Supporters Section?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by rickbendes, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

dude mad props to you for havin the juevos to bring that thing in the first place. Secondly Ultras props for hookin up with the trambone player, we're gonna be a proper hinchada yet. :D

As for coordinating things and such, I personally think that the drums should lead, at least until we get some regular chants/songs down solid, so that there is a solid beat for people to jump in with whatever chant/instrument/song they have.

Speeking of drums, fukinA I can't belive the Guerreros brought a whole friggin bass drum that was bad asssss. However even with all the drums we have now we are still missing the one key percussion instrument that every great hinchada, north and south of the border, has at least one of. And I will buy several beers for the man who tells me, or shows a picture of, what said instrument is. ;)

2. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I have never seen the show but, wow. That is a look. I could go half red, half white, and be the sexiest supporter in town. Or nerdiest, it's a fine line.

I couldn't agree more. We should start coordinating between the two groups. In addition to chants, there has already been some talk of exchanging numbers, and getting together for watch parties etc. There are a few spanish chants that I would like to learn, and we need to get them on board with "The Reds". They have an advantage on chants right now, because they come to the games with known chants from Mexican futbol.

3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article, and I agree with it. From a Chantico's Army perspective, we've always known that we'll achieve so much more by working with the organization than against. This is evident in the move of the Supporters Section from section Z (NE Rev's match) to the current location of section A.

We've also said from the beginning that CA would be an independent entity from the team, with our own leadership and process. This is mandatory for the SG to be able to provide honest, unfettered input. Fortunately for us, the Aztex organization has been equally supportive of this position.

In response to Alejo's comment on the original article, I would say that it's up to each SG to form their relationships with the Aztex and other organizations. For instance, I've reached out to Los Guerreros inviting them to our watch events. As I've mentioned before, the more folks we bring to the Aztex SG's, the better. Secondary to that is each SG augmenting it's own membership. If this wasn't the case, then CA would've asked for our own section in the stadium, not a general supporters section. I know that LSD have also formed these relationships with the organization, too.

5. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would make it known that come Sun. I am going to try really hard to get the tampores y bombos, aka percussion instruments, en the center of La Villa.

This will help us to stamp our claim on the whole of the section, it will discourage sitters, and it will give us a nice centrally located musical "hearth" ;) for us to rally, whirl, swirl, and sing around.

6. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people will want to sit during part of the match who sit in the top of Section A. They are no less vital a fan base, so don't slag them off. Doing so will cause them to either sit elsewhere (we lose their voices), or they may decide to stop coming to matches. We're not quite at the point of the Brothers of Ben who can dictate whether folks stand of not in their section, as demand is greater than supply. Everyone supports the squad in different ways.

7. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I understand. I guess, out of sheer honesty, I just think it'll look cooler. :D:rolleyes:

8. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Villa Azteca was rightious on Sun. and IMHO at this point only three things need to be changed, for the long term.

1) All percussion instruments need to be in the lower center of the section, ie not the top center. :rolleyes:

2) I think the percussions should lead the chants/songs and not the other way around, except in cases where the chant/song and it's beat are well know, case in point the Yo se le voy, the Ole ,and the Reds go marching in.

3) We need to situate are flags better, as has been pointed out by mgray and others. I prupose that whenever the percussions end up being lower, and more centrally located, in the section all the "BIG" flags should be down where the walk way meets the bleachers.

9. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4. Take more ********ing pictures!

10. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) No!!! The fans near the lower center do not want to be drum out (especially if some fans have hearing problems or don't want loud drums & horns near them). You want to keep a good distance from them. Besides the kids in front of the band works better.

2) It would be nice if you corporate both English & Spanish chants instead of "bully" Spanish only chants. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread you need to value other people's inputs. Plus I would suggest that we need to march together at least 15 minutes before the game starts (Not one minute before kick off) prior to the drum circle.

For Example:

* Pre-Game Bevvie @ Nomad: 5:00pm - 6:45pm

* Drive To Stadium: 6:45pm - 7:00pm

* Drum Circle: 7:00pm - 7:15pm

* March Into Stadium: 7:15pm

* Kickoff: 7:30pm

However since there's some issue with communication between 2 groups, I would like mgray & Ajejo to settle this issue on working it. Perhaps somebody could do a Spanish Aztex page of Chantico's Army or their own SG website. Just a thought.

3) Personally I would like the flags to be up the stands not lower. Again I'll let mgray & Ajejo settle that issue as well.

4) Just go the Chantico's Army website for pictures.

11. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for Chantico's Army. I appreciate that we have various supporters groups sitting together, but the Army is a separate entity from the other groups. We have our own identity and many of us like to sit with our brothers/sisters in the Army. We're happy to play with, sing with, and chant with our brethren in the ASG's.

Again, NO! From a Chantico's Army perspective, we have our own songs that we would like to sing. We're happy to teach the other groups the songs and chants, and have tried to. We've even deferred to our brethren in Los Guerreros Indigenos and LSD on the drumming, and have tried to sing around them. I would like to see some coordination between the two groups, but have not been able to get anyone other than Alejo to respond to emails. We're happy to work together, but would like the same respect for our songs as we give to their drums and chants.

Again, NO! If you move the flags any lower that the top most row of Section A, you're blocking the view of folks who want to sit in the supporters section and watch the match. If you block our views, be prepared to have an angry Scotsman come down and tell you, "GET THE F#CK OUT OF MY WAY!!!". If you put the flags on the walkway, then you're blocking the view of folks who came to view the match are not and do not want to be part of the Supporters Group.

Alejo, I appreciate your energy, as I've told you numerous times. But you have to take into consideration others in the supporters groups and other before putting forward edicts like this. I want to work with the other supporters groups to share ideas and chants, even giving time to each group for their own unique options. However, if we don't get respect, we don't have to give it. This is not the beginning of a civil way, rather, just a statement of position. If necessary, I'll even go to the organization and work to find a separate, Chantico's Army only, location for next season.

Hear me, CHANTICO'S ARMY WANTS TO WORK WITH OUR OTHER SUPPORTERS. I love the energy of Los Guerreros Indigenos and LSD (when they're able to attend). However, I would remind you that it was Chantico's Army that originally negotiated the position of the supporters section.

12. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mgray & Alejo, the last thing that I don't want between the Aztex SGs (Chanticos, LSD, Los Guerreros Indigenos) is to end up being segregated involunitary or voluntary just like FC Dallas' & Houston Dynamo's SGs are at this moment. You need to iron out the differences right now and get thing functional.

13. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are. We've simply stated our position in CA. At this point, Alejo is the only person from LGI that I've been able to get a return contact from. As I've said before, including in my posting, CA is eager to work with all current and future Aztex Supporters Groups. However, we will also be vocal in supporting our own membership. Splitting the groups is what I would call a "nuclear option", and one that I do not condone.

14. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    I can see this evolving into a Green Street Houligan saga where Alejo spins off to form an evil rogue SG. Then the two groups meet in a deserted parking lot and battle it out with bottles and fistacuffs.

15. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bizarro SG?

[​IMG]

16. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I missing the place on the CA website with current pictures? Under "Photos" I see 2 sets, both from 2008 PDL games.

17. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a number of images that I've not yet had a chance to upload to the new Army site. I'm working on getting these formated and posted.

18. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeesh don't hurt me papa. I never ment for them to come off as edicts, I'm La Villa Idiot not La Villa head. ;) I guess I'm trying too hard again, and I guess I'm still not letting things just be good when their good, AND I guess I ,once again, let my fantasy world ruin my perspective of reality.

Agreed. I think if Hugh, with his array of contact info, where asked to help in this matter things could be "hooked up"

See my reply to quote #2

hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: naaaahhhh

19. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    this is another recipie for disaster. If you want to be in an SG and still watch the match, get tivo, or just watch it on usllive.

agreed

20. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Watching the actual game and being in an SG are mutually exclusive? I didn't realize that supporters groups were actually just unpaid cheerleaders!

So... what are you supporting, exactly, if you're not even watching the game? Amateur drumming? Homemade flag waving? Bilingual chants that you're not even sure you understand?

Ridiculous.

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share your opinion about this 1836. But I think a suitable compromise could be reached regarding the positioning of the large flags, we'll see.

22. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    Sure, you can watch the game, but if you want to watch it to the depth where a flag consistantly waving in your line of sight is going to cause you a massive headache and cause you to turn toward someone in your group and yell at them, you may want to reconsider your location.

I'm not saying you can't watch, but if you're in the section, supporting has to come first, and watching has to come second, Sg's are what you bring to the team not, reacting to what the team brings to you.
    You sing, jump, chant, and wave flags that do get in everyone's sightlines for 90+.

If you want to sing and chant but still watch the game in great depth, do it from a neighboring section.

Ridiculous? Tell me what's logical about a group of people dedicated to serenading 11 men on a weekly basis.

23. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread went from being great to not being good in a few posts.

Some wisdom...

If you're worried about people behind you getting irritated by the flags, position them in the front of the SG. If people in the SG can't handle them, then you have a serious ass problem. You don't have to wave the flags for 90 minutes though, so pick your poison, be courteous but support like mother********ers. It's all about balance, because those non-SG folks are equally as important, though boring.

24. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    this was the point I was trying to get at.

25. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the flags is minimal in regards to the other SG members. The biggest issue we have this year is that we have non-SG members who sit in Section A, so blocking their line of site isn't a good option. And yes, it is assigned seating. However, we also have (again, not ideal, but the reality for this year) one of the three USLLive.com cameras in our section. If you watched the match last Sunday on USLLive.com, as I did, we lost one of the cameras as the flags kept getting in the way. As such, I was asked by the Aztex organization to see what we could do to minimize this. We're going to work with each other to do that, as this season is the first, and everything's not perfect.

Next season? Completely different. We'll work with the organization to get a section on our own, where we can put flags without interfering with non-supporters or broadcasts.

However, this is this season. We live with what we have.

I also disagree with the idea that if you're in the Supporters Section, you can't watch the match and cheer. I've both done and witnessed people doing this at Aztex matches. I'm perfectly capable of waving a flag and watching the match. What I don't care for is not seeing a significant piece of the match (greater than 10%) because I have a flag in my face. This is easily addressed by simply organizing flags and banners well.

Finally, I think the conversation in this forum has been great. Ideas have been exchanged, positions stated. No one has (to my knowledge) been offended. In fact, it's a great indication as to the ownership that we have of the club and the organization. Don't worry, no one's getting a divorce.