara repped this.
  20. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...r-quot-schmerzgrenze-quot-130608148--sow.html

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...st-enger-zusammengerueckt.html#omsearchresult

21. Coldblood6

Coldblood6 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think surprise call ups will be a tricky thing. There's tons of talent on the NT. As it is right now some big players are going to be left at home. A surprise call up implies leaving someone deserving of going. IMO at this time this would be my squad:

Neuer, Weidenfeller, Trapp

Lahm, Mertesacker, Boateng, Jansen, Hummels, Westerrmann, Schmelzer

Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Muller, Ozil, Reus, Gotze, L.Bender, Gundogan, Schurrle, Draxler, Sam

Klose, Kruse

With this squad here are the players who would be left out:
    S.Bender, Podolski, Gomez, Khedira, Badstuber, Howedes

Who are you going to leave out to put in a surprise call up. My only sacrifice, which will probably not be well recieved would be Pierre-Michel Lasogga for Klose (or Kruse).

22. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If Gomez is still missing games, i think his chance is slim. But i also think Kruse's function n strengths is too similar to Mueller/Reus/Goetze, so he isnt really needed in the setup. Klose n Lasogga can both provide something different than what we already hv, so our team can play another tactic if the "false 9" experiment fails against certain opponents. We need a plan B and another dimension

I'll take Howedes ahead of Westermann, i think both are similar in terms of quality, Westermann ma be more versatile but Howedes has mroe upside so its a scratch

My team (no right or wrong):

GK) Neuer, Weidenfeller, ter Stegen

DF) Lahm, Hummels, Howedes, Mertesacker, Boateng, Schmelzer, M.Jansen

MF) L.Bender, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Gundogan, Kroos, Oezil, Goetze, Mueller, Reus, Draxler, Schuerrle

FW) Klose, Lasogga

Backup:

GK) Adler
    DF) Grosskreutz, Westermann, Ginter, Wollscheid
    MF) Sam, Podolski, S.Bender, Gnabry, Kramer
    FW) Kruse, Gomez, Volland

Verdict:
    so the only surprise is Lasogga. If Gomez fails to find his old form in florentina in the remaining time, i doubt he'll be called up. He has already missed half of the season....Kiessling is done as long as Loew remains as coach. Kruse, as i've said, his strengths is too similar to our AMs like Reus/Goetze/Mueller and doesnt offer another dimension to our game

Lasogga or Volland is fine to me. I think Volland is strong (very stocky), mobile, more versatile as well as having the require finishing ability, scoring instinct n back-to-goal technique of a striker. but i think Lasogga's physique/size, passion n determination together with his superior aerial ability n first-touch finishing off dribble will be needed in this team, espeically when all our other attackers are kinda "soft". We need that "fire", confidence n passion from Lasogga.

Former NT players like Bobic, Cacau n Thomas Schneider all think timo Werner has a chance tho. I think Werner n Volland are pretty similar players

23. Coldblood6

Coldblood6 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I use the whoscored ratings alot in my evaluation of players and Max Kruse is in the top 10 across all of Europe's big leagues. It's difficult for me to dismiss him, although he doesn't seem to gel well with the other NT attacking players so far. This may improve with time.

Like you I am a great admirer of Lasogga and agree wrt to all of his positive traits. I think we need to see him play for the NT before saying he should be in the squad which is why I think he should really play against Chile.

I like Timo Verner as well but I think this WC is too soon for him. I don't have a proper opinion of Volland. I thought he was crap in the Euro under-21, but he may have improved since then.

24. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Being a great Hamburg fan I would like to chime in once more on behalf of Lassogga.

He is now the German striker with the most goals scored for the season, the tally right for German strikers right now looks as follows (on the pure goal side it looks like a close race, but I have included the minutes-on-the-field-per-goal stats and then it's not close at all):

Lassogga: 11 goals (109 minutes)
    Andre Hahn (Augsburg): 10 goals (187 minutes)
    Kießling: 10 goals (one goal a penalty shot, 186 minutes)
    Thomas Müller: 10 goals (3 penalties, 154 minutes, obviously he'll go as a midfielder anyway)
    Sidney Sam: 8 goals (143 minutes)
    Nicolai Müller: 8 goals (204 minutes)
    Volland: 8 goals (227 minutes)
    Reus: 8 goals (3 penalties, 189 minutes, he'll go as a midfielder anyway)
    Kruse: 8 goals (3 penalties, 247 minutes)

http://www.fussballtransfers.com/bundesliga/torschuetzenliste

Lassoga's stats are nothing short of amazing. Werner is not even on the list. Gomez and Klose are still not fully fit. Gnabry will not see enough playing time at Arsenal to make a real impact. It's too early for him. Sam looks good, too and Kruse has an advantage, already having been called up a few times already, same as Sam. But if Lassogga keeps this up and if he stays fit until the summer, I don't see how Löw can afford to not take him along. Plus Lassogga is a pure striker, great nose for positioning, great work-rate, decent on the ball and he scores just about in every game, regardless of the performance of the team around him.

Kirsten19 repped this.
  25. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Agree. What Lasogga impressed me the most was his ability to create, build-up and hold-up on the offensive end. He can also provide the lacked back-to-goal ability and aggressiveness (our attackers lack "fire" and kinda "soft")

In the transfermarkt forum, they called Lasogga the "mittelding" between Klose and Gomez. Since Lasogga has bit of Klose's mobility, build-up game and creativity while having Gomez's lethality, clincal finishing, physique and killer instinct. And I think he is the missing puzzle of this team

Relying on False 9 is a strategy but it may not work against all teams, especially when the team lack aerial ability and the lethality inside the box. What is the plan B? Someone like Lasogga and Klose are still needed in the roster

Volland is just 5'10.5", kinda undersized for a center forward but he is extremely strong n physical like a Brahma Bull, can be our version of Suarez/Rooney/Tevez/Aguero/Diego Forlan . I also see him having some outside chance, don't forget Cacau managed to play CF for our NT (performed relatively well) even being just as undersized as Volland. Volland is also a very clinical finisher inside the box.

So don't be surprised if one of Lasogga or Volland will be selected ahead of Gomez or Kruse(too similar to our AMs, nothing standout and in poor club form lately)