Supporters Group Name - Part II

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Jan 20, 2006.

1. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Supporters Group Name

Barra refers to a group of hinchas. Propably arrived from the fact that "barra" in spanish also has the same meaning in English, "bar" (as in the bar room furniture):

[​IMG]

Since a lot of the members of the "barra" are referred as "los borrachos" (the drunkards.".

2. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

3. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Los Borrachos = WINNAR!!!11!! ;)

4. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

Los Borrachos del Tablón (terrace drunks) is River barra.

5. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I reposted his entire message, but I wanted it on the same page as my response...

It was CeltTexan whose impassioned gift of rhetoric turned me onto the idea of having a Hispanic (not particularly Mexican, mind you!) name for ourselves. (If he weren't already our interim President, I'd nominate him as Official PR Man without a moment's hesitation.)

To begin with, I first saw ourselves as having "Battalion This" or "Somebody's Army" or even "Houston Hooligans" (however briefly ;) ) as our name. I thought that English would be the default language, as we do live in the good ol' US of A, no matter how imperfect it can get, and English is our official tongue. But - and this is where CeltTexan comes in - if we are going to be bringing history in the large doses that we have been discussing into this mix, then, yes, he has several very valid points. I am not Texan by birth, but I do find the history of this region to be fascinatingly rich and complex. It is something special into which I think our rivals to the North of us have either been unable or unwilling to tap. (With a name like the Burn, though, what could you really do? And they turned all right, in the overall picture...)

And speaking of the Inferno - I look and see not one, grand supporters group, but one larger one (great bunch of guys, one and all!) and a one or two other, smaller (?), Hispanic-oriented groups, about whom I honestly know very little. Cool. Fine. But not one united voice in the stands on game day. I caught the occasional game on TV out of Dallas, and I heard only one set of drums, and one set of voices, for those games. I could tell merely by listening from the next room in the house that it was the Inferno. Think how much louder and grander they would sound if all of those fanatics were joined under one banner...

Not knocking the Inferno, or La Raza Latina, or anyone else - just making an observation here.

We have a chance here to start at the beginning and form one united front for our passion. Let the other Houston TBD (today, today!!!) groups form as they will - the soccer moms or the under-teens or the local youth leagues or whatever - but let us be the yelling, screaming, noisy, drum-beating, horn-blowing, chest-thumping, alcohol-drinking, adult group whose members truly reflect the cross-section that Houston is.

I don't care if it's English, Spanish, Eskimo or even Portuguese (thanks for pointing that out, out anderson!) A name is simply a tag, a label, a handle, but attitude - well, that's a reason for living.

I'm still not sure how to vote on this one...

6. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Barra 36???

Since that is most likely the name...

or the barra 36er's..

bford

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Based on the leak:

Barra del 36/Barra 36ers'
    The Sheriff's Posse - El 36
    Los Borrachos de Houston :D

8. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The group could make money selling hats that say 36's, similar to the .45s:

[​IMG]

That's the kind of hat to wear to the games!

9. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually quite like this one.

I still hope that if the North End thing works out in the stadium, that we can do something with that name as well.

10. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North End 36'ers

36'ers del Bout Norte

(I'm not sure about my Spanish there, but it's a try)

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    North End 36'ers...probably roughly translated as:

Punta Norte 36vo.

or

Lado Norte 36vo.

12. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    We can even kick it up a notch to Spanglish:

North Barra 36

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    So now that we know the team name when do we pick the supporters group name, and what format will we use?

14. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

15. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that the when portion will be handled at the next supporter's club meeting Feb 11th. There's going to be a lot to do there between naming and elections.

16. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, now, there's one I could go with. I've always been a big fan of Spanglish, and now Portuenglish, as well... ;)

Seriously, I like this one.

17. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like "Club 1836" or something along those lines. I was looking at the bio of Sam Houston to see if I got some inspiration. Other than liking his hat as something for supporters to wear, I thought it was interesting that he was the only person to be governor of two different states, Texas and Tennessee. Funny considering the plight of the Houston Oilers.

18. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    A Baseball cap??? No, no, it has to be a Cowboy hat with our motto which should be:

Fort 1836 - Come And Take It Cabrones!

And I bet they will sell more than Baseball caps, plus they will stick out at your youth games and people will be like wow what is that hat?

19. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm a little hurt that nobody wanted to run with my idea. It brings out the best of both English and Spanish . . .Tex-Mex for sure!

Cheese EncHinchadas with Onions!

The CEOs!!!!!$$$$!!!!

21. MathewsLAT

MathewsLAT New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston
    I still believe that if we go with Sam Houston as an influence; it needs to be the the Ravens and our section the Ravens nest. It is a very respectful name.

22. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
  23. Markus Derailius

Jan 23, 2006
    Houston, TEXAS
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ..your mind's playing tricks on you..

24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    With the team name referring to Texas history, you should be inclusive of the state and taking away Texas soccer from F*C* Dallas, lord knows they don't deserve anything anyway.

I suggest you borrow from Austin and the finest culture that Texas has to offer and name yourselves Putas Del Fuego. In conclusion:

Please secede from the Union

and

Welcome to the league. :D

25. MathewsLAT

MathewsLAT New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston
    Raven black it is an offical color of the team. Again I think that the Ravens is a great name for the support group.