Surinamese government has finally made a crucial decision

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Surinamese-man, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    For everyone who is interested in this, the Surinamese government has decided to introduce sports passports. That means that from now on all Dutch football players with Surinamese roots can be selected for the national team.
    The Surinamese Football Association has struggled for years to convince the Surinamese government of the importance of involving overseas players. The mission was successful!

carnifex2005, dinamo_zagreb and edcalvi repped this.
  2. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Great news for Concacaf. We need to be more competitive.

Surinamese-man and LordofBrewtown repped this.
  3. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Great news!

Surinamese-man repped this.
  4. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Great news for Concacaf but bad news for a country like Canada. Qualifying got just that much tougher. The amount of great Dutch soccer players over the years with Surinamese roots is ridiculous (Davids, Gullit, Riijkaard, Seedorf, Kluivert, Hasselbaink, De Jong, Wijnaldum, van Dijk and the list goes on). Easily the best nation in CONCACAF when it comes to dual nationals and it isn't even close.

edcalvi repped this.
  5. ChuckBlazersCat

Tottenham Hotspur, Celtic FC, FC St. Pauli, Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 25, 2019
    They wouldn't get probably any of those players you mentioned, but they will be able to get the ones that are one step off the Dutch national team. They're going to be playing the bigger sides a lot more now with the next A League, Gold Cup and WCQ. With the expanded tournament, I think it's a very realistic goal for them to qualify for the World Cup in 2026 or 2030.

Ofori and edcalvi repped this.
  6. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    After qualifying for the Gold Cup, seven more Dutch/Suriname dual nationals have decided to play for Surinam yesterday.

edcalvi repped this.
  7. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    That's right. Most of these players can no longer play for Suriname (except Nigel Hasselbaink, who played the last 2 games against Dominica and Nicaragua when this scheme was introduced).

8. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I suspect the Hasselbaink that was previously referred to was Jimmy Floyd, not Nigel.

9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Suriname could qualify for 2026 especially now that it is a 48 team tournament or even 2030

10. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Yes I know,Jimmy Floyd is Nigels uncle, but in this case I was referring to the law that made it impossible in the past to allow players of Surinamese origin to play for their country.
    Nigel was the first to use the new legislation, so that's what I meant to say.

11. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    My Ghanaian breddah,big up!, We hope to get better performance with stronger players. I have always seen Ghana as a great example of how to improve a sport policy.We can learn al lot from you.

Ofori repped this.
  12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yes Suriname can and they are off to a start. I mean if they can qualify for Gold Cup 2021, then Suriname can actually be a dark horse in that tournament.

13. Kingston-King

Kingston-King Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I also believe that Suriname can do it.I said it a long time ago, Suriname has produced a lot of good players in the Netherlands and other European countries, but for some reason they were never allowed to play for their own country.

14. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Exactly and if more Surinamese players start playing for Suriname they can become a superpower in CONCACAF in a few years at least