Supporters Shield

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Y&B POWER, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    just out of curiousity i wish to know what would have happened if the Crew and KC would have finished the season with the same amount of points GD and GS

which team would have won it in that scenario?

they have finished last season with the same points even-steven head to head(which i've found a wee bit unfair since they met twice at CS while only once at KC) and the same GD but the Crew scored 2 more so they won it

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats why i don't consider the shield to be a MAJOR DOMESTIC TITLE...

MLS Cup
    USOC
    CCC

those are the 3 you should have to win to get the treble/triple...

3. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC

i agree no one really cares for the Shield but in any well established based league accross the world it would be considered as the title winners

4. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this year that won't be an issue - teams only play inter-conference games once at each side's home.

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    CCC isn't a domestic title.

6. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
  7. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I imagine it'd go to their head-to-head results.
    If they split that, then the goal differential of the head to head matches.
    If that's even, then I'd try away goals, head to head.

Purely guessing, but those seem most logical.

8. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    don't think it's the away goals rule coz even in the MLS cup playoffs it does not emply

9. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    No, it's not something that's normally used, but they may take it as one of the later levels of breaking ties. Again, no idea, just a reasonable guess.

10. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    and there's also the the number of wins issue to be considered

i don't actually believe no 1 knows the criteria in this situation and further more i'm not sure the MLS actually HAS one

my wild guess is that the teams split the shield 6 months each

11. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why give it to the teams or even the supporters, its held in such high reguard that they just give it to some random fat old lady and let her hold on to it...

p.s.

There is a criteria, just no one actually cares...teams are to busy going after the MLS CUP, USOC, CCC and hopefully in december the WCC...

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This was all dealt with last season. There is a strict order of seeding done by MLS that is much more expansive than what is listed on the internet or in the MLS Media Guide.

Go back to the MLS N&A Forum around the last week or two of the regular season. It was all explained in excruciating detail with confirmation from the league level. I believe the fourth tiebreaker after GS/GD would've given the Shield to Columbus, but offhand I can't recall the criteria.

The SS by necessity follows MLS tie-breakers. That way the games are played under one set of competitive criteria and impetus.

Or, just send a PM to Sam Pierron.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ties for the Supporters Shield are broken according to the MLS tiebreaker regulations:

If Kansas City had both scored and allowed 2 more goals last season, the first three tiebreakers would have all been even. Step 4 says to go back to step 1, and apply it only to road games for each team. So it would have gone to the team with the best road record in the KC-Columbus head-to-head matches. That would have been Kansas City, since they were 0-1-1 (W-L-T) at Columbus, while Columbus was 0-1-0 at Kansas City. There were a lot of threads about this prior to the last match day, as there were differing interpretations of the rule, and a lot of agreement that this rule is worded poorly, not very well thought-out, and isn't very fair when the teams have played an odd number of matches against each other. But rules are rules and it would have gone to Kansas City.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And I believe the rules above - extracted from the Media Guide are a poorly written "condensed" version of the actual MLS rules. Upon clarification, I believe that had the teams finished tied on GS and GD the next tiebreaker (which escapes me) would've seen the Shield land in Columbus. Frankly, Kansas City blew several opportunities down the stretch to just win a game and be done with it.

15. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Andy they did blow their chances...and yes i do follow the shield and who's going to and does win it...but in reality it just doesn't matter much, for all we knew the Wizards could have cared less...I'm sure they are much happier being defending USOC Champs and having the chance to play in last seasons MLS Cup (and now playing in the champs cup) than Columbus is with their supporters shield (is it even theirs, or does it now belong to the old fat lady???) haha...

16. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Who cares?

If KC really wants that bad send 50 dollars for shipping and a twinkie to the fat bitch that picked it up.

17. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC

thanx Noah but according to rule (4) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played on the road by each team against ALL OTHER teams during the regular season. (road 1-3)

that means that it is not head to head

18. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    or should it be: "against all other TIED teams"

19. mannellaice

mannellaice New Member

May 8, 2001
    KC, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She likes Ho-Ho's, not twinkies.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Read the thread. The posted "rules" are a poor transcription, and are not correct.

21. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC

sorry for keep nagging about it but as i read through the thread it's seems you and Noah are in on a total disagreement as of which of the 2 teams would have won the shield if the GD/GS were equal

well as it as sorrowly seems we may never know the answer but personally i assume that the next tiebreaker you've mentioned refers to the OVERALL road record not HTH but since i can't find last season's scores i can't base my assumption